Saturday, April 13, 2013

Masculine Seaside Bedroom

Well.....
Now that we've seen everything in Connie's bedroom.....
let's move on to her hubby's room!!!!!
His name is Chris, and he is a sweety pie,
(just don't tell him I said so....)
A  big advantage of having aging couples as clients,
(yes, I include myself in this group.....)
 is that many of them now have separate bedrooms due to changing sleep patterns and accepting the importance of a good nights sleep in regards to one's health.

I've noticed that this is becoming less of an exception to the rule, and more the norm.....
Whether it be someone getting up in the middle of the night and fleeing to the guest room,
or just acknowledging the reality of what happens to baby boomers as we age.
Some of us develop restless legs,
some of us get a little noisier,
some of us get a little  a lot warmer.....
What ever the reason.....
now we can have girly rooms and butch rooms!!!!!
Below is the way Chris's room looked before we "fluffed" it.
We hadn't gotten the bedding yet, and this shot is when he first moved in.
The Previous Designer (TPD) had chosen the furniture from British Khaki
and I actually liked most of what she chose.
But.....
True to form.....
the night tables were at different heights, and the one on the right, she had placed on the left and it blocked the window.
The bookcase on the right, she had placed on the left, and it was much higher.
Soooooo.....
I switched them and had the bookcase cut down, so it would be the same height as the table.
The reason I placed it in on the left of the bed, is because.....
with an open back, you can see through it, so it's OK in front of the window.
Chris had collected wonderful African art from his travels, and this was the perfect setting to show it all off.

Connie and I chose the earth tone batik-like fabric that Pottery Barn has on sale right now!!!!!
It was a great match with the lamps I had found years ago at Brunschwig & Fils.
The room opens up to an upstairs porch that looks out over the beach to the ocean.
The wall of French doors supplies a stunning view.....
But....
one of the problems of living by the ocean is the salt water spray is really corrosive, and everything starts to rust.....
So this year Connie and I went and found new chairs for the porch.
Then I dragged her to Home Goods and we scooped up that fake plant!!!!!
The door behind the chair opens into Connie's bedroom, so this creates the master suite.
Next post is some more about this room, and then it's on to other stuff!!!!!
On that note.....
all together now.....
Latah, Gatah!!!
Photobucket

12 comments:

Calypso In The Country said...

What a stunning room - and you can't beat that location! My inlaws have separate rooms because my father in law snores. I guess it is getting more common to do that!
-Shelley

Divine Theatre said...

Oh! M! Gee! These stools want to come and live in this room! I have been eyeing them for an eternity but they fit nowhere in my home...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/fuo/3738668309.html

I LOVE this room, Betsy!

xo

Andie

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such a nice room, love the fabric! Gorgeous views!
Blessings,
Cindy

20 North Ora said...

What a view to wake up to!! WOW! It is a very manly room. Great job!

Judy

Mary said...

My parents had separate bedrooms, although my mother still had two closets-well really 4 when my sister I moved out!

I love the African art and the bedding is gorgeous.

Great home!

fixitfaerie said...

I am going to show this to my husband of 36 yrs. He falls asleep every nite at 9-9:30 on the couch, with all lights on and the TV blarring. He wakes up around 1am and gets into bed with me. Then, (he just walked in and I explained what you said about separete bedrooms, and he said 'don't want to do that'. nyways, I told him it wouldn't be his bedroom (ha) but instead of messing up my new furniture that is coming, "we will just put a TV in the guest room so that he can come to bed instead of the couch. He grunted OK. Hey hope this works, because I'm tired of him complaining about the overhead fan and my snoring! How is it all the noise and lights in the living room don't bother him at all. I'll get my way, I always do! Paula

DaiseyJayne.com said...

That room is beautiful, it's masculine and looks so comfortable :)

Charlotte Des Fleurs said...

Sad but true about separate bedrooms as we get older. Hubby has had a gazillion surgeries - (back, knees, sinuses, gallbladder, etc.) over the last few years. Plus, he has sleep apnea and likes loud, violent TV shows like bullriding and the fights.

Almost every night he sleeps in the guest room because he stays up much later than I do. (I am an "early to bed, early to rise" kind of girl.) Think it's time to offically claim our bedroom as my boudoire. That way I can finally girlify the space and get the police scanner off the writing desk and the cowboy boots off the floor. And, HE doesn't like the gorgeous French crystal chandelier I want to hang over the bed.

Life is short. Make your home beautiful.

Smiles from My Slice of Provence,

Charlotte Des Fleurs

Kathleen said...

I LOVE the bed. Oh boy, we pretty much play musical beds around here too. What a life to wake up to that view!! One can only dream about it in a very cold climate home :(

Andi's English Attic said...

Second attempt at leaving a comment:
Helen Mirran says the secret to a happy marriage is separate bathrooms, but I plan to have separate houses. Next door to each other. With a joining door in a passage way somewhere. I just have to break the news to husband.

Anonymous said...

Ϲan yοu tell uѕ more about thiѕ? I'd like to find out some additional information. erikvilela.ca

Susan said...

Wow! Love this post about separate bedrooms. My hubby and I live the life of musical bedrooms too for all the reasons you listed. He even said recently that he used to think it strange that his grandparents had separate beds(in the same room) but now he understands. As one ages, a good nights sleep is so important. I love that you have put a voice to this problem with your post. Your decorating of both rooms is beautiful.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...