Saturday, January 14, 2012

An Aeorsmith Kitchen

Since I ended my last blog with a reference to Aerosmith's bass guitar player, Tom Hamilton and his lovely wife Terry, I figured I would do a really smooth and suave segway into a post about the kitchen I designed for them and some other spaces in their home.

Like my previous posts about my old magazine articles.....
I did this job years and years and years ago.



This was another spread in Traditional Home Magazine. Except that one slip with House Beautiful, I pretty much gave them first dibs on all my projects that were ready for publication. Relationships with decorating editors can sometimes be like dating, they don't like it when you cheat. (Even though they're using lots of other designers.)
(I'm starting to remember why I stopped dating.)

I had been working for Steven Tyler's and Joe Perry's families when I met Tom and Terry at the Perrys' baby shower.
I know, I know.......
The crazy partying life of rock stars.
Terry mentioned that they wanted to redo their kitchen, and (not being a modest, shrinking, demure, quiet flower) I let them know that when it came to kitchens.......
I WAS A ROCK STAR!!!!!



I mean, come on.....
Check out that turned leg!!!!!
I used stock Rutt Cabinets, and then had them make the custom cabinet with the leg I designed for the microwave. It's the only time I have ever put a microwave that low, but it worked in this kitchen.

We used green Formica countertops, and that's when I fell in love with the Hamiltons. They wanted the best practical surface for their family, and weren't interested in using the most expensive material available.
Formica's gotten a bad rap.
It's easy to keep clean, and comes in a gazillion colors.
That said; I have marble and wood countertops.
I am a hypocrite, and an impractical decorating fool.
'Matter of fact, don't listen to a word I say.


In the middle of the space was a brick structure that had been used for an old wood burning stove, or some old implement of fire in the house's distant past.
It was structural, so I had to work around it.
Like many an eyesore I've come across in my illustrious decorating journey, I dolled it up and made it the room focal point.
If only I could do that with my fat.
All I can do with my excess poundage, is cover it up.
Maybe, rather than sweatshirts, I should start wearing wallpaper.
O.K., to get back to the brick.....
Luckily, the distance between the two columns was just a little bigger than I needed for the range top, allowing me to recess it back into that space, and by bracketing it with 12" deep base cabinets, the whole kit and caboodle didn't jut too far into a limited amount of floor space.
I just read that sentence over, and it is really awkward, and I can't figure out how to make it better, so I'm leaving it alone.
So there.
I have now regressed to a 7th grader.


Terry and Tom wanted an eat in kitchen, so, since space was at a premium, I worked in the booth area.



Here's a picture of Terry. Isn't she beautiful??
Inside and out!!!

Soooooooooooooooo..................
The years went by, and their family grew, and they needed a larger area in which to eat and have a family room.
Think of all the money people could save, it they didn't have children!!!!
Think of all the china and mercury glass they could buy!!!!!

Sooooooooooooooooo.....................
They added on.
That's what folks do with an expanding family.
(or waistline)

published in Boston Magazine

If I remember correctly (and that's a big if), Terry got this table and chairs from an aunt.

Published in Boston Magazine

We did this room just when Shabby Chic was coming into every one's awareness. It was a store in California whose style was sweeping the nation.
If I remember correctly, (and that's a big if), Terry got the sectional from them and I had the slip cover made locally. I used 726 different fabrics in it.
O.K, maybe that's a slight exaggeration.
I used a lot, though.
If you look closely, you can see McDuff, sleeping on the sofa. I tell ya, that dog has the life.

DON'T FORGET!!!!!
Tuesday's Questions are coming up!! On Tuesday!!
So start thinking up some questions!!
For Tuesday!!
I'm thinking of calling it: ASK AWAY TUESDAY!!!
What do you guys think of that title?
No one's given me any suggestions.
You are absolutely no help at all.
SEE YA TUESDAY!!!
Linking to: 
its so very cheri      showandtellbutton
 shabby creek cottage

PhotobucketSunday's Best Linky Party!








Mod Vintage Life


 


























Stuff and Nonsense

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Tough Love Tuesdays? Or "If this is Tuesday, this must be Betsy?" Okay, I'm probably not helping a lot in the naming parts, but I'm enjoying your blog a lot. And if I get it together, I'll toss my question in the ring one of the near Tuesdays. Thanks! Robin

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Hello Betsy, Glad to meet you..the kitchen is still a classic and just beautiful my friend..Now how about "Ask the Expert Tuesday" I know it's a play on words but you are an expert at decorating..I love your new blog and have been a follower since last week..Many Blessings to you on your new blog journey..You'll be a real hit or sure I say a HUGE hit in blogland..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Wow! It must be fun to work for rock stars! And of course your blog as usual is extremely fun to read. Love it! I also think "Ask Away Tuesday" is a great title.

