Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Cottage Style Makeover

Before we go any further with my niece Miriam's living room, assuming there is any further to go.......
Let's recap with progress pictures of the journey so far.
At this point it looks like this!!!!!
We still have accessories and the footstools to do, but it's coming along.....

I started with the room like this.....
Side by side comparison!!!
Another one!!!
Here's a progression!!!!
first we added the board details to create the cottage paneling look.

Here's the view down towards where the sectional would sit.
They had placed their TV there, which was WRONG!!!
So, I moved it for them, because I am always right!!!
Paneling added.....
Room painted with some of the new furniture.....
Draperies installed, made by moi!!!
Found a rug!! Laid it down!!!
The dog was no help at all.....
FINALLY got the right slipcovers.
I am going to recover the ottoman in a different fabric, too much white for me.
Now....
in the other direction....
this was the sad before.
We added some woodwork....
Added some paint....
Found some Craig's List chairs....
And I made the slipcovers!!!!! As well as the draperies!!!!!
Here's the before of the bookcase by the door to the screened in porch.
Miriam and Ross needed a place for their outside dog walking stuff, for walking the dog outside!
So I removed some shelves and added some hooks.
Miriam needed a piece of furniture to store more stuff.....
So I found this and painted it for her.
What a contrast!
Ross needed a space for his big manly TV, so I designed it for him, because I will need these two to take care of me when I'm old and decrepit.....
right???Ross and Miriam????
Hello!!!! Are you listening????
This is the before.
Here's a construction progress shot.
Testing that the TV fit....
Nobody trusts me, jeesh.
Waiting for the draperies and rug.
Waiting for the chair slipcovers...
Waiting for a good TV show....
We still have a lot more to do, but it's looking pretty and the kids are thrilled.
I am in the process of doing the little table I'm giving them for the left side of the sectional.
I thought it would be an easy redo.
I am always wrong about this stuff.....

On that note,
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

17 comments:

Divine Theatre said...

Well, you MADE it look easy. That's the problem with you talented people. You make us little people think we can do the same things you do...sixth months later and the secretary is still in the dead zone. I blame YOU.
In the meantime, you took my post way harder than I did. Seriously, woman...lighten up.

xo

Anonymous said...

It's looking fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I am brand new to your blog. Love all the rooms, gardens and your great sense of humor...always too long a wait for a good TV show . sally- Arlington, VA

Mary said...

I love it all! Such a gorgeous room and they are super lucky to have you! A decorator, comedian and aunt rolled into one. I can't think of anything better!

Mary
from Virginia
http://marysflowerworks.blogspot.com

bmayer said...

Aunt Betsy, when are you going to come and visit (and decorate for) me??? I promise I will take care of you when you are old and decrepit, except we are probably about the same age......

Mir said...

Yes, we're listening. Does that mean our tab is reset?

Thanks, Aunt B :-)

Kathy@ Gone North said...

You, my Girl, are a HOOT!!! & a very talented designer!! & Holy, Moly is that a fabulous transformation !
Nicely, nicely, nicely done!!!

Patty Antle said...

Love the before and after photos. You did a magnificent job. The colors are so soft and cottagy - so you did get it right!

Donnamae said...

You have done a remarkable job so far Betsy! Love all the changes...anxious to see the extra little details! ;)

Eppie Doodle said...

Betsy, the room is gorgeous! All of you did a great job. My favorite is the chair slipcovers. I love the buttons on the back!
I always look forward to seeing what you are doing! Thank you for sharing with us.
Take care.
Emily

Eppie Doodle said...

Betsy, the room is gorgeous! All of you did a great job. My favorite is the chair slipcovers. I love the buttons on the back!
I always look forward to seeing what you are doing! Thank you for sharing with us.
Take care.
Emily

Di said...

It's wonderful and I'm sure they are thrilled. Thanks for always sharing and making it fun for us.

Melanie said...

It is a lovley room! Love what you have done here! Thank you for sharing this with us, it is a rooom filled with gorgeous inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I wish you were my aunt!! Promise I'll take care of you, only problems being, that we are pretty close in age I believe, and I live in North Carolina. I promise you'll like it here.

Anonymous said...

You are wonderful! The room is beautiful and so creative. You give me inspiration to get up and do....As the saying goes.......to do is to be. A good day is reading your blog, learning, and smiling. Thanks, Bobbie Spokane, WA

fixitfaerie said...

OMG! I looked at the before and after pictures again today, and it looks like a totally different house. It is gorgeous. I love the rug, even thought about putting one in my bedroom. We'll see. So you have another niece trying to butter you up. lol Did Marian or Ross do any of the work? Or do they just not know how to do painting/decorating? Just wondering. Paula

Stacey said...

I am loving this transformation! They are so lucky to have you to help with this gorgeous room.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...