Friday, December 16, 2011

How to arrange flowers (Miriam is so lucky)

Yayyyyy!!!!!
I don't need to buy that urn back from my niece, Miriam!!!
I am awesome, and did an arrangement that she likes. So she will keep the urn, and all the flowers she bought from Michael's. I actually used all of them in the arrangement. So we don't need to return NOTHIN'!!!
I worked on the floral arrangement in my dining room, so she will have to come get it and bring it back to her house. Unfortunately, I won't be able to show any pictures of it in her dining room, but will show how it looked in mine.
Remember the urn? We got it a couple of weeks ago at a group antique mall (junk store) in the greater Boston area.

This was the blurry picture I took with my new phone.














Miriam emailed me a picture of how it looked on her table.....

It doesn't look half bad. Hard to believe it was only 20 smackers!!!










Here it is in my dining room, about to be transformed by my magic hands.....







































First, I pulled out the ball of Styrofoam we bought at Michael's.......




















Then I placed it in the urn.................







































Then I pulled out all the flowers we (Miriam) bought from Michael's....

They looked much prettier than I remembered them. Who Knew??








Then I had to hack the stems down with my wire cutters. Boy what  a pain in the @#$%&.
Then I stuck them in the ball in a VERY artistic manner.....

Then I realized that I hadn't cut the stems down enough. OY, OY, OY!!! So I had to pull them out and hack them down some more. Oy!







Soooooo..... I just kept cutting and sticking more in.....
And them realized the ball was too high.
Yikes!!
So I got my serrated knife out and sliced the bottom off the ball. (This might be why some men are scared of me) (don't mess with middle aged women) (not that I don't love men) (a little ketchup, a little salt.....)













I kept sticking in flowers.....




















Till I stuck them all in!!!!!




















And then I mushed them around till I liked it!!!!!

What do you think??











Linking to: House of
Grace

16 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

oh I think it looks fantastic! You certainly do have magic hands!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Betsy Speert said...

If someone wants to leave a critical comment, that's fine, but at least don't leave it anonymously. You guys know who I am, so I should know who you are!!!
So there!!!

Betsy Speert said...

I didn't mean to delete anonymous's comment!
She wrote:
"I think that you could use more foliage. When making a floral arrangement, you should first place the greenery in the shape that you want the arrangement to be. Then you should place the flowers. The shape that you have achieved looks very good for the size and shape of the container. It could use a little more fullness."

Amy Chalmers said...

Totally agree with you about hiding behind anon. If you are anon, say nice things. If you don't feel like being nice, then leave your name or just leave.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the flower arrangement and urn!

Karen said...

Am I the only one who burst out laughing at the anonymous comment? Sounds like a hall monitor and definitely a bossy boots personality. Not trying to be unkind either - I found the comment a bit on the entertaining side actually . . . I think the floral arrangement looks elegant and rustic country at the same time (can't go wrong there:)

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

I like it but yeah, in a way it does look a bit sparse in the middle near the top. But hey, if it works for Miriam, who am I to say ;-) (I think that top/center one might be just a tad bit too high.)

Betsy Speert said...

I used all the flowers we got from Michaels. They had almost nothing in stock. If it's too skimpy, blame Michaels! When I go back up north in the spring, I will probably add to it. Boy, you guys are a tough audience. If you're not nice, I'll have Amy's hubby get you, he's in the LAW!

Karen said...

OK - that's THE reason I like this arrangement - because it's not totally fussy perfect - otherwise it would look too fake! To me it looks like it was picked right out of the garden . . .

Betsy Speert said...

Yay!! Karen, that's the look I was going for! Like I was some grand lady, sauntering in from picking flowers in my garden, and sticking them artfully in this old urn I had lying around the castle!

Amy said...

I'm more interested in the cool urn you scored! Do tell your secret shopping places!

Suffia said...

Your arrangement looks just perfect in that urn. Beautiful!

Consultoria RH said...

Este blog é uma representação exata de competências. Eu gosto da sua recomendação. Um grande conceito que reflete os pensamentos do escritor. Consultoria RH

Donna D said...

Beautiful! I have a few urns at home, I'll have to hit up Michael's...when I get back from Florida!

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

Looks perfect....Not over done and how it would look had you just came in from your on garden and decided to dress your urn....

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...