Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Accessories Make the Room

Continuing with Connie's bedroom by the Florida coast.....
This is her bedroom, if you're just dropping in.....
Traditional Home 2007
The wall alongside her bed looked really bare before we found that little plant stand at a local antique show.
We dragged it back to Connie's and I loved it, it was all beat up.....
but she wanted a cleaner look, so she had it repainted.
Then I started hanging pictures on the walls.....
a pair over the plant stand.....
and three over the bed.....
But it still looked too bare to me!!!!!
the room needed plates!!!!!
on the walls!!!!!
Sooooo.....
onward to ebay!!!!!
I found these four Catalina Pottery floral plates that were just perfect for the room.
They were flowers, but not Victorian sweet, 
(if you knows what I means.....)
Sooooo.....
I crawled up on Connie's bed
(I took my shoes off first.............)
(it's very important to take your shoes off...........)
(however, keep the rest of your clothes on, if you're working for a client.....)
(Betsy's decorating tip #782, don't decorate in the nude, if you're working for a paying client.......)
(unless you're being paid for something else...................................)
Oy, where was I?????????
oh yeah!!!!! plates!!!!!
So I hung the plates over the bed.....
Bracketing the pretty framed floral prints I had found.....

Here are the prints over the plant stand.....
And here they are.....with the plates!!!!!
I really loved this little piece of furniture, it was just what the wall needed.
Connie had seen my collection of china parrots at my Florida home, 
and demanded requested that I find some for her bedroom too.....
So, as you can see.....I scattered them around her boudoir.
(if you look closely, you'll see one in among the plants.....)
I placed another one on her chest of drawers....
in front of the vase with real fake flowers!!!!!
I have nooooo shame.
I LOVE FAKE FLOWERS!!!!!
To the right of the wicker sofa across from her bed stands an iron floor lamp that I found, fell in love with, and hauled back to Connie.
She loved it too, which was great, because sometimes I find what I consider to be 
absolute gems.....
and the recipient acts like I am trying to shove junk at them......
WHAT'S WRONG WITH JUNK?????
I LOVE JUNK!!!!!!!
 This lamp has just the right touch of garden whimsy to work with the floral them of this room.
I love the scroll work of the iron.....
It's purdy!!!!
I had a custom lamp shade made, which is the trick to bringing junk up to a classier life.....
Deck it out with haute couture!!!!!
Make inexpensive stuff cost more money!!!!!
I am a genius!!!!!
Yes I is!!!!
On that note.....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

11 comments:

Mary said...

You are a genius, and a funny genius too!

Love Connie's room!

Vikki said...

I love the plant stand. How perfect for the bedroom, replete with reading material for those nights you have trouble going to sleep. Yes you are a genius, a humble genius too! Vikki in VA

Jayne said...

That plant sand is the best and your post is hilarious!

Nutbird said...

What I would like to know is: When you are searching eBay for plates, what exactly do you search for? Cabinet plates? I love, love Chris's art deco plates in her hall. You may not answer this because you might get competition in bidding. Have you ever used those touristy plates of the states? I started buying them for Western states in the hopes that I would hang them up for grandchildren. No grandchildren. Thanks Ann

Rita's Recipes said...

I have a large white parrot that I am now going to get our of the closet and put somewhere......but where?

Divine Theatre said...

It was nice of you to give your friend the bird. Not everyone agrees, I'm sure.
Thanks for the not doing stuff naked advice, too.
That room needed those plates. Perfect find! How do you do that?
I am also becoming a genius at making inexpensive stuff cost a lot more money. Case in point, the secretary whose hardware, paint and posters (for decoupage) cost more than the secretary. :) Yay me!

xo

Andie

Lee said...

Well, you are influencing me...so when my husband complains, I will blame you!
Today I even hung a small plate over a doll table in my DR. And I am looking for more stuff to put on the walls. I do get carried away but this is fun! Thanks for the inspiration and giggles!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I love fake flowers, too....and I am not ashamed. I have beautiful, expensive arrangements that were done for the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach and they are in huge, heavy containers. I love gardening and have plenty to take care of outside...year round in Florida...so I need low maintenance when I come inside. They only needs a shower once a year :-) and they're good as new. The plates are certainly what takes these walls from good to great. Suzi

Joy @ Comfort and Joy said...

"Beauty is in the details" at which you are masterful! Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Those plates made the day. What a touch!

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of green, but after seeing this room, I am in love with it. Dody

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...