Saturday, March 24, 2012

More of My Master Bedroom.....

  The term "master bedroom" kinda (well, not kinda, it REALLY) irritates the $%@ out of me, 'cuz there ain't NO master in my household.
But I digress from my tour of my bedroom....

ON TO THE OTHER SIDE!!!

This is the table on the other side of my bed.......
(how exciting is this stuff, anyway!!??)

Come closer.....

Now, Amy Chalmers at Maison Decor, likes a pretty telephone, but she is 
VERA Frenchy.....
here's a shot of her living room phone.....


Here's a closeup of mine.....

Her's is all fancy schmancy, mine is clunky, I don't remember where I found this phone, but I found this place on the internet that sells them.

I think our phones pretty much sum up our outlook on decorating. 
She is ONE fancy schmany decorating whirlwind.
I am clunky.

I like the way my phone rings, it is genteel and old timey.
(Just like me!!! Except for the genteel part.)


 Since I am writing this blog post from my home in Massachusetts, I can't look on the bottom of the vase and heron, to see who the hell made them.
So, just look at them, and appreciate the color and form......

The flowers came from Anthropology 9 years ago, and haven't wilted yet, even though I have never changed the water!!!!!

The woman in the tarnished (something else I have to polish) silver frame is my grandmother, it's a drawing!
Everyone in my immediate family has copies of this piece of art.
It was drawn by Norman Rockwell!!!!
How cool is that????!!!!

(I HAVE to stop buying silver things.)

Okay dokay, now lets move to the next wall.....

The mirror over my dressing table is a 
Venetian Mirror

The vernacular definition of a Venetian Mirror, is one with mirrored borders, applied around the edge of a mirror. 
The mirrored borders usually have etched patterns on them,
BUT....
This one is unusual in its simplicity, as none of the pieces have been etched.
It's very old.....
Older than me!!!


I found these little bird pictures years and years and years ago. They used to hang in my Watertown living room over the door leading into the dining room.

Now they're in my bedroom and bathroom.
I used some paint from my paint by numbers kit that my friend June gave me, and changed the frames to green.
I used a dry brush technique so that some of the gold paint still showed through.

This is a close up of the plates flanking the mirror.....
Again, since I'm not in Florida.....
I can't look them up or tell you ANYTHING about them.....
But I like the way the white contrasts with the bamboo wallpaper.


This is a wonderful painted tin flower bucket that I found at a local flea market.....
I use it as my waste paper basket.....
I like to use all sorts of weird items as waste baskets,
I never see any ones I like that are SUPPOSED to be used as waster paper baskets.
Go figure.
You would think it wouldn't be that hard to design decent looking ones...


I had lots of fun finding paintings to go over my bed.
I looked on ebay under the search word: tropical bird, tropical landscape, etc. etc.


I found these under my tropical bird search...


I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about them,
except....
They are oil paintings
They are also older than I am!
They fit over my bed
I think they are pretty.....

So, at first, they were all I had hanging over the headboard.
BUT!!!!
Being me!!!!!
I felt I needed MORE STUFF!!!!!

So I found this painting in a frame that was similar to the birds, and snapped it up.....

I love this arrangement over my bed. The colors in this grouping relate nicely to each other, the frames unite the three pieces, and the shapes work  by framing the outline of the headboard.

TOMORROW!!!!!
On to the fourth and last wall of my Florida bedroom.
Just in time for me to get back down there on Monday, to have another space to show you on Tuesday!!!!!

Later Gator
Photobucket

5 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

The drawing of your grandmother is beautiful; what a great story! Fabulous bedroom!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I was wondering who that was in the picture..beautiful..I so love all of your pottery..Your bedroom is gorgeous...and yes, the phone, so fancy!!..and Amy's is so oo-la-la...Love it all..

Vicki said...

That is so totally neat that you have a drawing of your grandmother by Norman Rockwell!! It really does look very Norman-Rockwellish, great expression and personality. I like the landscape over your bed too. Hope you are having a nice time in Mass.

Amy Chalmers said...

Hi, its me, fancy pants girl! I got a laugh out of this post~when you see my bathroom doors, you will know you nailed it when you called me fancy schmancy~but I see many fancy things in your pads too, lets start with Venetian mirror fetish of yours!~I love them too!! And the elegant china you hang on your walls along. Fascinating about your grandmother being a subject of Norman Rockwell, hoping to hear more about how that came to be. I love this view of the bedroom, its gorgeous Betsy. Those paintings look so fantastic, why doesn't everybody buy artwork off of ebay or etsy?

Carrie said...

In my home(my life) there is no master either. So I call the biggest bedroom (mine) the Principal Bedroom! It is across the hall from the Guest Bedroom and the Study.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...