Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Draperies Make the Room!!!

Let's return to my buddy and bidness partner, Kris's bedroom.
We are in the process of redoing it, and I started showing it to you this past Sunday.
To see that post, click here.....
So, on Sunday, we got up to this point in the room's redo.....
Last week, I had the draperies installed.
I chose a simple warm toned ticking stripe from Jasper Fabrics, that are produced by Michael Smith,
Studio 534, the showroom I work with in the Boston Design Center,
 carries it.
I like the way it pulls out the colors of the wallpaper, but isn't visually busy.
The windows don't reach up to the ceiling, so to make them look taller, I plan on installing wooden Venetian blinds just up to where the drapery pole is installed, making the window look like it goes up that high.
It's what I did in the hallway....
The top slats of the blinds stay closed, hiding the fact that there is just wallpaper behind it.
Makes it look like the window goes up that high!!!!!
I am a woman.
I am good at faking things......
Sooooo.....
In Kris's bedroom, we are still waiting for the blinds, but I've had the draperies installed.
I took this picture as the first window was getting it's clothes....
I couldn't wait for the installer to finish.....
We had waited a year for these babies to go up.
If Kris didn't insist on sending her kids to college, we could have done this a lot faster.....

Looking good behind the bed!!!!!
Here they are on both windows....
We can't wait to change the bedding, so please ignore the black and white toile.....

I had the draperies made to gather on a pole.
The pole was mitered to return to the wall, and the gathered fabric covered the return.
This makes for a full luxurious look, without a lot of fuss.
If you gather a drapery on a pole with a finial, you can't get the gathering to return to the wall, so the fabric ends up looking too wide and full.
If it returns to the wall, some of the width is cut down by the turn, and you get the fullness of the fabric without it being so wide.

This is a blurry picture, because once again, I forgot to take a detail shot, and blew up an image that wasn't happy about it.....
I really need to take a shot of how it returns to the wall, so you can understand what I'm ranting about.
So....
So far we've gone from this....
To this
To this
To this
Next up.....
We'll go over the lighting!!!!!

Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

11 comments:

Gwen said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all finished. AWESOME idea to let us see it all step by step!

Anonymous said...

Love them, Betsy..(and love the hall esp.) That’s how I sewed the drapes for my living room many years ago! Easy peasy sewing.. coincidentally, my new set of drapes for the upstairs hall was delivered on Friday, but they made me cry..
The seamstress cut them an inch too short, didn’t use a blind stitch anywhere on the curtain, and didn’t even bother cutting the selvedges off!
Why didn’t I sew them myself??? Because I wanted goblet pleats and was afraid to tackle them with this very expensive yardage..
She rocks at slipcovers, but clearly not at drapes.And they were so expensive..I wound up sewing trim along the front edge, and luckily, the bottom is hidden behind the sofa.
That’s when I wished I had a ‘Betsy’ friend to give her hell.
Dolores

Sue said...

Love your talent at combining patterns. It IS a talent. Love my house but still not feeling like it is the cozy home I want....except when it is filled with my friends! They are kind- they think I can decorate ! Ha, they haven't seen what you do! Thanks for sharing...thinking maybe my fingertips will catch your style if they touch your pictures on my screen long enough.

Rita's Recipes said...

Well good, now I've decided to move the bed in front of the window in my guest room, have the curtains return to the wall and use an iron bed (now in my garage). What's next?

20 North Ora said...

Love those drapes with the wallpaper. The room is moving right along!

Judy

Anonymous said...

How is the rod mounted? I see no visible support or interruption in the curtain folds. Please show us your magic! The room is so much prettier already - can't wait to see the finishing touches! Barbara in Mn

Anonymous said...

Not colors I would go for usually but this is the most handsome home! Every room is so comfortable and says home but in a very "I have money but don't have to brag about it" way! Really love seeing each room.

momtofatdogs said...

This is all so beautiful. I have been lurking on your blog & get so much inspriation from your pictures. Even the crappy ones! (picture quality I mean....)

Sam

Anonymous said...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrap+around+curtain+rod&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eyjLUYDcOoeq4AOxqYGACg&sqi=2&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1254&bih=830
Hi Barbara,
This type of rod is called a ‘wrap-around rod’- mine were big fat wooden poles with a curved wood elbow. I tried to google them, them but maybe they aren't being made? I did find many metal ones for you.Unfortunately I changed drapes/hardware some years ago, so can’t remember exactly how my husband mounted them- but the mount really was not visible.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Betsy. Love the format of showing us the progress of a room. I'm finding it extremely helpful to see the layering of decisions. This is just the help I've needed as I tackle decorating my new house.

Penelope Tucker

mrsben said...

Beautiful job!
Question: Re the (room darkening wrap-around) rod used in Kris's room. Could you kindly share the source please. Have looked for similar to no avail, so am at this point 'n time am actually contemplating on making my own out of electrical conduit. As my curtain heading will be using eyelet rings with two single hooks (to create a wave style); a half decent projection is also required which these appear to have. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
-Brenda-

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...