Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My cottage dining room

If you don't want to see the following message...
Join my followers list!!!!!
I am going to keep posting this until I get at least 150 followers!!!
the following is an unpaid public service announcement........

Before I start today's post, I have a leetle request. As a new blogger, I would like to goose up my followers list, so if you read my blog, could you please add your name to the list? I would really appreciate it, and it would make me feel VERY popular!!!!!!!
Thanks!!!

The preceding was an unpaid public service announcement

To continue the tour of my Watertown cottage....
Here's the dining room...................







































Photograph from House Beautiful, shot by Eric Roth

This is another example of living with a house a little bit before you start ripping it to shreds. I was sooooooooooo young and stupid when I first bought this house, that I didn't like the corner cabinets. It was the 70's, when mylar and flock wallpapers were all the rage (oh, wait, they've come back around.....aaaahhhhhh!!!!! OH NO!!!!!). I actually wanted to tear out the cabinets. (major head slap!!)
Luckily, I didn't have the money to do this right away, so by the time I had saved some up, I had come to my senses.
Then I thought it would be a good idea to paint the chair rail a different color than the rest of the woodwork. At least, a coat of paint is an easy thing to fix. I was young and trying to reinvent the wheel.
I found this wonderful old hanging light (it's made out of pieces of translucent shell), and had it replace the boring brass colonial chandelier that was original to the house. I covered the walls in basket weave grass cloth (still one of my favorites, it's so warm and cozy).
I still have this table and chairs, here's a shot from my current dining room.....






































Because my current home is mainly used in the summer months, I decided to go with a cooler color pallet, but I think I miss the warmer tones.
Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

Here's a shot of my cottage table set for the House Beautiful photo shoot. I borrowed Hermes plates. I pronounced the name wrong when I went to pick them up form the Hermes store, and they laughed at me. Well.....I speak English, not French. (my father is probably cringing, as I took French for 9 years, starting in third grade. My school system thought that starting kids at an earlier age would facilitate their absorption of another language. Boy, I proved them wrong!!!)

Look!!!!!!!
This is before my silver plate flat ware from Pottery Barn tarnished!!!!
I am starting to think I need to buy some silver polish.
I have a lot of stuff that used to sparkle that is now just grey.
Kind of like the natural color of my hair.

This is a shot from the breezeway just outside the dining room french door. The lab is Amber, my brother's family's dog, and the retriever belonged to a client of mine, we borrowed them for the photo shoot. We needed dogs, since that was the theme of the shoot, and I'm not EVER going to have another one. I still haven't gotten over the last one. (Don't be leaving me comments about how a new one will heal my soul, luckily the condos where I live in Massachusetts don't allow dogs.) 

They are pretty cute though.
I'm standing just inside the door with some treats. That's why they are paying such complete attention.
God I love dogs.....
NO, I'm not getting another!!
I built that picket gate MYSELF!!!
When I did have a dog, I needed to enclose the back yard, and this was the way I kept her from escaping through the breezeway.

Next post will continue the cottage tour. We still have the bedroom, den and back yard, so come on back!!!
P.S. for some reason the spell check isn't working, so excuse any misspelled words, I'm sure there are tons.
Oh, good, the spellcheck came back on, so I fixed a ton of words.
Betsy
Linking to:  Faded Charm; White Wednesday
                  Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Sunday's Best Linky Party!

6 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

Love this!! Keep 'em coming! Congrats on 99 followers too! ANd did you see I bought the same camera you have???

Elegant Economies said...

Ta-Da! I am your 101st follower! Love your decor!
Audrey

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Everything looks so wonderful, love your spaces!! So glad you did not tear out those beautiful corner cupboards, btw!! I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com Hugs, Gayle

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

wow that fence is something else! Cant believe you built that. Kudos to you. I am going to be your 103 followere
Welcome aboard the blogging train.

Jeanne said...

Hi Betsey - I am a follower and LOVE your blog, just don't know how to sign on other than email. So count me in please!

Barb in South Carolina said...

Hi Betsy, I love your blog...wish you could stop by on the way to Florida and turn my dining room into a cottage dining room...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...