Sunday, June 2, 2013

Faux Stone Painted Table

I know, I know.....
I keep saying I'm going to reveal Connie's kitchen.
But I really want to show off one of my new furniture paint jobs.
Not a paint job of new furniture.....
but...
a new paint job of an old piece of furniture.....
I found a coffee table on Craig's List.
I love me some Craig's List!!!!!
Here's the finished product.
This is how it looked when I bought it.....


Tres Chic, N'est Pas???????
(I took 9 years of French, starting in third grade.....)
(That's the extent of my prowess......)
(Tres triste, n'est pas?????)
I had to look up what the French word for sad was, I couldn't remember.....
Just think of how much my parents spent on my education!!!!
Money obviously well spent.
Wait....
where was I?????
Oh, yeah, painting a table, Jeesh.....

Soooooo.....
First I painted it in French Linen Chalk Paint.
I painted the body, and the top.....
The first coat always goes on streaky.
That's OK, 'cuz the dry brushing will just go over it like a charm.

Next I painted the top in Graphite Chalk Paint.
And I thought to myself.....
"Self!!!!! That there top looks kinda like stone, sorta, ya know?????"
Whereupon, I answered.....
"No @#$!!!!! It really could look like stone with a little tweaking!!!!!"
Sooooo....
Then I drybrushed some French Linen Chalk Paint over the top.
And I thought ......
Wowza!!!!!
I be gettin' some where.
Let's do some more dry brushing!!!!!
At this point I forgotted to take any more pictures.
(My dad still corrects my pronunciation,
 and claims my sister and I pronounce it: pitcher. 
He be wrong. So there.)
So, I added some Old White....
I mean.....
I was loving this!!!!!
I didn't know if I was delusional, or if it really looked like stone.
So, I had a friend come look at it, and she thought it was heavy stone, so I had her lift the table!!!!!
She couldn't believe it was painted!
I am a rock star, I tell ya!!!!!!

During all this frenzy of creativity, I dry brushed the body with Old White, also.
It creates a really nice Gustavian finish.

Then I waxed it in light wax and added some dark, which I didn't like and removed as much as I could.
I thought the dark wax would add to the stone look, 
but it removed the chalky look of old slate, so I removed IT!!!!!

Then, I distressed it, just a little.
Sometimes I do the distressing after I wax it for a more realistic look.
 Sooooo.....
Here she is in all her glory!!!!!

Here's a close up of the finished stone look of the top, once it was waxed.
I'm really starting to get the hang of an old painted finish.
(In my opinion.....)


Sooooo.....
I am now selling this at Maison Decor for just a little bit of moolah.
Check with Amy if you want it.
Thank goodness for Amy's shop, because I can't have this stuff hanging around my house, I have no room.
This way, when my family has no more projects for me.....
I still get to do stuff!!!!!
I am working on my niece and nephew's house.
I will be sharing our travails soon.
I know I was going to show Connie's kitchen, but there is so much going on, and I want to show it all!!!!!
On that note,
Latah, Gatah
Betsy 
Partying with:
125x125









18 comments:

Thehouseofhampton said...

Oh, you have the hang of it! That looks amazing. If I didn't live across the country I'd go buy it right now! Excellent find and transformation!!!
Sharon

Debra@CommonGround said...

great idea for the finish. it really does look like stone!!

Cynthia said...

You did a great job. Loving the stone look. Very creative and realistic looking.

Cynthia

Amy Chalmers said...

I fell in love with this piece Betsy! It is really gorgeous, and yeah you are sure getting the hang of it...cannot wait to show it off in the shop!

Unknown said...

I love this table and it sure does look like stone. I think I will try this on one of my tables. You are so talented Betsy!

foreverdecorating said...

AS French Linen Chalk Paint is my favorite color next to Old White. Looks like I need to try Graphite by how awesome your table came out!

Pollyanna said...

Really and truly amazing. I Love It!! Thanks for sharing!!

fixitfaerie said...

Love the lines of this table. AND the finish is 'tres bien'! Thanks for sharing. Paula

Anonymous said...

The table is really pretty, Betsy-unfortunately, without a lot of redecorating, it wouldn't fit into my house.But your beautful rug would! :-)

Beth C. said...

Well, if you're going to interrupt our tour of Connie's home with projects like this...interrupt away! Gorgeous. I am dying to get my hands on something to transform! You and Amy have given my the bug! Best, Beth C.

fran sakis said...

Fabulous transformation........it looks great ......you are an artist and you try new techniques a great combination. Fran

Di said...

Betsy the finished product is beautiful, I love it. I may try that on an old cabinet I have.

Anonymous said...

Do you individuals have a facebook fan web page?
I seemed for one on twitter but couldn't discover one, I would love to turn out to be a fan!

Feel free to surf to my web-site; what can i take to get pregnant

Anonymous said...

Betsy, what style of table would you call this and how old do you think it is?
Thank you.

Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Now there's a table I could really love! I'm especially happy you didn't distress it too much ;-) This is really, really pretty!

I once painted a table top (not really having a forethought plan except to get rid of the highly scratched surface)and it turned out to look just like hammered copper! It was gorgeous! The client loved it and said "I didn't think my budget allowed for a metal topped table!" Well, it sure didn't, but a serendipitous paint transformation came to the rescue :-)

Paint: Gotta love it :-)

Sayuri said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!!
No wonder I was drawn to your picture at MMS FFF,because I love Gustavian look!
Thank you for sharing how you achieved the look too!

Faux Painting said...

Nice Faux Painted Table. Looking awesome painting. Wow....

Anonymous said...

that is so cool!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...