Sunday, February 26, 2012

Majolica, Paintings and Ebay...OH MY!!!!


Hiya folks!!!!
I'm writing in a different size font today.
Please let me know if this is too small, or if this is a better size to read.
There are so many different contraptions people use to read blogs, 
that I don't know what size is best.

With that being said!!!!

On with talking about more stuff!!!!

When we last left our heroine, we were looking at the tschatchkes in her living room......
OK, that's as long as I can refer to myself in the third person......


When I stopped Fridays blog, it was because blogger was having fits, and typing right off the page. 
So I will continue at the point I left off.

In order to look super smart, I have been googling all the stuff I'm showing you.
So it looks like I know what I writing about.
AND I JUST FOUND OUT SOMETHING REALLY COOL!!!!!

The dish shown in the photo above, as was previously stated. is majolica.
OK, that I knew.........
What I didn't know (or I may have known at one time, and have forgotten)
(that is starting to happen, more and more)
(It's not 'cuz I'm old, it's 'cuz I know SO MUCH STUFF there is no way I can remember it all!!!)
OY, where was I?????
Oh, yeah, it's majolica, but it's English majolica.
Then the Americans got in on this pattern, and started making some.

The American pottery is called Etruscan, and has a stamp like this on the  back.....


The American pottery is not as common, and tends to be more colorful.
I have four pieces of it.
Who Knew???
Here's a close up of the Etruscan.....


OK, enough about majolica, 
I'm getting bored, so you probably are too.....
Next!!!
Lets talk about my white and turquoise collection.
What's really weird, is that this stuff is from America and England also.


The American pottery is called Catalina, and was made in California from 1927-1942.
It's the stuff with the white outside, and the blue inside......
Looking at this collection, I could have sworn I had more Poole Pottery,
(the blue shell with the white inside). 
But I must have been thinking of what I found for my client and friend, Connie.
So.....
Connie.....
See how I put you first???????
Anyway, not that any of you really care, but Poole Pottery is from England.
I know......Big whoop, right?????


Some vases.....


A bowl.....


Some more vases.....


A console bowl.....

Generally.....
If you group enough of one type of thing together.... it forms a collection...and can look pretty cool!!!!!



I really like this vignette.....
I think it has a lot of humor.......
and besides.....it's pretty!!!!!

The ceramic parrots are from Germany.
They were produced in the Karl Ens Volsktedt factory.
Sometime between 1890 and 1972. 
I don't know when, don't ask ME!!


Continuing the parrot theme.....
I found this GREAT!!! oil painting from some place in Europe, I can't remember where.....
Of course I bought it on ebay.....
'course, I could say I got it in my extensive travels.....
BUT I DON'T LIKE TO TRAVEL...
because....then I'm not home.
And I LOVE BEING HOME!!!!!
(I want to sleep in my bed with my pillow!!!)
(My family and friends think I'm set in my ways)
(HA!)

OY, where was I?????  
Oh, yeh... My stuff...This oil painting....Of some parrots....


It's flanked by a pair of Cuban watercolors that I just love.
The frames came this way, all chippy and wonderful...



Gawd!!!
I can't believe how much there is to share with the class!!!!
This is turning into a really long post, so let me end here.....
And I will finish up this room, next time.

Photobucket
Following at:
Sunday's Best Linky Party!         It's so very cheri

















DelectableHome    UndertheTableandDreaming
Buttonyou are talking too much 
Boogieboard Cottage     Mod Vintage Life

      A Diamond in the Stuff

Ivy and ElephantsNo Minimalist Here

shabby creek cottage It's Overflowing
CLICK TO JOIN LINKY PARTYHookingupwithHoH
French Country Cottage
vif187

25 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Betsy,
Love your pretty wall vingette. Love the majolica too. My sister has over 200 pieces of majolica!!! She collects only the greens, yellows and pinks.
Great stuff you are showing us.

hugs
Sissie

Salmagundi said...

Fun stuff!! So different from what I seem to accumulate, which makes it SO interesting to me. Sally

Amy Chalmers said...

Laughing again, this blog is so fun and decorator smart! I LOVE those parrots Betsy! I remember having to read up on majolica AFTER I bought two plates at auction. So much to know and not enough brain capacity. Nice to know you love chippy stuff too.

Cindy said...

Oh man, those ceramic parrots are awesome! and i love the pottery with the blue too, especially all grouped together. You're such a trip to read, always funny...
and i'm with you, i like my own home and my own bed!

Cindy

lvroftiques said...

Love it all! It makes for a great mix. Vanna

Lori said...

I love going to a party and meeting new friends. So glad I found your blog at the Delectable Home party. I'm now following through GFC and LF. I would love if you stopped by and followed back, so we can stay connected. So nice to meet you, Lori....By the way, I love the pottery. Would it be awful if I painted some other pottery to copy the look?...Hope not, cause I'm likin' the idea!

Tisha Clapp said...

Such beautiful pieces and a great vignette! I'm loving the turquoise, of course, but the parrots are so fun too. Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Found you at Meet Me Monday. I Love the collection! Turquoise and white are fabulous together.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very pretty wall with the mix of pottery and prints! Loving the vases!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Very pretty and fun vignette! Especially love the turquoise and white.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Betsy,
I just found your blog through Masterpiece Monday, its a pleasure meeting you. I love your blog and enjoyed reading your post very much. The Catalina pottery is my favorite the blue turquoise and white is beautiful,I am in love with it!. I have become your newest follower.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Victoria said...

love the majolica,love the art, the grouping and
the history. Just ordered your book on color
and pattern yesterday looking forward to perusing
its pages.

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

I didn't know about the Catalina -- I LOVE it! I am going to have to hunt for some now. I am not sure that I *need* a new obsession, but then, that's never stopped me before! Ha!

Love this area -- I just pinned a picture from a post the other day that showed off the beautiful flower painting. Love it!

~Angela~

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love all your fabulous collection, specially the German parrots, gorgeous! Terrific artwork too. Great collection and I love where you have it displayed. Hugs,
FABBY

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Wow your vignette is gorgeous. All you collection are so pretty, love the parrots, and aqua and white vases. Very nice! Great artwork!!!
Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

Cynthia said...

The pootery is beautiful. Great vignette.

Vicki said...

Betsy, I've missed your blog!!! It is so you, I can just hear your voice. I like the new look very much, and I like the way you showed the pottery and paintings up close. Yay for google search (for info).

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh my...gotta get some Poole Pottery...love it...You have featured your pottery so beautifully in the room...such eye candy!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

loved that white pottery with the blue interior - the American stuff but the English pottery was really pretty too. So happy you linked this to BeColorful
As for the font, the bigger the better for me. I don't like to have to work to read something.
pam

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Holy cow! Someone recently gave me a vase shaped e-x-a-c-t-l-y like one you pictured here. I wasn't too keen on it for myself and was going to give it away. I'd better check to see if it's Poole or a knock-off! Ya wanna piece of Poole, if it's genuine? {wink}

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Oh Betsy---Yikes! After re-reading your blog, I realize my vase is a Catalina vase...or probably a knock off. Guess it's not Poole...Oh well ;-)

Cameo said...

Too much muchness as the Madhatter would say! Crazy about the parrots. I too am starting a little birdie collection!!! Many days I wish I were a bird!!!! LOL!!!

very merry vintage style said...

Love the blue and white pottery; I'll have to keep my eye out for it next time I'm antiquing. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style!
Mary

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Deborah said...

I love your style and enthusiasm but most of all I love that Poole lookalike pottery, amazing. I live about 30 miles from where it was made

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...