Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vintage Barkcloth Orgy

I have a weakness for vintage barkcloth.
I have a weakness for vintage barkcloth.
I have a weakness 
for
 vintage barkcloth!!!!!
I wish they (whoever THEY are) would still make it.
It tends to be pricey, buying it by the bits and pieces, the way most folks sell it on ebay.
I am VERY PARTIAL to florals.
(You may not have noticed.)
(If you've been sleeping)
On Sunday, I started off showing everyone my little study that sits across the hall from my master bedroom.....
I left off at the point where I was talking about covering the seat cushions on my pair of painted bergere chairs.
I wanted them to be in this wonderful floral with a blue background.
BUT I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH FABRIC FOR TWO CUSHIONS!!!!
OH NO!?!?!
WHAT TO DO?!?!?
So I covered one side in another fabric, so now I can have two different looks!
(If I want to, which I don't...)
I had enough of the blue to use for the side boxing, so that was a 
good
thing!!!!!

 

The blue is the way I want to go, 
yep!
So now, the problem was.....
The first trim I used for the skirt, was not the best match with the blue background.
It was a little too much to the red side of the color wheel.
If you don't know what I'm talking about.....
BUY MY BOOK!!!!!
So, I used the other trim for the second chair, and can't decide if I like the quirkyness of having two different trims, or if I should change the first skirt to the trim of the second skirt.....
It's funkier with the tassels.
I took off the pom poms where the tape pleated under, so that it could lie as flat as possible.

Knowing me.....
I WILL LIVE WITH IT THIS WAY FOR 
20 MORE YEARS!!!!
Because, after a while, (if I wait long enough) I don't see it anymore.
I've been know to have a pile of horse blankets
(yes, from my horse)
lie in a corner of my living room for months on end.
And when I say months.....
I may actually mean a year........
oops......

I know this is a short post, but I have a headache, 
or as the little girl who used to live across the street from me in Watertown used to say
 a "head egg".

So on Thursday, I will show you guys how I took this room from a blue and white scheme to one full of different colors and flowers.

Till then,
Latah Gatah
Photobucket

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

Not that I have a vote but I do like the poms.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Love the bark cloth. I've never had any. Take care of the head egg.
Brenda

Mari said...

Hi ~
I'm new to your blog, and I must say, I love your style, your home, and your sense of humor, in total I love your blog.....
Im sooooo happy I found you .....

Smiles~
Mari

Cindy said...

Oh i do, i do, i do, love the chair skirt with the pom poms... it's wonderful, never change that! And... what the heck is it about barkcloth that is so good, i like it too, and i think every one in the world likes it... and why is it called barkcloth? Nice fat cushions on the chair too... !

Cindy

Unknown said...

I love bark cloth too ! But I never can find it . I remember the house we lived in when I was a little girl , the front room had 3 big windows with wonderful tropical bark cloth drapes , sure wish I had those !

Babs said...

I'm impressed that you make covers for your chairs and equally impressed at the way you perfectly match the patterns on the cushions. Gorgeous!
Babs

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Beautiful fabric but I think your seat cushion needs to go on a bit of a diet.

(ducking and running)

Patricia said...

I bought your book! One word: FABULOUS!!!

laney said...

...oh i like quirky...especially betsy quirky...why oh why...be like everyone else and their aunt sally...when you can be you...blessings laney

Anonymous said...

The pom poms are fabulous!

Jaybird said...

I hope your "head egg" went away!!! Otherwise we might think you are scrambled ;^)
I like the two trims...just a little extra fun there....
My rant for the day....all of the blue fabrics available today seem to go "green" :^(
I want a true sky blue and I can't tell you how many samples I have hauled home, only to find them too green.
Okay..I'm done,
as you were.....
J

Anonymous said...

Betsy, I am also a lover of barkcloth, so much so that I found a source online. I've purchased several different fabrics from them, and they are great quality. I'm looking at my barkcloth curtains as I type this. Love that stuff. Here they are: http://www.barkclothhawaii.com/

Anonymous said...

Betsy, I just realized -duh - that this site I mentioned above only has tropical flowers, not roses. Since I'm into tropical, I love their hibisus prints. But...they don't have vintage cabbage roses. I've seen some on Etsy, though.

awal.ny said...

I love your bark cloth cushions, especially that they have two different patterns. I love bark cloth too, I hate to admit it, but I have several varieties of drapes in my basement. They don't fit my windows but I don't want to cut them up for pillows, but I love the floral patterns. Maybe you will inspire me to cut, someday!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...