Saturday, November 17, 2012

Decorating With Collections (or how to use lots of stuff)

Continuing on with my BFF's overstuffed home......
(and let me just say here and now, that I've encouraged and enabled her every step of the way.....)
let's go to the upstairs hall.
As you guys know, we used just a few dogs to decorate her living room.....
and being one to beat a dead horse.....
(not really,
 I don't hurt animals,
 that's just an expression, 
don't send me emails of outrage.....
JEESH!!!!)
where was I?????
Oh yeah, beating dead animals.....
No, no, no.....
COLLECTIONS!!!!!
THAT'S WHAT I WAS TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!
Anyway.
As we sorta' kinda' went a little wild with dogs in the living room, we figured why stop now???????
Soooooo.....
We went to another collection in the upstairs hall.
(Actually, we've done one in every room, 
but you'll just have to wait to see them all.......)
SO HERE'S THE UPSTAIRS HALL!!!
Boy.....
Since I'm shooting in towards the window, you can't even see what our collection is.....
Here's a closer shot.
Now.....
I could say that we chose owls, because we are both such wise old babes.....
But the truth of the matter is.....
they were prints I had left over from my Lake Sunapee cabin, and Kris was a big enough sucker savvy enough shopper to snatch these babies up!!!!!

I got the brilliant idea that we needed more than prints, so Kris, being the intrepid ebayer that she is, found this pair of birds.
Here's an even closer shot of the owl prints.....
And another of the grouping on the right....
And the grouping on the left.....

This is the wall across from the owls.
We haven't started hanging things yet.
We need to get everything we want to hang collected before I put the next hole in the wall.
The collection on the opposite wall is going to be pictures of animals that the owls eat.
Squirrels, mice, little birds.....etc.
Kris has a really warped sense of humor.
Needless to say, I think this is a brilliant idea!!!!!

Kris found this wonderful statue that looks like it's carved out of wood, but it's plaster, or something.
She told me what it was made out of, but I wasn't listening.....
I was probably too busy talking......
This is a rotten picture, since it's towards the window.
Kris suggested that I move the owl away from the light to get a better picture....
BUT.....
I was too lazy.....
So suck it up and deal with it!!!!!
Ain't I the gracious one!!!!!
I am a lady of class and refinement!!!!!
Yep!!!!
Indeedy do!!!

On that note,
I'm off to dinner with my family, wish me luck.
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:

20 comments:

Lee said...

I can always count on improving my mood when I read your blog...and after watching a sucky movie which brought tears, I was extremely happy to see you posted. Can't wait to see the wall of prey! LOL
Thanks for the smiles!

laney said...

...i had had the most horrible terrible no good day...until...i came here..."a wall full of animals that owls eat"...i ask you...how can one not laugh at that?!...thank you betsy...you are a blessing indeed...laney

Janet said...

Laney, "some days are like that, even in Australia"...how I love that book. Yep, Betsy always makes me laugh :)

Cyndia said...

I love the owls even more than I love the dogs! I've got my own owl collection; little statues mostly, but I've been jonesing for some of those owl prints. Now I better get busy, I guess!

Divine Theatre said...

A parliament of owls...very nice.
I guess the notion of removing things from the window actually negates the concept of a decorating blog. It would be more like a "Here Is All My Stuff In a Pile" blog. Not as much fun, methinks!
I have a new dog for my collection. Tallulah the English Bulldog. I wasn't looking for a dog but the rescue I volunteer for called me and asked if I knew anyone who was able to care for a neglected, unloved girl. I said no.
That is a lie, of course. We brought her home last night.
Too much information? Perhaps.
I just noticed the bullseye mirrors look like big 'ol owl peepers! Good one!

xo

Andie

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

I loved the downstairs, and I love this room. Dogs and owls and mice, oh, my! I have to laugh, because when I saw the owls, my first thought was "I hope the dogs don't get them!" I guess I have a really warped sense of humor, too. Which is likely why I love this blog.

20 North Ora said...

Betsy - Love the arrangement with the owl prints. Owls are so popular now. Looks really nice.

Judy

Carolyn Langston said...

Betsy -- you gotta stop putting an apostrophe in front of almost all the words that end in "s." Upstairs doesn't have one. How about I edit for you and you can give me ideas. :-D

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy! Another nice spot in Kris' home! Seeing all of the owls made me remember my mother used to collect owls, so many owls.
Have a nice time with your family and Happy Thanksgiving.
Be a sweetie
Shelia ;)

laney said...

...i cannot help myself...but this post have been such a "hoot"!...and janet...i love that someone in australia knew what i was talking about...blessings everyone...laney

Grey said...

You make me smile--Thank you!

Unknown said...

I love owls too! :D I think that this is an absolutely lovely wall!!! The prints are fab! :D

Hugs,

Blondie's Journal said...

You make me laugh! The owls look wonderful on this wall...I'm interested in what you'll come up with the opposite wall! ;-D

XO,
Jane

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love this cozy sitting area and that wonderful wall of owls. I would love to find a pair of brackets something like those or whatever they are called.

Botanic Bleu said...

Owls...wonderful collection...last year at the Paris Objet and Maison (or was it Maison and Objet?), there were fabulous collections of taxidermied birds (including owls), petrified nautilus shells, antlers, etc... from more than one vendor. The wonderful thing about all these was that they were REAL, not copies.

This collection of prints is one of the nicest that I have ever seen. What a fantastic styling job!

Will be back to see the wall of prey...

Trisha said...

Love the blog. Suggestion for the wall of prey...small dogs! Then you can tie all the collections together. Sounds macabre but true.

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG said...

found you over at Savvy Southern Style...love this post - and owls too! Can't wait to see what you do with the other wall...I'm off to check out your blog

Meredith @ The Laundry Can Wait said...

As a former Chi Omega (well, I guess I'm one for LIFE), I LOVE the owl wall. (Owls are the Chi O mascot). Wish I would have had this in college!! What's even better is that your sense of humor is such a "hoot"!

Found you through WUW. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings from OK City,
Meredith at thepolkadotshoes.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I can relate. Collection just seem to gather around me. LOL
Love the owl prints. Happy Thanksgiving........Sarah

Anonymous said...

Are owls truly "back"? In fashion, I mean. I just don't understand that. But I love the way Betsy makes a wall look like a beauty. Even with owls.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...