Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Florida Cottage Study

Off Connie's living room is her little den/TV room.
She doesn't want me to tell you this......
but......
the sofa is a sofa bed.....
NO YOU CAN'T STAY OVER!!!!!
She likes company almost as much as I do.
Welllll....
that's not quite fair.
She has guests all the time.
I don't .
She just likes to make me feel sorry for her.
(It's working.....)
She also has a guest room, it gets a lot more use than mine,
I will be sharing pictures of it soon.....
but.....
here's a shot of the den....
Obviously not shot by a pro.
Look at the refection in the pelican print.....
you can make out my luscious body!!!!
I covered the walls in a Brunschwig & Fils wallpaper that looks like wood grain.
It looks great.
Why have real, when you can pay for fake?????
Just look at The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills!!!!!
Sooooo.....
Here's the sleep sofa that no one sleeps on,
 that Connie made me promise I wouldn't point out was a sleep sofa.
Sooooo....
(don't trust me to keep a secret....)
along the same premise as the question
"If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, is there a noise???"
This begs the question......
"If a sleep sofa never gets slept on.....is it a sleep sofa????"
What a surprise!!!!!
We continued the nautical/bird theme into this room!!!!!
We used shell prints and birds and fish and stuff!!!!
(and turtles....)
I designed the built in that holds the TV and also has a little desk area.
I think the desk area is cute....
Connie isn't so sure.
(I tried to edit out the black lamp cord in Pic Monkey,
but the program is refusing to work in Google Chrome.
It thinks I don't have the latest version of Flash Player...
Well I do!!!! OY)
Since there is limited surface area, we (I) hung the little basket for extra paper work storage.
Across from the sofa is this comfy split reed chair.
We really lucked out in finding the pelican print that hangs behind it.
I'm not crazy about the floor lamp, but it's a left over from
The Previous Designer (TPD).
Connie refuses to get a new floor lamp, so I have graciously told her that it's not so bad.

I lie!!!!!

TPD  had also sold Connie this chair,
(She was just copying me,
 I had placed two of these in Connie's Vermont home)
anyway....
She had specified this chair in red.
Soooooo....
As I have previously stated in past posts....
I had disparate styles left over from TPD repainted in a unifying white.
Soooooo
this baby got a coat of white paint slapped on her body.....
On either side of the door leading into the living room are really fun prints of turtles.
Ones goin' to the right.....
And one be goin' to the left.....
Flanking the mirror are a collection of shell prints.

We continued this feel through ebay and local stores, accessorizing
the bookcase.
 Over the desk are a pair of shell vases from ebay that broke into multiple pieces while in transit......

Since I am a klutz  I have gotten good at repairing things I break,
 so I glued them back together for Connie, 
and I was her hero!!!!
See all the cracks????
I should touch up the paint job and then they would look perfect!!!!
Next year, I'll do that.
I have to go back up to Massachusetts.
I was supposed to go tomorrow, Thursday....
but...
we're supposed to be getting another snow storm, so I have changed my flight to Saturday.
Darn.....
Now I have to stay two extra days down here in the warm sunny weather.....

On either side of the sofa are two primitive looking wooden lamps that we scored at a local furniture store.
I think they have the perfect feel for this room.
Notice how I didn't bother to straighten the lampshade for this shot????
I am a professional blogger and am very accomplished and quite a perfectionist!!!!!
OK campers.....
I have absolutely nothing else to say about this room.....
unless I think of something....
Later, Gator
Photobucket

8 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Very pretty! I've never seen wallpaper like that.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I love faux bois (sp?) wallpaper! I am thinking of using it in my master bath down in Fleridida. The storm just blew through here in the DC area. Much ado about nothing, though they closed down the government, yay! A day off! Stay warm! Best, Beth C.

Anonymous said...

So sorry your family is having health issues. Hope all get well soon.

cindy hattesley design said...

Betsey

I love the faux bois wallpaper and would love to use it for a client soon. Where did you find the turtle prints? I am fixing up a condo for my dad "on the cheap" I think he would love those! Your posts always make me smile!

Nutbird said...

Any chance you remember the name of the Brunschweig wallpaper? It's not in their current line. If I knew what it was, I could search for it on ebay or somewhere. Love it! Ann

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I think the desk area is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Bunch the cord of the lamp up (as if you were wrapping it up when not in use), tack it to the underside of the desk way at the back and you'll hardly see it for real :-) Just a thought..

If it's still too noticeable, staple it along the underside of the desk at the back wall and it should outta be nearly out of sight :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'm so glad you posted today. I've been under the weather, and I needed a decorating pick-me-up. Loved seeing this cute den.

My favorite things are the faux bois wallpaper (puts me in mind of the white-washed walls you see in Key West homes), the adorable turtle prints (so CUTE!), and that wood lamp (LOVE). Love the bookcases you designed, too.

Have a safe trip home. We are up here freezing on this end of the state. I did not want to get out from under my wool blanket, but I forced myself to get up for a little while in the hopes of feelling better. Now I can go back to bed and dream of my own study and what I want to do to it. Thanks for the inspiration, Betsy. Safe travels up Nawth. Hope all is well with your loved ones, too.

XO,

Sheila

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...