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

P.S. I forgot to say I love your new photos at the top of your blog!

Amy Chalmers said...

OMG~I remember this kitchen!! I copied this floor in my kitchen at my house I lived in at the time. I think I still have the pages ripped out in my files. Love it~ you created a beautiful friendly space!! What was that fabric for the curtains? Like the new header and the new title for Tuesday. I'll be bringing one....

CeceliaMc said...

That kitchen was certainly ahead of its time in the style of the tile, cabinetry, and the free-standing-furniture look of the counter.

You could put those pictures in any design magazine today and they'd look fresh.

I'm so glad I found this blog! I have bought both your books from Amazon and poured over them.

I'm so sick of mid-century modern! It's wonderful to see rooms that are enchanting ADULT havens. Real HOMES!

Keep cranking out this blog and I'll keep taking notes.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Wow, I'm thinking back about how much I used to love Traditional Homes Magazine and I think I remember that kitchen. It's still pretty to this very day and timeless.

hugs
sissie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love this kitchen It is very warm and homey. I remembered that I already owned your color book and sat and looked at it last night in bed. I still love the images in that book.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I am so enjoying your blog! I love your sense of humor and design style and I'm really looking forward to your Tuesday parties.

How about "Decorating Rx: Ask Away
Tuesdays".

(I work in the medical field. Can you tell?) :@

Sonny G said...

Fabulous kitchen, then and now. Rock Star still applies to YOU

the misfit said...

Wasn't aware we were supposed to be thinking of titles for the feature. "Tuesdays with Betsy"? "The Trouble with Tuesdays" (except the day isn't the problem, it's the decorating challenges)? "Tuesday's Child's a Troubled Space"? "How-to-sday"? (Excessively corny, I know.) "Twenty-Question Tuesday"?

I'll stop.

Love that kitchen. I was ticking off on my fingers elements that every homeowner these days MUST have in his kitchen that I see that you used BEFORE they were de rigeur. I don't know whether I have to wait to ask this question on Tuesday, but I have an overall question on philosophy: how do you identify things that are worth having apart from whatever happens to be trendy; and, how do you discipline yourself not to be captivated by trends? By this last, I mean - for example - I have very strong, possibly eccentric taste. If I'm looking for something that no one sells and no one else has or wants, I know I'm on the right track. But sometimes I see something (industrial pendant lighting, i.e.) that I really like, fits with my aesthetic, and seems like it will age really well - I'll have no temptation to redo it in ten years. But I KNOW it's super-trendy right now. Can I trust that it's REALLY lovely and timeless, or have I just been seduced by Restoration Hardware photos [N.B.: I would actually buy the lights from Ikea] and in ten years I will hate the stuff?

This comment is too long.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Hi Betsy,
So glad you gave my blog a visit, so I could find yours. You're right, I do love your stuff. I think the kitchen definitely rocks. I actually like the previous suggestion of "Tuesdays with Betsy". I'm following. Looking forward to return visits. Especially on Tuesday.
xoxoRosemary

Amy said...

I love your new blog pictures! How about Ask away...oy vey! or
Q&A...oy vey! I think that sounds just like you!

NanaDiana said...

Oh-What a fun post to read. I am new to your blog and will have so much fun following you- I can see you have a sense of humor-(required for a visit from me-I don't do Debbie Downers). I used to work in TV back in the 70's (OMG-How did I ever get THIS old)..so I know how real some of these folks really are behind the public personna. Nice post! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

Oh-What a fun post to read. I am new to your blog and will have so much fun following you- I can see you have a sense of humor-(required for a visit from me-I don't do Debbie Downers). I used to work in TV back in the 70's (OMG-How did I ever get THIS old)..so I know how real some of these folks really are behind the public personna. Nice post! xo Diana

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

All I can say is you "Rock" and that kitchen definitely rocks..Just beautiful!

Tuesdays suggestion: "Tell it to me Tuesdays"

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Good Evening Betsy,

Fun..fun post and so happy to hear that Formica is not so bad. When I restyled my builder grade kitchen to more of a Farmhouse kitchen, I left the formica intact. I got many e-mails asking why I did not replace it..as if I had committed a design no-no. My counters were in perfect condition and serving me very well...I decided to pick my battles and leave the Formica alone.

