Friday, April 5, 2013

Needlepoint Toss Pillows and What Makes a Husband Happy

Toss pillows are an important element of any room I design.
My brother thinks that they should all be thrown on the floor....
but that's not the reason they are called toss pillows.....
Not only do they add an important layer of visual interest to a space,
but they is comfy!!!!!
In Connie's bedroom I used them to add padding for the back of the wicker sofa at the foot of her bed.
Then we lucked out and found some more at Home Goods!!!!
The white linen ones with little rosebuds I had made, 
using a little green tape sewn into the seam to create a flange.
Connie requested a pillow for her sofa that had the saying.....
"A Happy Wife is a Happy Life"
Her husband agrees, and I'm thinking of making one for him that would match the tones of his room.
It's easier than you think.....
(to make a toss pillow....not to make a husband happy....)
to make a custom needlepoint toss pillows with words.
This is how I does it!!!!!
I choose a font I like on my computer and type the saying out in Microsoft word.
Then I adjust the size of the font to a size that works for my canvas
by using the program paint,
 which is a program that came on my computer.
The Graphics Fairy has a tutorial on how to do this,
so go bother her,
because I am too lazy to show you.

I used to have a printer that could enlarge images.....
but it died....
so sad.....
Now I struggle along with my computer.
Anyway.
Where was I?????
After you print out the saying you want to needlepoint in the style you like....
get a plain piece of needlepoint canvas.
I like the ones with a larger mesh, 
this way the project goes faster, because the stitches are 
bigger!!!!!
I tape the printed out saying onto a flat surface and lay the mesh over it, also taping that in place.
Then I take out my colored markers that are made for just this very type of thingy!!!!!
I paint over the words in a color that's as close to the yarn color I plan on using.
Then I tape the edges of my canvas with a good sturdy tape, so that they don't unravel.
Then I listen to a book on tape while I needlepoint.
This is my secret!!!!!
books on tape!!!!!
The needlepoint gets done in what feels like no time at all!!!!!
It really helps if you don't have a life,
that way
 you don't feel like you're missing anything!!!!!
So, 
that is how I made Connie's pillow for her.
Sooooo.....
She now has a cozy seating area in her room that she sometimes allows her husband to sit on!!!!!
That's it for today,
I need to go take a walk with my Mom and Dad.
It's actually sunny.
And a little warmer.
The snow is almost all gone!!!!!
I HATE WINTER.
I LOVE SPRING.
I ADORE SUMMER!!!!!
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

10 comments:

Decdreams said...

Your output of needlepoint pillows has always stunned me but THEN you change patterns, mind blowing, I had you figured for some kind of genius using esoteric mathematical permutations!! Now I am so relieved after you shared how you do it so I have downgraded you from genius to just incredibly briliant!!!!!

You buddie's room is charming but maybe a little too perfect.............can't hold a candle to your rooms. Wish she would give you absolute FREE reign to do your Betsy thing. You have mastered "classy cozy".........love your rooms!!!! They never fail to jazz me!!!!

Decdreams said...

I HATE THAT I MISPELLED BRILLIANT!!! HOW HUMBLING!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your tips. This is very helpful & I thought you bought that pillow!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I love this idea! Thank you, I will definately try to do one. I did a post on pillows today too ~ even included a needlepoint one...what do they say about great minds. LOL

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

thanks for the tip on creating the wording. Your effot to inform your readers is really appreciated!

Pondside said...

There's an idea I'll be using soon. Thank you for sharing it.

Divine Theatre said...

I did a needlepoint dog...head. I got tired and figured the head was recognizable and stopped. Then I gave it to my Father-in Law.
Bigger stitches sound like the key to happiness...and whole dogs.

xo

At The Picket Fence said...

I am sooooo going to be trying this Betsy! I love those pillows! :-)
Vanessa

Jaybird said...

I made a pillow for my poor long suffering spouse, that says..."A man's home is his castle....until the queen arrives" ;^)
Your way was much easier than what I did though! Thank you so much for the info...now I think I will make him something else LOL
Blessings,
J

Amelie said...

This is cool!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...