Friday, March 16, 2012

Cottage Dining and More!!!

   
OK, I've rested, so lets see if I can write a coherent post.
I will resume, not where I left off, but where I started on Thursday.

MY DINING ROOM!!!!
Yes, I KNOW, I'm still talking about the space where food is supposed to be served (but isn't very often.)

(Ah-Oh, if you look in the kitchen, you can see that I didn't realize that the black cord of the photography lights is showing in the picture.)
(I am such an accomplished photographer!!!!)
(I mean, it's smack in the middle of the shot!!!!)
(I'm too lazy to reshot, pretend it's not there, OK????)
I'm about to amaze you with another before and after.
The shot above is the AFTER!!!!

This next shot is the BEFORE!!!!!
This is how the house looked when I saw it with my real estate agent.
The previous owners furniture was a little glitzy....
I made a few changes.....
wood flooring...........
closed up the pass-through  from the kitchen into the living room.....
extended the wall in the kitchen to the end of the peninsula.....
yanked out the white laminate built-in in the living room.....
wallpapered EVERYTHING!!!!.....
changed the doors on the kitchen cabinets.....
added a crown molding to the kitchen cabinets.....
changed the tile backsplash.....
changed the countertop......
and
DECORATED (yah!!!).

The before.....
(That's my blue file folder, I was taking measurements for my floorplans.)

The folks I bought the house from, figured that if a little white is good.....
a lot of white is better.....
welllll, I like me some color!!!

and the after.....

the before....

I think it's so funny that we both bought sunflower pictures for this wall....

and the after.....
This is my bar, I will discuss this more tomorrow.....

an overview of the whole space (sort of)...

and a detail of my little bookcase.....
I found this on ebay!!!
I was looking for a VERY specific size.
I wanted something in split reed.
I figured, I had ZERO chance of finding something, since I was so narrow in my search of what I wanted. 
AND I FOUND EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!
Well, not exactly, I never dreamed of something this quirky and cool!!!


This is the definition of split reed:
Flat on one side and very rounded on the other, a circle or core of rattan cut in half.
Sometimes called split reeds, used primarily in basketry for heavy-duty rims, runners and handles.


It's one of my favorite materials in furniture, and I used it all through out my Florida home.

I combined several different types of stuff to create this arrangement over the little bookcase.

The plates are majolica asparagus plates.
You arrange the spears around the outside rim, and place the dipping sauce in the indentation.

These plates I found on ebay in Europe.....
So, I was bidding on them, and all excited because there were four, and I wanted four!!!!!
So, I win the suckers....
YAY!!!
The next day I get an email from some stylist at Martha Stewart, telling me that he had meant to bid on them, but they slipped through his hands, and would I mind lending them to him for a photo shoot, he would pay for the shipping, etc. etc. etc.
So I nicely emailed back, letting him know that I needed them for a book I was writing on cottage design, and that NO he couldn't borrow them.
I think he thought that I would fall over backwards in joy, being flattered by attention from someone working for MARTHA STEWART!!!!
Never dawned on him, that maybe there are other FABULOUS folks bidding stuff up on ebay.
Never heard from the #$%er again. 
I think it was that guy Eddie.
Not sure.
Didn't really care to remember his name.
OH, the egos of us designers.....


So, I found these cool candle holders, and couldn't figure out how to use them. 
So.....
Betsy's rule number(I don't know what number I'm up to, oops!)
When in doubt!!!!!
HANG IT ON THE WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!


I got some questions about my sardine box, so I thought I'd share pictures of my collection, and tell you guys what the hell they are!!
The were used (and still can be) to serve sardines.
You plop the opened can in the box, and place it on your dinner table.

They came in all different styles, to go with all different types of china.
There are also a lot of majolica ones around, but I prefer the white china boxes.
I think they is pretty!!!!!
What think you????

They can also be metal, like the one I have in my living room...

OK, that's it for today, campers.
Tomorrow we move to the bar!!!!
Yay!!!
Booze!!!!

Later, Gator
Photobucket
Partying at:


 

15 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Gorgeous. I love your dining area. Beautiful decor and love the colors. Hugs, Marty

Miss Char said...

Your room is wonderful, the changes you've made are real eye candy for anyone who loves decorating. As for the sardine tins, this is my first glance of them. Thanks for sharing.

Maureen Wyatt said...

Ehh, who cares about a cord. We get that you don't always have one draped across your kitchen as an accessory. Love the sardine boxes! ~ Maureen

Babs said...

Sardine boxes! Who knew? Now there will be a run on them on ebay and the antique shops. LOL Just kidding.
I'm glad you didn't share your dishes with that guy. Back in the '90s, every time Martha used to get interested in something vintage or antique, the price would go sky high. LOVE your majolica dishes and the dining chairs.

Syndi White said...

Love your use of patterned fabrics. Your home is filled with personality! Those sardine boxes crack me up. They look so pretty and delicate and then there's that sardine flopping on top. Very whimsical!

Bette Jo said...

I love all the changes you have made to your home Betsy. I enjoy seeing how you spread color around your rooms. I had never heard of sardine boxes before. My grandfather loved sardines but he didn't have a special box for them! Your posts are wonderful and I look forward to each one.

foreverdecorating said...

I like color too and you did a great job in injecting some personality and color into this space. Can't wait to see more.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for being you. Your home is beautiful and the photos are so much better with your running comments.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a difference!...You certainly have taken the room into a feeling of the true spirit of Florida....Spectaculous!

Shannon@ Cozy Home Scenes said...

I love your home, of course, but what fascinates me are the sardine boxes. I never knew such a thing existed. I can understand why you collect them because they are quite beautiful and unique. I have never eaten a sardine but maybe they would be more desirable in the pretty boxes,which is the point, I suppose. Glad you educated me on sardine boxes!-------- Shannon

Savannah Granny said...

Love what you have done here. I love your sense of style and color. Color is our friend.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love the color pallet in the dining area! The textures are amazing! Thanks for sharing the sardine boxes too-

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Betsy,
I love your wallpaper, I have been wanting to use wallpaper in my master bedroom. I love how it adds so much texture to the walls. Your split reed bookcase is beautiful! what a pretty find. I have never seen a sardine box before WOW! I like the metal sardine box very much. Also what a great idea to use candle holders arched around the plates, the candle holders look like roses to me.
I must tell you that I have been a fan of your style for a long time. I have your book Great Color & Pattern Collection. Your book has given me many hours of day dreaming of beautiful rooms. I reference it often for inspiration.
Have a sweet day full of sweet moments.
Elizabeth (Home is Where the Heart is)

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Awesome job! I love the room.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Janette - The2Seasons said...

This is the first time I have ever heard of or seen a sardine holder. What does a can of sardines cost? 59 cents? How great is it that people hid those little cans of thrift in something so adorable. By the way, I am in Florida for two weeks of bicycling and am lovin' the weather!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...