Friday, July 20, 2012

Repainting a mistake!!!!

One terrific fact about painting furniture
 (if you don't know what you're doing....)
is that you can cover over your boo boos with more paint.....
On Tuesday, I showed you the newest table I had painted
Every one who commented was very kind, 
although delusional.....
they claimed they liked the way it looked....
So now I know that my readers have 
no sense of style!!!!!
(I'm not sure, 
but maybe this isn't the best way 
to get followers.....)
(Nothing like a good insult to make folks want to read what I've got to share.....)
So, let me change that...

No, No!!!!
I didn't mean that!!!!!
You all are sooooooo full of style!!!!!
You're really full of it!!!!!!

This is how I had painted the table.....
I wasn't crazy about the body, although I liked the top.
It wasn't right for an empire piece.
The point of this type of shape,
 is that there shouldn't be painting or wood detailing 
to distract the eye from the form of the table.

I got a little (ya think???) carried away with my wood graining tool.....
I never seem to be able to hold back 
when I am in the throws of a new passion.....
Hence my ridiculous amount of different collections
 of totally useless stuff!!!!!

SOOOOOO.....,
I dragged my @$$ back down to my basement workshop.....
and repainted all that offended my eye.

Now I likes what I sees!!!!!

               before                                   after
                                         

Now I know this is subtle, but that's my middle name.....
(OK, that's a big fat lie, my middle name is Obvious, as in 
Betsy Obvious Speert.....)

For your enjoyment!!!!!
Here's a close up of the foots!!!!
 the distressing is more natural, less fake looking than what I had done earlier......
 So to recap this very exciting reinvention.....,
It went from this.....
To the wood graining of the top.....,
To looking rather fetching next to a chair in a white slipcover.....
This table will now be for sale in the Boston Design Center at Studio 534...

And while we're talking about my showroom!!!!!
Look what my bidness partner, Kris, and I got at auction yesterday!!!!
This is the reason that I didn't post yesterday's blog.
I was very tired after spending the whole day waiting to bid on a couple of things.

I got two things for ME ME ME ME ME ME ME !!!!!
And some stuff for the Design Center.
Let's start with my stuff!!!!
(yippee!!!)
This is a 19th Century Architectural Patinated Cut sheet Copper Roof Finial, that is 51" high.....
I'm going to have a post made that it can sit on in my flower bed, right now I have it resting on an old wire table, that isn't too sturdy.

I've been trying to figure out something fun to break up the long red wall on my terrace....
I've never seen anything like it.....
It must have been on the peak of a cupola.....
I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of what's going to end up on my outside wall.....
(It looks sort of lonely.....)

I also won the bid on another outdoor decoration that I am going to hang on the fence behind my grill.....
I love old weather vanes....
(Although, maybe I'll hang it over the bird finial...???)
It needs to go to the metal doctor first and have some soldering done....
I found a good metal shop before I bid on it as well as the chairs we won.

Now, the next stuff Kris and I are selling; so we were very careful about not bidding too much, as we have to mark it up.....

These are a set of Four French Iron and Wood Slat Folding Chairs.
We think the wood is Chestnut.
We think they are wonderful.
We think we are da bomb for scouring these!!!!!

We also snagged the cow weather vane!!!!!
Someone used it for target practice!!!!!
We are two sick puppies, 'cuz Kris and I love the bullet holes....
Everything is going to get a nice coat of wax to clean them up and give 'um some sparkle!!
Then we'll move them from my basement special storage area, and take them to Studio 534!!
So, after we won all this wonderful swag, we paid and went to get the car...
That's when I realized that I had forgotten the packing blankets.....
I am an idiot, I am an idiot, I am an idiot.....
I am getting tired of typing that statement.............
OY!!OY!!OY!!OY!!

Latah Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative BlogFunky Junk Interiorssunday_button_featIt's Overflowing

16 comments:

Sonny G said...

I always say " it takes a nano second to go from distressed to distroyed " so I often look at painted , distressed pieces but I rarely comment, other than to say- if thats the look you were going for- you GOT it.

My Dad read Dale Carnegie to me as bedtime stories lol..

Sonny G said...

ops that would be " destroyed".. :-)

Michelle said...

If I lived on the east coast, I'd have to start a lot of new (expensive)collections!!! I don't see any of this stuff in California. I love the cow weathervane and your awesome roof finial.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the table redo and that cow weathervane is fabulous. I couldn't part with that piece for sure. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Nice table! And, nice chairs. They are too cool! I didn't realize you lived in the Boston area. My husband and I were there two weeks ago, for a couple of days, sightseeing, during your 105 degree heatwave. It just about did us in!!! We're from Canada, the Maritime Provinces. Our heat waves would be your regular temps, lol!

JoAnn said...

Love everything you do...!!!! Love you too, oops nope not love you...ok like you....lol...when I feel down I just go look up "Betsy" and have a good belly laugh and all is well with my world again....by the way I am going to buy your books...

Cindy said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I missed the post about the table how you originally painted it... but i totally see what you mean now that you show them side by side. Cool! Those french chairs are insanely wonderful and so is the cow and so is the weather vane. I really like the shade of red on on your terrace too. It's the perfect red, and the white roof finial really pops against it!

Cindy

Revi said...

Less is more in distressing, unless more is more. It all depends a lot on everything - as quoted by a dear friend. Anyway, I like this particular table with less distress. LOVE your finds, too.
-Revi

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

OK...truth be told...I too thought your "first attempt" at the table was a little overdone on the wood graining. But then, what the heck do I know..LOL!

I had to laugh when I saw the cow weathervane. Around here (Upper Midwest) people would just throw that stuff out cuz it would be so battered with the holes, they'd go get a new one. Ah yes, one man's trash is another man's treasure!

Patricia said...

Hi Betsy!
I've been a follower from your very first post. I was a fan from before having admired your work every time you were featured in different magazines. I love your style because it validates MY style! :) I love stuff, I love collecting and I love the way you do it.
Would you consider selling those chairs before they reach your studio? I'm in love!

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Betsy, Your blog is a hoot! Your table turned out great. Wow, you got some awesome stuff at auction. I especially love your finial. The chairs are incredible too. Keep posting! Anne Boykin

Anonymous said...

I love the cow with the bullet holes!

Anonymous said...

Wow! LOVE the weathervane, cupola toppers...chairs, all of it! Am trying to wait patiently to see your outdoor space. Tain't easy...

Michele said...

The table does look better now. I love its base. Great scores on the iron deal, chairs and cow. Well, the cow not so much, but the chairs are to die for.

Bonnie Schulte said...

HA HA HA HA HA..Just me...you are trying to fool us right..It still looks good...

The White Pear Tree said...

Oh those chairs! Awesome! I want the cow too. She's got mega character.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...