Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Chalk Paint Step by Step......

O.K. kampers!!!!!
I've been spending lots of time down in my dungeon basement cellar
FABULOUS ARTIST'S STUDIO.
It must be the raw cinder block walls and unpainted dirty cement floor that inspire me.....
One of these years I will actually have it painted.
If the walls were white, it would be much brighter down there....
but then I would have to have men in my house to do the painting.....
and I would have to move all my stuff around down there.....
but I spend so much time in the dark dank hole of my workshop that you'd think I'd want to fix it up.
I MEAN....I AM a designer....
it IS  the last space that needs work in my home.....
But.....
the thought of dealing with it doesn't make me want to do it.
It makes me want to ignore it.
BUT.....
once it was done.....
I'D BE SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!
I KNOW!!!!!
I'll just put it on the back burner and think about doing it for...
a little while (ha) longer.....
anyway.....
let me show you my newest project....

I found this table for my niece Miriam's living room.
Last year I did her dining room, and this year I'm helping her and her hubby, Ross, with their living room.
Sooooooo.....
I found this table on Craig's List.....
It was listed for 50 smackers, but I got it for $35!!!!!
Here it is in my lovely studio.....
Miriam and I 
(well.....I informed her.....what I wanted to do.....and she said OK.....)
decided that I should paint this green, but she wanted the details highlighted.
So......
I fearlessly (and recklessly) painted it in 
Antibes Green chalk paint......
It came out screaming green.....
florescent!!!!!
Here it is with just one coat of green paint.....
Being somewhat delusional.....
I thought it had to look better with a second coat!!!!!
OY, OY, OY....
OY
Oy
oy
oy
oy
Sooooo....
I whipped out my trusty artists pad.....
and painted some of this here green on it.....
let it dry.....
and then I applied dark wax to see how it would look....
Ho Kay!!!!!
Me Likey!!!!
Every time I paint a piece of furniture it's an adventure.
I never know what's going to happen because I never do the same thing twice.
I mean.....
I wouldn't want to benefit from my own experience!!!!!
So,
this was dark wax directly over the paint.
I've never done that before.
It's VERY scary because once it's on, you can't take it back.
If you apply dark wax over clear wax, you can always remove it if you don't like it.
I like to live dangerously!!!!!
I like to live on the edge!!!!!
I run with scissors!!!!!
(No I don't, I'm too old to run.....)
Anyway.....
Now, I had to figure out how to do the detailing, so I started on the carvings at the top of the legs.
Well!!!!!
Isn't that special!!!!!
It shows how crappy the carving is!!!!
And it looks like a nursery school color scheme!!!!
No
No
No, No, No....
I hated it.
painted over it.
I know!!!!
Lets try Old White.
So I attacked the details on the top and the feet.
One coat of white.

(they look like socks....)
Added a second coat of white.....

Then I taped off where I wanted the blue stripes on the top.
The sides of the top had the carving that looked like a binding, so I continued the line across the top of the table....
Below before the lines.....
Then I taped it....
And painted it with Greek Blue chalk paint.
I felt it was a blue that had too much red in it, so I then dry brushed some Duck Egg Blue over it.....
Then I got a little insane and dry brushed some of the Duck Egg over the details I had painted in white.
It gave the white a more aged look.
Then it was time to stop screwing around and finish the damn table.....
So I got out my gritty sandpaper and distressed the finish.



Then I threw caution to the winds and applied the dark wax.
I like the way it came out.....
but I'll never do dark wax over raw paint again....
It's toooooo scary.





Sooooooo.....
then I went to Pic Monkey and made a bunch of side by sides to show you guys.....





Sooooooo.....
Miriam better like this.....
On that note.....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
Furniture Feature Fridays<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>


24 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Betsy - That's a very interesting piece of furniture. Don't know that I've ever seen one quite like that. Love it. Definitely like it with the dark wax.

Judy

fixitfaerie said...

I like it. It is a very different shape and it calls for a different finish.
Okay, If you are in a dark basement, do you at least listen to loud music when you work down there? I have to have zippy music, like today, I'm painting my kitchen and my fireplace wall. I'll probaby have to go in traction after this. lol Good work. Paula

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

WHat a great color! It works so well with the interesting shape of the piece!

adesignart said...

You are so funny.It makes your blog fun to read. I will have to try the chalk paint.

Charlotte Des Fleurs said...

