Thursday, November 17, 2011

My dining room continued

Today we are back in my dining room, as my brother has left town, and I am taking a break from my niece Miriam's dining room (which I plan on finishing this weekend, if I can recover from my exhaustion. Boy, this manual labor is hard. My shoulders hurt, my hands hurt, my hips hurt, my knees hurt. The good thing is, I like to complain!!, and since I am doing this as a favor for Miriam, she has to listen. The problem is: She hasn't read the memo, and she doesn't want to hear about my delicate state.) (Which is why I'm telling you guys.) (Actually, no one in my family wants to hear about it.) (I do all this work, and the least they can do is listen to me go on and on about my aches and pains.) (I am a wonderful Aunt, I want some #$%^ coddling!!!!!)
Sooooo.....
Oh Boy!! here's another shot of my dining room!!!

Look at the bench, don't look out the sliding doors 'cuz I don't clean up my plants outside until the spring. I found this bench on EBay, and liked the needlepoint covering. It didn't have the little skirt, I added it, and the trim.


 
I found the pleated muslin trim in a local craft store, and dyed it off white by dipping it in tea. Sooo it is actually tea stained.


I have lots of left over trims, so I played around with some, and decided to layer the rose trim over the blue. Some of this I hand sewed onto the bench, and some of it I hot glued on. The reason I didn't hot glue all of it, is it didn't occur to me until I was half done. To freshen the old needlepoint, I steam cleaned it with my handy little steamer.

Here's a picture of my chandelier!!!

AREN'T YOU JEALOUS???!!! It was the first thing I bought for my new home, and it set the color scheme for the living room and dining room. I got it from a store in North Cambridge, MA called City Lights, it's on Massachusetts Avenue, if you want to go check it out. (The store, not the chandelier. It's an antique, so I got it, and you can't have it.)
I LOVE THIS SUCKER!!!!!!
Check out the close up. Check out the tear drop blue crystals. Check out how coooollll this is.


The little blue beads are called barrel beads. CHECK THEM OUT!!!
I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The reason they are called barrel beads is because.....(wait for it) They are shaped like a BARREL!!!
My brother has started reading my blog, and commented on the excessive use of exclamation points. I feel that exclamation points are sort of like accessories, why have a little if you can have a lot?

I had the lamp shades custom made. Sometimes, being a designer; it's just necessary to be extravagant. I used trim from Brunschwig & Fils, cut it in half for the edging.
O.K. campers, I am going to stop here. I went to the eye doctor today, and they dilated my eyes and everything is blurry. Great! Something more to complain about! Next post will be about more details on my dining room. Try to contain yourselves.



13 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

The chandy is stunning!!! Yes, it deserves more than one exclamation mark!!!

Unknown said...

Your a hoot ! I like to complain too , and I can't figure out why no one wants to listen . That chandelier is a beauty !!!!

Martha said...

You are so funny. Love the dining room chandelier... I have so much needlepoint to do up into something. I was thinking of taking it to that shop on Newbury Street but they are sooooooooooooo expensive. I live near Ithaca, NY but my daughter lives in Millis, Ma so sometimes I get the pleasure of going to Newbury Street. Strep is going around here brought to NY by my Grandchildren Not far from where you are so watch out that could be next.

Karen said...

Betsy - for years I couldn't wait for you to have a blog (I was hoping for a TV show, magazine, etc also, by the way:) - and it's been worth the wait!! But on top of all of the pictures, tips, inspiration - you make me burst out laughing at every blog! You are such a refreshing change in the blog world. . . and I THANK YOU KINDLY:)

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

I started reading your blog because Amy @ Maison Decor mentioned it. I started reading it for decorating ideas. But I must say, I think I'm getting as many jokes for my own personal arsenal as decor tips! BTW, I love that chandelier even though blue isn't really me. OK..so you can have it :-)

Amy Chalmers said...

Betsy you are so damn funny!!!!!!!! (hi to Betsy's brother)....I just love that chandelier too!!!!! It is gorgeous and no wonder it inspired everything else!! I agree with Karen, so glad you are blogging, but I really think you should have your own reality TV show!

Mir said...

It's hard to coddle you when usually the first thing out of your mouth when I call is "What do you want now?"

Hope you're feeling better :-)

Mir said...

Oh, and which brother? That comment could have come from either ;-)

Anonymous said...

Not to make YOU jealous BUT I have 2 blue opaline chandeliers -antique and all the drops, beads and bobeches from a huge 4 light wall sconce......

Just saying :p he he he.....

Love the dining room ....I looked into all my aches and pains and discovered I have Celiac Disease !
Feel better being gluten free. Look into it Bets.

Maureen said...

Betsy, Your chandy is beautiful!!!!!! Love your blog! You tell it like it is! It's so refreshing and you can tell this is the real you.

Olivia said...

I just wanted to comment and let you know that I only get the abbreviated version of your posts in my email now and I used to get the whole thing and was able to read it there. Now I have to log on and go to the real site which doesn't always work, especially on my iPhone. I love your blog and just don't want to miss anything, so bring back the full versions if possible.... PLEASE! Ha, I like to complain too. But really, keep on blogging, love it!

Donna D said...

LOVE that chandelier!!

Mary Ruth said...

LOVE that chandelier! I use a LOT of caps, ( ) and !!! That is the way I talk when I am excited! So, I write that way, I don't want anyone to think I am sitting there typing monotone! So, your blog reads well for me, I KNOW you are EXCITED about what you do AND you LOVE decorating and making your home a wonderful place! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...