Thursday, June 27, 2013

How to Add Light to a Bedroom

Today is my birthday, and I'm 39!!!!!
O.K.....I'm 47!!!!!
Well.....how about 53?????
All right, all right, I'm never going to see 60 again....
(jeesh....)
 So, for my big day.....
I'm going over to my buddy, Kris's house, and.....
 hang pictures in her powder room!!!!!
Par-tay!!
I know how to live on the edge!!!

And then for even more fun, we'll head on over to the marble and stone store,
and choose a small piece to replace the top of the new antique table we got at auction for her guest room!!!!!
(Can a person have a new antique table?????)
(It's an antique table that she just got, so it's new for her.....)
The top is cracked, so I removed the metal galley rail in the picture above,
 that's why it's sitting on a slant,
 I had just shown Kris how smarht I am by showing how to take it off, 
so we could replace the broken onyx.
It sits between the two twin beds in the guest room, 
and I'm not going to show the room to you yet, 'cause we still be goin' over the master bedroom,
 so stop pushing me, already.....
We got this table at auction for 60 smackers.
I don't know why no one bid against us.....
Don't they like broken @#$????
Well WE DO!!!!

Let's get back to the master bedroom now that I've teased you with this peak.
When people get older.....
they need a lot of light to see stuff.....
So I gave Kris a lot of light around her bed, 'cuz she be almost as old as I am.
We put a couple of recessed lights over the pillows, so that Kris, and her husband Keith could each have their own source of illumination.
The two are switched separately, on either side of the window,
so if someone is snoozing, 
the light only needs to be on over the spouse that is reading!
To figure out where the fixtures should go, I had Kris sit up in bed, 
and then I measured to her outside shoulder. 
That's where you want the light, so it's not right over your head,
 but a little to the side. 

In the center of the ceiling we chose a 1920's fixture I found on ebay.
It's nice and vintage, and gives a good all over glow to the room.
On either side of the bed, we're using a pair of lamps from our inventory.
They are unusual alabaster, as they have a red tone to the stone, that works really well with the colors in the space.
One of the great things about having something not sell.....
Is then we get to use it!!!!!

To answer the questions I got on my last post, about the draperies.
The wooden pole is cut in a miter, and then attached to the short sides with screws.
Then the sharp ends are cut down, so the curtain pocket can make it around the turn. 
Making a big U shape.
That's the way that my workroom makes the poles that return to the wall.
The way they are mounted on the wall, is with angle irons, or brackets, or whatever the hell they're called.
Install one just under the L return to the wall.
Then, if the draperies are wide, like the ones above, mount a second one a little way in towards the middle, but behind the draperies.
It will be hidden.
And that's the secret about how you do that!
At least if you're a big shot professional workroom.

An easier way to do this,
 which is how I was going to do it for my niece, 
is.....
 just cut the pole to the length you want, then mount the angle brackets to the very end of the pole.
The bottom of the pole would be resting on the top of the bracket.
The fabric can gather onto the angle bracket, 
and return to the wall that way.
The gathered fabric, hides the bracket.
The bracket will look like a continuation of the pole.

Well!!!!!
This has been a very informative post, if I do say so myself!!!!
I just realized I didn't answer the questions about how to make a double bed into a queen size.
I will get to that next time.

I want to thank everyone for the comments I've been receiving.
I lurv them!!!!
They make me a happy camper!!!!!
I have to figure out how I can respond on the comment page.
I don't know how to do that, so if someone out there knows, please inform me.

On that note,
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

37 comments:

Gwen said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Lee said...

🎈HaPpY BiRtHdAy Betsy!🎈
Thanks for the smiles~have a great day! 🌹

PS I just stumbled on how to add the balloons and rose...feeling quite smart in my old age!

Laura's Rose Garden said...

Happy Birthday Betsy!!!
Have a freakin' exquisite day!!
The table is gorgeous! In our area (Eastern Ontario) antique furniture sells for relatively cheap prices at auctions. Well made old stuff is superior (and more interesting) to the "Mac-Tac and sawdust" furniture available nowadays. Have a great day!, Laura.
p.s. My Hubby, Tim's, birthday is today also. We will drink a toast to you tonight at dinner while we are eating barbeque ribs!!! L.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betsy, you are great and I am almost as young as you! Thanks for all the information you provide, I learn something new every time I read your blog.

lynngweeny said...

Happy Burfday from a loyal reader....
Lynngweeny

20 North Ora said...

Happy, happy birthday Betsy! If they keep telling you that you get better with age - don't believe them! LOL

Love that darling table.

Judy

Chris Quilts said...

