Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Cottage Den

Today's blog will be short because I have been working on writing the answers for this coming Tuesday. In the future I may break it down into more than one day of answers, becaauussee I feel like I am writing a book.

Soooo.....
Today I will just share some photos of my Watertown cottage's den. I have shown you some of these before, but being slightly compulsive, I wanted to reveal the whole house in a continuing series of blogs.

Sooooooooooooooooo..........................
Here I am really younger. This was taken in 1912!!






































At least I've lost weight since then.........

 I had a collection of 21 oil paintings of cows on the walls.
The sofa was covered in a leopard print from Boussac of France fabrics. It was great because I had a black cat and a brown dog, and nobody realized that the animals shed until my guests got up off the sofa and realized that they were covered in fur.

It really helped with the housekeeping: if it can't be seen; it's not there!!!!
 





































Photo by Eric Roth Studios.

This is a view looking in from the hall. I spent a long time figuring out this weird mix of fabrics. I didn't want anything to "match". I was deep into my English Country look.
I never grew tired of these fabrics, I just have no place to put them now.
I've moved on, and so has this stuff.

Butttttttttttt, before we totally forget about my stuff......
Here's another picture!!!!!































I have a whole collection of these paisley shawls. I just love them. They have gotten really expensive, (actually, I don't know that! What the hell am I talking about??? I haven't bought one in years!!)
Anyway, I figure that they must have gotten really expensive, 'cuz I bought them all, so now they must be really rare!

Remember when Pier One sold these split bamboo blinds for just a few dollars? I still think they're a classic.
I bought them when I was just out of college, and cut them down with garden shears to fit the windows. Then we simply hung them on the little cuppy hook L-brackets that came packaged with them. Why aren't things this easy anymore? No power drill needed.

I stuffed my bulldog collection on this table top. Every time it was dusted, I had to get them back into the proper arrangement.

(That's a picture of
my Dad)

(He's still kickin' it
 at 96!!!!)

OY OY OY!!!!

I know I tell you this every weekend, but really guys.....
go outside and get some fresh air, that's what I'm about to do.
See you on Tuesday with some bangin' answers to your wonderful questions!
Betsy

14 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love the way that room looked. I especially wish I had some of those cow paintings. Wow.

val's alentejo blog said...

You made a lovely home at your cottage.. do you have photos of your new condo..!!
You trully do have flair.
As i am new to your blog.. i will catch on more as i visit..
best wishes
val

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

I still love some elements of the English country look.

Amy Chalmers said...

I like those bamboo stick blinds too. They look great under any kind of panels...Nita works part time at Pier One~we will have to ask her if they still sell them!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Glad to have found you. Am liking you so you can be like one of the popular cheerleaders in high school! Here's to seeing more great things - run on sentences and all!
Kelly

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Hi Betsy! i just discovered your great blog via Motivated Monday. LOVE IT!! I have spent the past hour reading your previous posts. I am happily your newest follower; and I hope you will follow me, too! Many blessings to you!

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Betsy, I'm fairly new to your blog and I'm enjoying it quite alot. Will we get to see your current home? I do love your English country rooms in your old house but I'm curious to see where your evolution has brought you. Anne

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

In the past, I just loved reading the many magazines and books that featured you. Now I can "see you more often" How great is that!..

Me, being a "Florida Girl" recently transplanted to N.C., just love the picture of the front facade of your Palm Beach home..I sooo miss the weather there!

HouseZenGarden Blog said...

Hi Betsy!
I have always admired your design and your former home with all the dog paraphernalia. Today I showed a client a magazine tear sheet (that I have saved for years) from House Beautiful(I think, or Home and Garden, etc.)that shows your former front porch with its trellis portico. I was hoping your blog would have a better picture of it. We have been working on an idea for their Cape Cod design house and your portico was one of the best designs I've seen so far.
Anyway... do you have more photos of the portico that you could share with us? Thank you for all your inspiration through the years!
Love your blog and your spirit too.
Best,
Mary Alice Smith

Babs said...

Betsy, I'm still loving your English
country look den. I'm definitely going to "stay tuned" to find out how you "moved on" from that look.
Right now I'm curled up in that chair with the paisley shawl, and checking out your cow paintings and dog collection. Ummm..is the kettle on?
Babs

Hong Kong Property said...

those are a lot of cow paintings

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

I can't stop laughing at all your post. I think you english country decor was FAB. Love all the oil paintings on the wall.

Jann said...

Beautiful room...I have many cow paintings...collected them when no one else wanted them...LOL and for 1912 babe....uuuuu luuuuk mavelous!...LOL Love the post...your house is fabulous!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Betsy, I would just move into that room and never leave. I love it all from the paisley to the skin on the sofa to the cows. I long for this look to be front and center again, for the days when I bought EVERY magazine on the rack because they all were FABULOUS. Now, I subscribe to "The English Home." I will never get tired of seeing the English look. It resonates with me because it is so warm and layered. I like Chinoserie, too, but so do the English!

You did a super job with this room, and I love the picture of you. You are NOT overweight. You are beautiful and hip. Would that we could all have such great hair, too.

Thanks for sharing.

XO,

Sheila

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...