Saturday, March 31, 2012

More of My Florida Guest Room!!!



I added shutters to the sliding doors, just like I did in my master bedroom.
Here's what they looked like before the shutters.....

Bare feeling, not cozy. I had been thinking about changing the doors to look like French doors, but in Florida, to be practical because of warping...
you need to use fiberglass, and I don't like the way the grills are held in the fiberglass doors.

So, I didn't know what to do, until I saw what my neighbors did, 
sooooo....
I did it toooooo!!!!!

I find the transformation amazing.
Even after all these years of decorating,
I still get a rush when something so simple makes such a 
dramatic difference!!!!!

Here's a full view....
('cuz I really love how this turned out!!!)
It opens right onto my postage stamp pool!!!!
Looking straight across to my bedroom, with its own set of
 new plantation shutters!!!

Quite a change from when I first saw this house!!!
The view out the door has certainly improved!!!

OK, on to the next wall,
THIS ONE IS DONE!!!

At the foot of the bed is an armoire that has the acanthus leaf turnings of the West Indies style I was going for.....

I had it hauled down from Massachusetts along with the monster I put in my living room.

IT GAVE ME ANOTHER SURFACE FOR MORE
STUFF!!!!!
So, of course.....
I had to cram some more birds and vases in the room...

I had an opportunity to collect another color!!!!
Yippee!!!
YELLOW!!!!!
I thinks its pretty.

Just a bunch more McCoy and Abingdon pottery with Royal Copley birds

I swear, when I'm sleeping, the damn things are multiplying.

But who wouldn't want some of these!!?????

OK
I'll come clean.....
The reason I showed you so many pictures of the collection on top of this armoire....
IS BECAUSE, IT TOOK ME TIME TO TAKE THEM,
(I had to get up on a ladder)
 SO I'LL BE DAMNED IF YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT THEM!!!

I lucked out, and found a pair of split reed small barrel chairs to flank the armoire.
You know how I love split reed.
I WAS ABLE TO GET THREE PIECES IN ONE ROOM!!!!!

The starfish is made out of plaster, I think I got it from Pottery Barn.
I wish I could find another one, 'cuz when I had some work done in the powder room that backs up to this wall, the vibration of the hammering caused one to fall off its nail and break, now I only have one.
WELL I NEED TWO.
The prints are more birds by John Gould, the same guy who painted the birds over the bed.....


NOW...
Before I go.....
Here's a picture of one of the birds on the side of my armoire....
This guy is different.....
He was made by Roselane in Pasadena Ca.
Probably from the 40's.
THIS IS MY PROBLEM!!!!
I now have two of these off white birds, one on either side of the armoire.
I also have two in green on the chest of drawers that I will show you tomorrow......
OK, now that makes 4 by this company......
WHEN HAVE I EVER STOPPED AT 4 OF SOMETHING?????
I'm running out of space, and I feel a compulsion to add more @#$ birds!!!!


HELP!
I'M COLLECTING AND I
CAN'T STOP!!!!!


Later, Gator
Photobucket

9 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh such a beautiful guest room and the shutters are perfect. Great idea. Love wish I had a postage stamp pool like yours. I miss our old one. Your collections are so interesting. I love seeing them. Hugs, Marty

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Betsy I love all your "stuff"!! I think it's all our "stuff" that makes a house a home! Beautiful guest room and those shutters look fabulous!!

Mary Anne said...

Betsy: Loved your post on bird collecting! I also have been enjoying your blog which is new to me. Fun, inspiring and the "multiplying birds" made me laugh. . . . a little too familiar! I did a bird post a month or so ago and found it great fun! I am always looking for those little creatures too!
Mary Anne ox

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Betsy, take a break from blogging and go find another starfish. You gotta have two, right ;-)
Wonderful room and I especially LOVE the sliding door "shutters".

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I love seeing your collections! I collect too, as does my hubby and since we are moving we realize just HOW MUCH WE HAVE COLLECTED!!!!!!!! I YI YI!!!! We need to reduce some things. Luckily our daughter and SIL are also building a home so they will get alot of stuff;):) I adore the shutters!!! Beautiful. Love the entire room. XO, Pinky

Amy Chalmers said...

Love the shutters so much! What a huge difference, and of course the landscaping outside made it feel like an oasis~no wonder you love to go to FL, you created your own private resort!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Don't you dare stop collecting, Betsey!!! I have the same problem!

We can go to rehab together, k?
:)

I love your gorgeous room and love the texture the new blinds add to the room.
Is that a Phillip Jeffries woven wallcovering? Love it! Could not find a mention of it on your last two posts but maybe I just missed it.

Love it all. Gorgeous.
xox
A

Lori said...

I totally understand the collecting thing. You know you just had to buy that house to store your collection.. They look so good in Florida. My problem is tea cups, white creamers, white plates, linen napkins.... or please make me stop, I could go on somemore if I tried.

Lori said...

silver napking rings.... STOP ME PLEASE.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...