Sunday, February 19, 2012

My living room story: AKA... paradise couch potato


Once upon a time,
 there was an old lady who lived in a cottage in FLORIDA!!!!!
She had so many decorating projects that she didn't know what to do!!!!!

This is her living room.....


And this is the process that got her to this point.....

I started with this.....
(this before shot is with the previous owners stuff.)


I know, I know..... I went over this in my last post...
BUT this is just my jumping off point in my continuing saga..... 


Sooooooooo.......
The day I closed on the house, I started moving in.
This, plus a mattress and box spring, was all I had.
I bought the sofa from Crate & Barrel. It was one they had in stock, so I wouldn't have to wait 8-12 weeks for delivery. Only problem was, I didn't like the fabric, but it was really  comfy.
(I was using the white plastic chair as an ottoman.)
(You gots to be able to put your feets up people.)
(Especially while watching TV and eating something bad for you.)

Soooooooooooooooo......
I had my slipcover lady meet me at the store in the AM, before they opened, (the folks at Crate & Barrel were real troupers), and she cut the fabric for the slipcover on the floor model.
Then she sewed it, and shipped it to me in Florida, so when this sofa was delivered, I was able to transform it into a "Betsy" piece.

Sooooooo.....
Then I went from this, with the holes in the wall.....


To this.....
With the hole closed up and the wall extended.....


By now, I had the carpet removed, the wall cabinet ripped out and a hickory floor put down. 
This was my first experience with a prefinished floor.
I admit, I used to turn my nose up at the idea of a ready to go wood floor.
BUT THERE WAS NO DUST!!!!!!!
It went down in two days.
Did I mention that THERE WAS NOT DUST?????

I wasn't going to get my club chairs for an age and a half, 'cuz the fabric was backordered into the next century. 
So in the meantime, I used my pool chairs.


The slipcover came!!!!!
There was much rejoicing in the Speert household.
By now, I had started to find interesting pieces of furniture to add to my tropical flavor.

THE MAIN POINT IN WORKING ON A ROOM ...
Start with a floor plan!!!!!
I didn't go anywhere without my floorplans in my pocketbook.
Then, when I found a piece I liked, I would whip out the old floorplan, and see if I could cram fit it into the room.
THAT'S WHAT I DID WHEN I CAME ACROSS THIS MONSTROSITY!!!!!


I thought to myself...
"Self!! That sure is big!!! Wonder  if I can cram fit that in somewhere?"


Looky!!!!!
I found a place!!!!!
Of course I made some major changes to it before it was delivered to my home.


(View of it in the workshop, I was very excited by the transformation!)

I had the mirrors replaced with raffia wall paper for a West Indies feel.


(The mirrors were reused in my entry hall in Massachusetts.) 
I had the middle door split into two doors, and changed into pocket doors for my TV.



Now, even though since I bought this elephant, my TV is skinnier than the one I started with.....
It still works for hiding my biggest guilty pleasure.
(I don't know if I've told you guys, but I watch EVERY real housewives show.)
(EVERY ONE!!!!!)
(AND THE BACHELOR!!!!!)
(AND MILLIONAIRE MATCHMAKER!!!!)
(AND BETHANY EVER AFTER!!!!!)
(If you look up the meaning of lowbrow in the dictionary....
It says:See Betsy Speert)
(Just sayin')

I have lots more to share, so come on back!!!
Have a nice Sunday.....
Betsy
Linking to

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

7 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

Wow~the clout!~having Crate and Barrel open just for you and your entourage! I mean, slipper cover lady. Hah! I love how the sofa looks. Hey I am a big Bachelor fan myself!!! I hate the model. As you would say, oy vey!

Vicki said...

Transforming that big cabinet is something I would never think to do, but it makes a huge impact. Molto buono, Betsy-roo.

Joselyn @ The DIY Spot said...

Wow, what an undertaking! Transforming a room and the furniture within it as well. I love transforming furniture too. I just cut up the top half of a china cabinet. Good luck with the rest of your room.

Thanks so much for following me through Google Connect. I am switching to Linky Followers and hope you will stay connected. Inviting you to stop by and make the switch. Thanks so much!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I love the way you've transformed that piece, well that entire room. It looks so inviting and comfortable.

I'm with you on the flooring...used to hate the idea of wood floors ready to go but no dust is a BIG, BIG plus! I once had the majority of wood floors refinished while pregnant,...about 7 months pregnant...with my 5th child...and the other four were all age 6 and under! We had to put up all kinds of blockades and make little pathways through the house for us to use. It was CRAZY!

Love your style!

Cassie Bustamante said...

the armoire looks amazing! i love what you did to the doors- it totally fits the feel of the room now. and crate & barrel sounds like they were amazing! :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

OK..what you did to the monstrosity was amazing!..Your blue vintage pottery collection looks great above the cabinetry. I also love that you 'filled in" the window and extended the wall. The room is a true gem...

the decorating chica said...

Wow, what a transformation! Lots of work but really rewarding!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...