Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Vermont Country Dining Room

OK, let's first deal with the last post's pictures.....
I was feeling a little under the weather, and this is just an example of how our brains can shut down.....
I knew that the picture below was over saturated with color, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
Now, you gots to realize, that this is something I know how to do....
This is something I do on a regular basis.....
This is something that my mind totally forgot.....
in my hour of not feeling so goodly
Soooooo.....
for those of you not familiar with PicMonkey.....
it's a sometimes free program on line that can do some good stuff to your pictures.
You have to pay a yearly fee if you want its advanced abilities, but it still offers a lot of stuff for free!!!!!
Soooooo.....
first is the shot that I edited while brain dead.....
This is what it looks like when I feel gooder!!!!
Here's a side by side, so you folks that still are not editing your pictures can realize what you're missing.....
I was able to correct the color.
It made me a much happier camper.
I really miss my mind when it goes away.....
Now it's not so much worse that the Traditional Home picture.
OK, enough about this issue.....

On to new stuff!!!!!
Let's go into the dining room.
There's so much to talk about in there.
I can probably get two or three days milked out of this room!!!!!
Traditional Home 2004
When I first started working on this house, Connie didn't trust my sense of scale like she does now.
She didn't realize that I am the 
wizard of scale!!!!!
When we found that reproduction hutch, I fell in love with it.....
But
CONNIE was worried that it would feel too large and tall.
She's not that big, her head being not so far off the ground.....
(She's not short exactly, but she certainly ain't tall.....)
I've noticed that not so tall people
 (my niece Miriam is an example of this.....),
can prefer smaller scale things when I first start working with them.
Over time my browbeating tutelage kicks in, and they start going for bigger....
(anyway that's what I've deluded myself into thinking...) 

Where was I?????
Once again I went off on a tangent.....

Oh yeah, the hutch!!!!!
So, at first we just ordered the bottom, as a server.
And I went to work on her.
Cajoling, beseeching, imploring, rolling around on the ground begging...
and she finally caved relented, and we ordered the top too.
Then the problem was.....
WHAT TO PUT IN IT???!!!
I mean.....
It HAD to have a collection.....
June, my office manager, girl Friday (girl....HA!!!), all around helper outer and one of my bestest friends in the UNIVERSE, had been collecting brown transferware for eons.
Sooooo...
I got the idea from seeing it in her house.
She may even have suggested it.
Who can remember, I mean, this was 10 years ago.
I love the way it looks against the warm tones of the wood.
If I had room in my house for another collection, I would get me some of that.
But I don't......
OY, OY, OY
BUT DON'T YOU JUST LURV IT?????
That's it for today.
I wrote this late, and it's time to chillax for the night.
So on that note....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

8 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

The brown transferware is absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful collection your friend has.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Beautiful! Love those buffalo check curtains too! And the shade over the dining room table is wonderful!

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

I love this room!

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy!
I loved that big tasseled light fixture from the moment I first saw it in your book on color.It is gorgeous!!
And a few weeks ago I was able to buy 4 yards of the rose pink buffalo check( Nina Campbell) from a very nice ebay seller, and I am kicking myself for not getting all 20 yards that she had up for sale.By the time I realized what a treasure this fabric was- it was all sold!!.Grrr...
BTW, Betsy- my all time favorite bedroom is still your own bedroom at your former cabin in the woods- you stenciled stars on the walls and used that beautiful Fowler ‘ Old Rose’ chintz, so yummy!! Can you show it again on your blog, please??By sheer luck I was able to snag a few yards of it on Fabric guru.com, for basically NOTHING! And so far, that’s exactly what I have done with it..nothing. But one day...
And because of eBay, I was able to amass a whole collection of blue transferware which I have in my dining room hutch.

Jayne said...

Love the hutch and the transferware, just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your first photo needs a black cat on the chair. Then it would be perfect!
Beautiful room!

Jaybird said...

Yes Ma'am...you IS the scale wizard, and that room is BEAUtiful!!! I love the big hutch AND the brown transferware!!
Blessings to you,
J

Cynthia said...

What an abosolutely great collection of transferware. I am jealous. So beautiful!!

Cynthia

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...