I love the look of painted furniture but every time I think about it in MY house, I cannot think of where I want to add a painted piece. However, just last Saturday, I stumbled upon the ONLY Anne Sloan Chalk Paint dealer within 60 miles of ma petite maison - wonderful colors (love the duck Egg Blue and the Provence Blue). Must say, I am tempted.

The painted piece I currently have is an old, formerly ratty TV cabinet that one of my Dad's friends made for him way back in the 50's. Does that qualify to be called "Vintage".

My Dad had remarried and his wife, wisely, did not want that "thing" in their home. One day my Dad showed up at my house with this cabinet because he knew that I liked antiques. So, it sat in my garage for 5 or 6 years emitting a faint aroma of ancient cigarette smoke courtesy of the orginal owner. I needed a buffet in my family room, so what the heck, I vacuumed out the spiders and scrubbed it down with lots of Pinesol to remove the cigarette smoke. Once I brought it inside I knew it had to be painted. Orange shellac just was not cutting it!

Painted the whole thing an eggshell black. Accessorized, it actually looks pretty good! The black paint is a nice contrast to my French Toile drapes and my chestnut colored dining furniture. I have thought about stenciling something French (a rooster perhaps) on the doors to upgrade it. However, maybe it just needs to be what it is - a quirky, "interesting", rustic thing with a bit of history connected to our family.

Smiles from My Slice of Provence, Charlotte Des Fleurs

Nutbird said...

I took a course at Shades of Amber at the first dealer in Colorado, north of Colorado Springs. I guess I didn't pay a lot of attention, because I had the same dark wax problem. The owner said that dark wax can be removed with White Wax! The magic never ends with this stuff! I have missed the whole trend to metallic touches, so I guess I'll have to get up to Maison Decor to see if she has a workshop on that. AnnW

Kathy's Fistfull of Daisies said...

I likey! Thanks for taking us on the honest path with you! You make me laugh, and I can totally relate to your candor and experiences!

Mary Anne Komar said...

Okay here's the solution for your dungeon. Invite us all over for a sleep over and we can all attack the above mentioned space, we can even bring our own paint brushes, IF you provide the brownies and ice cream, what d'ya think?

Amy Chalmers said...

What a creative attack plan on this most unusual table! I was right with you on the OY part....but as usual if you don't like something you can always get it to great if you just keep going. And you are brilliant at that part, cuz it came out very cool! PS I have a large rustic coffee table in our TV room in Antibes with dark wax finish.

Beth C. said...

You're getting pretty good at this chalk paint stuff...and your photgraphy skilz are improving too! I am itching to try chalk paint. Best, Beth C.

Anonymous said...

Bravo for you...I would have probably quit half way through...your perseverance paid off big time. It is lovely and you brought out the lines of the piece beautifully. Your niece is a lucky girl!

Lorraine said...

What a quirky table! It looks great in that color...at least AFTER the wax....before that you could have used it as a guide in a dark room.

Shelley Davis said...

This is not my favorite redo. Such a beautiful table before.

Myra said...

Love AS Chalk Paint. There is nothing you can do that can't be fixed! Go for it. Fun product.

Unknown said...

LOVE the green color, LOVE the detailing, LOVE the dark wax !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Love...Love...Love....Oh and did I say that I loved it????

Well done and if Miriam doesn't like it...you have my address.

Janet xox
The Empty Nest

Jayne said...

Where do you find these unusual pieces, I've never seen a table like that. I must admit that green without the dark wax was really bright! But absolutely love how it came out, delightful!!

Divine Theatre said...

I love the results! I agree, it did look a little like Phyllis Diller before the Dark Wax! Dark Wax was exactly what it needed!

xo,

Andie

michele said...

what's not to love. you outdid yourself! bravo.

michele
hello lovely

Emma Kate at Paint and Style said...

It's distressed to perfection! And I love your writing style! xx

Emma Kate at Paint and Style said...

How freaky. I just followed you and I'm no.777! That's my date of birth, well with a 0 on the end! Do I get a prize? x

Eppie Doodle said...

You are right. The legs of the table does look like it has socks on! You did well to cover it's little tootsies with the dark wax. It is certainly an interesting piece.
Take care.
Emily

Good Time Charlie said...

Wow, what a gorgeous table!! Thank you so much for sharing at redoux interiors!

Michele Smith said...

Found your blog from French Country Cottage link up. I freaked out the first time I used Antibes green too, I freaked out so much I painted Chateau grey over it. I couldn't do it LOL But I did just paint the back of my son's bookshelf with it and it looks great.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...