Friday, February 24, 2012

Tropical Cottage Accessories Galore!!!!!


Today we will have a visual orgy of tchatchkes!
For those of you not living on the east coast...
Tchatchkes
(pronounced "chotch' skies")
are nothing more, nor less, than knick knacks!!!


Sooooooooooooo.....
In the informative photo above.....
There be lots of them.


As you guys know, if you've been following my blog.....
I am going on and on and on and on.....
about my living room in Florida.
Hence....
The picture above.
(Hence!!!!! I am soooo erudite!!!)



This is my bird lamp!!!
I knocked it over and broke it. I was really really bummed. So I reglued it. But it's never been the same. 
Soooooo I spent two years looking on ebay and found another one for backup. Now I can still be clumsy!!!!!
However.....I still haven't put out the unbroken one. I'm saving it for when I knock this one over again.
Not to point out the obvious, butttt.....
I've been collecting bird stuff for this house.
Bird lamps, 
bird figurines,
 bird prints,
 bird paintings,
 bird brains 
(no, wait....that can't be right!!).
Most of these objet d'art (I am soooo sophisticated!!)
I acquired through my special curator....
AKA: ebay.




My majolica parrot head!!!!
When I first got it, I wasn't really paying too much attention to detail, and I set the cover on backwards, so the feather stuck out in front. It looked like a duck. My friends made fun of me. I hate them all.


Having no pride I'll share with you how it looked.....






OH BOY!!!!
Another parrot. This big guy is made by Royal Copley.
according to Kovels

Royal Copley china was made by the Spaulding China Company of Sebring, Ohio, from 1939 to 1960. The figural planters and the small figurines, especially those with Art Deco designs, are of great collector interest. The planters and figurines are famous for picturing human and animal faces. 

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.....

I've noticed that I seem to be attracted to pottery from around the 1940's. 
Don't know why, I just am!!!!

I also seem to be attracted to pottery of the 1930's, 1920's. 1910's, turn of the century, and so, on and so on, and so on.......


How cool is this guy!!????
This is a piece of Chalkware.

Chalkware
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chalkware was figurines either made of sculpted gypsum or cast
 from plaster moulds and painted with watercolors;[1] most typically
 those made in one of two periods: the first beginning in the late
18th century and ending by the beginning of the 20th century, the second
 being during the Great Depression. Those made during the first
period were more typically serious art; those during the second
period were more typically somewhat jocular. Early chalkware
 was often hollow and can be difficult to find unblemished.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Does this guy seem jocular to you???????



                                     This is a piece of majolica.                                        
                           The pattern is a Water Lily.

I need to end here, 'cuz blogger is acting up
And typing off the page. It is driving me
                                            NUTS!!!!!
                  I'll finish this on Sunday
                          (or Saturday, though probably not)

Betsy



9 comments:

Babs said...

Betsy, You found some great pieces on ebay. That's a great majolica plate. I really love majolica, but a lot of it has become a bit pricey... I'm clumsy and tend to break things too, so I don't want to pay a LOT for breakables. Tropical bird things are so great for a Florida home and it looks like you're have a grand time looking for neat things. Have a great weekend,
Babs

Chez Laurel said...

Ha. You are not the only one with a majolica bird lamp! I live in Seattle--not EXACTLY the Tropics-- yet here I am with my sweet little lamp. So far I have not broken him. I will have to be on guard, now that you have mentioned this possibility. I will try not to lose sleep worrying about this, but I really love my lamp so maybe I will lose some sleep. Oh dear.

AndeM1 said...

betsy......I absolutely love your posts....not only are they pure eye candy...but you have the best sense of humor......I am so glad it is Friday...I am hunkering down and going through your previous posts tonight.......I can't wait!

Maureen Wyatt said...

I've been admiring your Majolica pieces and hoping you would give us a closer look at them. Thanks. ~ Maureen

Victoria said...

omg you make me laugh and I love your post. Very
interesting I love majolica although I only have
two pieces and the are only in the style of not
the real thing but I truly to not give a rat's
#%& cause its the look and not the pedigree to me.
However yours my dear is spectacular as is your
abode just adore it.

Amy Chalmers said...

Betsy, love the birds you have collected! I was wondering about the lampshade on the lamp. Is that the original style, and what is it exactly? Is it fiberglass or some vintage material from the 40s/50s? I saw a lot of those at Brimfield Fair last fall. I just bought my first two majolica pieces at auction last year because they were such a pretty aqua color.

lvroftiques said...

Those are some mighty fine tchatchkes! love em all! And you've gotta love ebay! I too love pottery from the 40's...30's...20's...10's etc etc..You get the picture. Vanna

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

JUst found your blog and will be back for sure! LOVE your humor. Love your tchatchkes too. I LOOOOONG to live in Fl.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll never happen though:( XO, Pinky

Anonymous said...

Great work

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...