Friday, March 8, 2013

Another Rant From Betsy

LOOK UP!!!!!
It's a bird!!!!
it's a plane!!!!!
Wait.....
I'm in my house.....
It's a smoke detector....
no, no. wait....
Is it a carbon monoxide detector?????
I DON'T KNOW!!!!
It's beeping!!!!!
HOW DO YOU GET THE COVER OFF?????
I CAN'T GET THE COVER OFF TO CHANGE THE BATTERY!!!!!
WHO DESIGNS THESE THINGS???
you're hanging sideways on a ladder,
 trying not to fall on your @$$,
with your arms straining over your head,
fiddling with a little tab....
do you push it in????
do you pull it out????
are you going to break it, and then it will beep for
 EVER AND EVER???
and while I'm venting....
why do these things give the warning  beep that the battery is low,
 in the middle of the @#$ night.
sooooo.. it wakes you up with adrenaline coursing through your veins....
AND NOW YOU'LL NEVER GET BACK TO SLEEP
 'CUZ IT SCARED THE #$% OUT OF YOU.
So you have to get up.....
in the middle of the night.....
make yourself a cup of decaf tea.....
and play a jigsaw game on the computer for an hour before you can go back to sleep.....
Thank goodness you're retired, so you can sleep late the next morning.....
Thank Goodness it's just the warning shot over the prow....
It's just beeping once every 12 or so hours.
It did it again last night, while I was watching TV....
Soooooo.....
Since I seem incapable of figuring out how to open the #$% sensor,
I have to wait for my handy man to come today and change the battery for me.
Because.....
I have been known to get a little frustrated and just yank the cover down.....
breaking the crummy safety device in my annoyance....
And then I would have to replace the whole damn thing.
Where upon it would happen all over again....
and again....
and again.
Sooooo.....
I need a tutorial on how to open a carbon monoxide sensor.
I will get it later today.
My life is very exciting.
Aren't you jealous?????

This is not my real post.
I just had to share first thing in the morning.....
I will do a decorating one later today.
if I feel like it.
I probably will.
Then again......

Later, Gator
Photobucket

14 comments:

janet bishop magina said...

Happened to me last week, but since I live in a 55+ community I had the FD come and replace the battery and then I decided to replace it with the plug in variety. Don't even get me going about the hard wired smokes that all go off at once.



Dawna (Stitches from the Tub) said...

Yes, why does it always go off in the middle of the night. Do they program them that way on purpose??

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Oh yes, one of life's irritating mysteries!

sweet violets said...

I've had that same wonderful experience......mine got yanked out of the ceiling and are dangling by wires......there are enough other ones still working, so am not worried. They'll get repaired or replaced whenever I decide to sell and move out!!! Men design these things.....

Divine Theatre said...

We can't even take a shower in the Guest Bathroom because the steam sets off the smoke detector outside the door! Gah!

Good luck!

xo

Andie

Unknown said...

Ohhh hahaha! I know how ya feel! Id just yank it down and have the people reinstall it for free. I heard you could do that! :)

Hugs,

Nutbird said...

Those carbon monoxide detectors are relentless. After you figure out where the beep is coming from, you take it out of the wall. Throw it in a drawer. Still beeps. Take out the battery. Several days later, starts beeping again. Who knew?

Ann said...

Since I'm retired for only a few years, the part I like best is "Thank goodness you're retired, so you can sleep late the next morning....." Amen!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

They do always go off in the middle of the night, don't they?! In our previous house, the detectors were wired together somehow, so when one had a battery get low, they all went off! Trying to figure out which one had the low battery while the ear splitting noise was- well, splitting the ears- was a nightmare! Appropriate, since it was the middle of the night, I suppose.

Debra@CommonGround said...

same here, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, incessant beeping that echoed off the walls. after 6 hours I finally found it hidden behind a chair. who the heck even put it there...behind a chair...in the basement?

Charlotte Des Fleurs said...

Hi Betsy, I understand your pain. We were staying at my brother-in-law's house for a few days. He was out of town. In the middle of the night, one of his smoke detectors started to beep. He has 12 foot ceilings. AND, not being Mr. Fix-it, NO ladder out in his pristine, epoxy-coated garage!

We had to pull over a table and put a chair onto the table in order to just barely reach the cussed thing. Like everyone else, couldn't get the thing to stop beeping so I removed it, and put it out in the garage under a pillow. The next day I found a store (we are not from the area), replaced the battery and re-installed the thing.

Never told the brother-in-law. We figured the next time one of the other ones went off in the middle of the night, he would realize that even when you have "people" to take care of such things, you need to own a ladder and a few tools.

Yes, I know, passive-aggressive!

The White Pear Tree said...

Lol, yes of course they're programmed to go off at night! Always!

That reminds me of an episode of friends with Phoebe. She destroys the darn thing with a hammer and it still beeps, like it's possessed!

drue said...

I traveled to get my daughter at her fathers many years ago and had to spend that first night with them. They were in a six unit or so apartment complex where all the alarms were connected together. Months before the alarms had started beeping every five minutes or so and no one had bothered to have them fixed because it was such a hassle with them all be connected and all. So for all this time all the people had been listening to this and had learned to tune it out. I was going insane, didn't sleep a wink and couldn't believe that these people lived like this. Guess that explains why he was my ex, eh!!

A Toile Tale said...

I think this is so sublime that it is going off on the cusp of Daylight Savings Time when you are supposed to (voluntarily) change all of your smoke detector batteries. Who does that?????????
Linda @ A Toile Tale

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...