You just made me feel good about my decision...thank you!

Thanks for visiting my little blog, come back anytime.

janet xox
htp://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful, timeless kitchen! Love your new header. I like the title Ask Away Tuesday, and I also like Ask Betsy.

Sue said...

So thrilled to have found your blog! Love the kitchen, but then I LOVE everything I have see on this blog! Also enjoyed READING what you write! So often I blog hop and ONLY look at pictures. My kitchen needs help and I keep bouncing back and forth as to what to do so perhaps when I take some pics I will have a question for you as well! Not sure of a name for the Tuesday gig......I am thinking I will be enjoying everyday with some time visiting Betsy! Thanks for sharing your talents.

granite rockville said...

Fantastic. What a great post. love to read it.

Kether said...

I am just loving your blog. You are so talented, but most of all you make me laugh and smile every time I read.

sothrnel said...

Love your blog!!! Just found it thru, Savvy Southern Style. I've been missing out until now. =)

2LittleFishies said...

Just found you when googling "yellow kitchen"! I am in love with the kitchen you did with white open shelves with the brocade wallpaper, yellow lower cabs, and white island! I am actually changing my inspiration kitchen after 6 months after seeing that photo : ) I can only find the one angle of it and hoped you might be able to give more details and photos from other angles. It looks so beautiful and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much! I'm going to enjoy reading through your blog!
Valerie

2LittleFishies said...

Hi! Just found you when googling "yellow kitchen"! I am in love with the kitchen you did with white open shelves with the brocade wallpaper, yellow lower cabs, and white island! I am actually changing my inspiration kitchen after 6 months after seeing that photo : ) I can only find the one angle of it and hoped you might be able to give more details and photos from other angles. It looks so beautiful and I'd appreciate any help. I noticed someone else requested that one too. Thanks so much! I'm going to enjoy reading through your blog!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

You're a great story teller, even if you do revert to 7th grade...;) (for the record, I don't think you did) The kitchen is so classic and timeless, it is still so beautiful to look at. Glad you shared it Show & Tell. If you ever figure out how to make a focal point out of fat, please share.
Hmmm, a name for your question Tuesday...I like Tuesdays with Betsy. Or "Talk to Me Tuesdays"

Whatever you decide to call it, I will be thinking of questions for you. ;)

Sharon

Unknown said...

This is awesome. It isn't quite what I imagined a rock star's house looking like. I expected studs and vinyl. Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

I love reading your blog. Your personality shines through along with your professional advice.

It's so refreshing not to see Mid-Century Modern or brown leather sofas that look like big bears. Women buy those things to please men and end up hating them themselves. I'll be delighted to see brown run its course and be gone.

The Charm of Home said...

Fantastic! Thank you so much for joining me at Home Sweet Home! I love this kitchen. Lots of fun to look at your past work. I love the magazines you mention and used to drool over these very layouts. I love your style and enjoy seeing it all old or new! I will feature this next week in case anyone misses it! I may be too shy to converse with the published designers but your lovely wit and humor is so approachable and I know lots of my readers will want to visit your blog!
Sherry

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Such a warm and great kitchen, I would say a classic! Well, not a rock star's kitchen either, I expected it to have a silver ball going around like in the discos, lol! Very nice meeting you and looking so forward to seeing more of you and for some free tips on decor which is one of my passions. Hugs,
FABBY

Honey at 2805 said...

What a great kitchen and you really do ROCK! It's fun seeing your past projects and "stars". Thank you for sharing your lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

At The Picket Fence said...

First of all, let me just say that I think you are hilarious! :-) Secondly, I'm kind of sitting here in total awe of you...YOU are the rock star to me! Now I love me some Aerosmith but those rooms are truly amazing and what I love is that no matter how long ago they were completed, there is such a timeless and classic feel to them. That is what defines great style to me. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

You have me laughing over here Betsy! What a fun post and absolutely gorgeous kitchen!! Yes. You ARE a rock star! ;) Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Betsy this kitchen certainly does ROCK, I love everything about it!! That floor is stunning!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

The kitchen is beautiful, and timeless, since would fit perfectly today! Love how warm and cozy it is. I wish my Aunt would give me a set of table and chairs like that. You are pretty out there and funny. Enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...