Sunday, June 9, 2013

More of The Most Popular Kitchen in the World*

*according to Betsy

Ho Kay Kampers.....
I'm back from my family reunion celebrating my parents 70th anniversary.
I am the youngest of 5 children, 
so with my inlaws and my nieces and nephews,
 there was a @#$ load of people at my brothers.
but.....
I'm not going to bore you with the details, 'cuz I am nice like that!!!!!

Let's continue with Connie's Vermont kitchen.
To refresh your failing memory.....
this is where we left off.....
Traditional Home Magazine 2004
I designed the cabinetry and the island.
Most stock cabinets have a wider board between the drawers and doors.
I like just a narrow piece of wood, 1 or 1.5" inches.
This way, I can stuff in more drawers in a stack.
Most stock cabinets will only do a couple of small drawers, and then a deeper one.
In the picture above, you can see that I was able to install cabinets with two silverware deep drawers, and then two more in varying depths, that hold pots and plates.
The plate drawers have vertical dowels to keep the stacks from falling over.
I didn't take a picture of it, so here's one I stole off the internet.....
Remember.....
I did this over 10 years ago.....
I am very cool!!!!!
At least I think I did this in the plate drawers in Vermont.....
I know it was done for Connie's Florida home.....
(I can't remember.....)
OY!!!!!
Anyway, it's a good idea.

We chose beadboard for the backsplash, so had to come up with something flame proof for behind the stove.
I decided to keep it simple, and use stainless steel. I don't like having a million different materials in a kitchen.
There's so much other stuff going on, that I need to show some restraint 
somewhere!!!!!
I designed the island to look like the ends were shelving units.
Traditional Home Magazine 2004
Then I had it painted with the yellow detailing that picked up the color of the cabinets.
I like it when the island is a different color than the main cabinets in a kitchen.

There is a small prep sink in the island next to the dishwasher.
This way, Chris can be cleaning up while Connie is working her culinary magic.
It allows him to be somewhat out of the way.....
At least.....
that's the way it was supposed to work.
Who knows if it does.....
I'm afraid to ask.....
Over the island I had  two pendant lights hung with custom paper basket weave lamp shades that were made at Blanche P. Field in the Boston Design Center.
They have diffusers on the bottom for a softer, less glaring light.
Ain't they pretty?????

For the window valance, I designed a simple shape that has little pinch pleats tied to rings screwed into the ceiling.
Actually.....
the rings are drop pulls for furniture drawers that I found, 
and I had the installer use a double headed screw to stick them into the ceiling.
I am very, very, very clever!!!!! 
Like the blurry picture?????
This is what happens when you don't go back up to reshoot a job,
 so you have to blow up pictures you already have, 
and they get really really really blurry.
I am a professional blogger!!!!!
I make money at this!!!!!
At least 100 smackers a month!!!!!

Well now I have gotten you all over excited and hepped up.
Soooooo I better end here, soooooo you can calm down.....


On that note....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

8 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Lovely island and cabinets. The pendant lighting is very nice too!

Susan said...

I carried around the pages of that kitchen for a long time hoping to redo my kitchen. Never happened and I moved. Still think it is the best kitchen ever. Love yellow

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Love it!

Classof65 said...

I generally don't like yellow -- but I love this kitchen! And, yes, you were 'way ahead in style...

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Have been reading through your little bloggie here, and have begun to suspect that you are a writer who uses decorating as a reason to write! p.s. I laughed lots and also like the yummy rooms. I move every year and need the inspiration (so thankyouverymuch), since I must put together whole new houses every stinkin' time.
M

Jayne said...

Beautiful! The window valance is genius!

lala said...

This is such a beautiful kitchen - especially love the cabinets and lighting. What is amazing, is that you did this kitchen in 2004, and you used beadboard backsplash, open shelving, pendants over the island and a farmhouse sink - everything people are doing today - you definitely are a visionary!!!!!

Decdreams said...

OH MY!!! to get to wallow in that kitchen after just surviving on snippets I had cut out yrs. ago, what a treat!!! Seeing the details, just pure delight!!! If that kitchen ran for president it would win hands down!!! It would doubtless do a better job, but I digress.
PLEASE??? another book, you have so much to share, please pamper your adoring public. More!! Bravo!! Encore!!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...