I have been following your blog for a few months and LOVE everything I have seen. Couldn't let today go by without a comment. It is my birthday, too! And 60 is a distant memory. I tell people, "no more birthdays, just give-me-presents-day"! Keep us informed of your latest projects. Love them all. Chris

Anonymous said...

Happy 39th Birthday, Betsy!!!;) I love the vintage lighting and the table. That wallpaper is gorgeous (my favorite colors)!
Michelle

fixitfaerie said...

Happy Birthday to you.....I was not excited about my bday this year, early June. Next year th six 0. But oh well what's the choice? Yep just keep on keeping on. Hope you have a great day.

Dawna (Stitches from the Tub) said...

Happy Birthday Betsy. May your day be filled with as much joy & laughter as you give all of us with your posts.

The new antique is fabulous.

Jeannine520 said...

Happy Birthday Betsy, I hope you have a wonderful day.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Birthday, Betsy! I hope it is especially happy!

XO,

Sheila

Jan said...

Happy Birthday Betsy!!! I love the little table and that vintage lighting. I always look forward to your blog entries...they make me LOL!!!

~Jan in TN

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Betsy! I've been following you for awhile - like since the 80's! Love your decorating, and your sense of humor makes it such a fun blog. I hope you have the greatest of birthdays, at least until next year. And I won't see 60 again either.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday , dear Betsy!!! I do believe that this entitles me to another tall Pimms- since I finished the first one not realizing that today was your birthday. Can’t let your day go uncelebrated. No way.. So here’s to Betsy!! Hip hip hurray!!!
And yesterday was my son’s, who is all of 32 yrs old...
Love the attention to detail in this master bedroom; love a room where the design does not neglect comfort and livability.You make everything look so effortless- but I can see how much thought goes into the plan.
Dolores

Donnamae said...

Happy Birthday Betsy...you rock, no matter what your age! ;)

Rhonda said...

Birthday blessings to you, Betsy!

mray said...

Hey, Hope your birthday was wonderful! You look pretty good pushing forty!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your parents for giving the One-and-Only-Betsy to our world! It would be a much duller world without you - and eBay would be awash in plates, dogs and birds! Hope it's a Happy Day for you! Barbara in Mn

Nutbird said...

Happy Birthday Betsy! The good news is that you made it to this age. Which is probably around my age. I have to read that thing about the return, which I am acquainted with, and the angle iron, which I don't understand, over and over again. If you like to drink, Pimms is great with Trader Joe's Lemonade. Ann, from Connecticut with the red dining room.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birth-month to you .... Drag the fun out with all your friends even into the next month....keep the funny stories coming.... Thanks for the humor mixed w/ really good interior design...Teresa

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betsy! When I read your blog I laugh and learn! Susan

Amy Davis said...

Happy Birthday Betsy!!! Today is also my grandson's birthday. He is all of 13. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Oh Betsy, I LOVE the vintage ceiling fixture!! Not being a chicklet myself I find the 'wiser' I get the more I appreciate vintagy stuff!! It's pretty and I miss seeing pretty in the current trends.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betsy! Today is also my dad's birthday:) I hope your day was over the moon! Gail

Di said...

Happy Birthday Betsy......may you have many more! Oh, thanks for the info learning much!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betsy!!! I know how you feel since I'll never see 60 again either.

Anonymous said...

Count your age by friends, not years...happy birthday you wonderful you! Suzi

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to a fellow Monmouth College alumni! I love your blog. I can't visualize how the L bracket attaches to the wood rod and still lets the curtain go over it. Could you please post a picture of that because I want to try that idea. Thanks.

Jaybird said...

Happy Birthday!!! You are so fun, informative and interesting that no-one is counting the years, so go ahead and be 39 :^)
Many blessings to you in the upcoming year,
J

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betsy! I will soon kiss 60 goodbye too. I've been a fan of yours for decades. I have a file of probably all your magazine features. It took me a long time to realize that most of the stuff I saved was all by you. Love your work. Very inspirational for the work I've done on my 1929 house over several decades. Thanks for the awesome inspiration. I check your blog daily, hoping for new posts. Nancy

Anonymous said...

You have an adorable writing style! Very much enjoyed your post. Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betsy, and many, many thanks for all the inspiration and information you so generously share here. You're fun and fabulous!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

mmmm Happy Birthday ! a day or two late and a lotta dollars short...it was my Sil's birthday too and he was 50. He is now older than I am or at least that's my story.
to reply to comments posted here just click on the comments, then Post a Comment ! almost too easy for us old gals.
Now I'm going to go get a Margarita to celebrate your birthday, well okay probly TWO since I'm so late.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Betsy!!

Jayne said...

Happy belated birthday!!!!!!

Caren said...

Thank you so much for these tips! My home in Alexandria Station needs a little boost especially in the lighting department.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...