Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Final Wall of My Cottage Bedroom!!!!!

  
 Oh Boy!!!
You guys now get to see.....
The last wall....
of my bedroom!!!!!

Typically.....
I have a ton of stuff to say about EVERYTHING in the picture.

Lets start with the chest of drawers....
This is how I found it in a local antique shop....
The paint job was...
Not my style.
Not my taste.
Not my cup-a-tea.
BUT
I loved the shape and period of the dresser!!!!
Loved.
Loved.
Loved.
It's a 1920's Louis the Sixteenth style chest.
THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PERIODS OF FURNITURE!!!!!
Funnily enough, I prefer the pieces from the 20's, not the real deal.
(yeah, yeah, I know, they is way cheaper, jeesh, that's not why.

Soooooooooooooo.....
I bought it and had it painted.

This is when I was working full time, and didn't have the energy to realize that not only can I paint furniture, but I am good at it.
(at least I think so)
So someone actually got PAID for painting this for me!!!!!
I did the distressing with sandpaper, because I am a real snob when it comes to distressing.
It needs to be where the furniture would naturally wear from years of use.
(Or, one month with me, 'cuz (as previously stated) I am a klutz.

I LOVE the detailing!!!!
Check this out.

It's wonderful how the drawers are outlined in that molding detail!!!!

Here's a shot of the leg....
Don't you love the carving along the bottom of the piece?????

Close up of the middle top drawer.
Can you tell I am in love with this chest????
My friend Lissette wants to steal it.

and finally.....
the detail of the carved back....
It's SOOOOO pretty!!!!!

I created a nice little tablescape for it's top....

The two pictures are of my Mom and me..... 

I USED to be a natural blond!!!!!!
(That's me in the front, laughing, I must have just told myself I joke)
(I've been funny a long time)
(at least I think I have)
(My mother is not so sure that I'm funny....)
(she's not laughing......)

And Of Course I have to have some pretty birds on my chest....
I have finally stopped adding to my collection.
(I think)

The big one in particular is a handsome devil!!!
He watches over me when I sleep.
(That's less creepy than thinking he watches me while I sleep)
(I know, I know, he's not really alive....jesh!)

I found the lamp in a junky store and fell in love with it.....
I've never seen another alabaster lamp like this one.
They usually come in urn shapes.

I found this water color of tropical birds in Boston....
Go figure....

I really lucked out when I stumbled across this chair in a Boston antique store, it was already painted and worn....

So I had a cushion made for it in the left over fabric of my draperies.
AGAIN!!!!
I paid someone to do something that I now have the time to do for myself!!!

Sooooooooooo............
I needed some artwork to hang on the wall over the chair,
'cuz, just the watercolor over the chest wasn't enough stuff on that wall...
ya know????
And I wanted something along the lines of a white heron.....
(sometimes I get VERY specific when hunting on ebay)

Soooooooooooo...........
I found this print mounted on poster board, and framed in a 
PLASTIC frame.
Not worth more than 3 bucks, TOPS!!!!!
But it was EXACTLY what I was looking for.
The right size.
The right style of artwork.
The right period.....

Now the problem with an auction, is if just ONE other person wants what you're bidding on.....
AND they are as fixated as you are.....
AND are willing to spend WAY more than the @#$ thing is worth....
YOU END UP PAYING A SMALL FORTUNE FOR A PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!
Needless to say, as you guys can see.... I won the auction.
After I won and paid for it, the seller emailed me to ask why I had been willing to pay so much.
I explained that it was exactly what I needed for a grouping of pictures.
She informed me that that had been the case with the other person bidding against me.
How much you want to bet it was another baby boomer with too much time on her hands and an obsession with decorating?????


So, I happily hung the picture on my wall, and lived with it for, oh, I don't know, a little while...
(ok, a day)
and decided the wall still looked incomplete.
So, back to ebay, where I found this pretty print, that WAS cheap.

I have no idea where it's supposed to be, but it's the right size, style and colors, so there ya go!

A finished vignette!!

AND THIS
CONCLUDES
 MY BEDROOM
TOUR!!!

Later, Gator
Photobucket
Partying at:
{nifty button} UndertheTableandDreamingshowitoff_monday_button
 Button copyBoogieboard Cottagemop it up mondaysEtcetorize
 

21 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

I love all the frenchy things you have in this room~that chair and that chest of drawers are so pretty. The chair cushion really made the chair didn't it? What color green did you paint the chest? Is it an old looking green that goes towards yellow or a mintier version. Pics show it both ways. Lastly, I like the pink and white parrot/bird statue~he's my fav.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I enjoyed the whole tour! Your room is filled with so many beautiful pieces and I LOVE that dresser and chair!! Cute baby pic too!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Betsy,

My first time visiting your blog. I just wanted to say I love that green chest of drawers - oh my gosh it is awesome and looks great where you have it!

I too hate over distressing, or that silliness of distressing everyone, not at all believing it is close to natural b/c no real though was to if it would actually distress that way.....something so simple done so wrong so many times.

Anyway, I must ask, one of the photos makes it look lighter green and the others a much more vibrant green - wondering which is closer to the real hue you can see with your eyes.

Green is hands down my most favorite color and I have been kinda thinking I may want to do this now.

You have inspired me, gal!

If you ever get the chance I would love you to pop on over and say hi on my blog, it is always so much fun to "meet" new friends!

Have a wonderful remainder of your weekend.

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Since it looks as if you like birds, you will like this little story: We have been in Florida for two weeks (it was supposed to be three, but that's another story). We arrived home today, and a dove has built a nest and is sitting on her eggs in a planter in our courtyard. I bought some suet for her at the store and hope she eats it before the darn squirrel gets to it. Wish her luck!!!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Betsy,
I want to steal the dresser too! I love it! and the color is so pretty. I adore your room its done to perfection.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

The dresser is gorgeous! Beautiful bedroom.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Well, I can say that your bedroom is awesome!!..I just love the color that you painted the dresser....and the detail is incredible...

So far from what you have posted of your Florida home..I definitely see a "Florida House" book in your future..you certainly have enough "material"...

Every room so impeccably done..evey detail superb...

Victoria said...

Betsy I am really enjoying this tour of your home.
It is almost as good as being there and walking through the rooms with you. So far as much as I have
loved everything else this room is my favorite.
The chest is an amazing find and I am right there
with you on this period of furniture. I also love
the 1930's I have my late parents' bedroom suite
which is now painted pale gray and the detail is wonderful on it as well.

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Oh Betsy, ya know I read your blog for decorating advice/ideas but I stay with your blog cuz of your exceptional humor! Your room is very lovely. I especially loved the painted dresser. I just painted a little night stand I've had for years...what a difference paint can do. Well, like I tell my clients, often on a tight budget my mantra is "Paint and a prayer!" :-)

Vicki said...

I'm with everybody else,I love the dresser--and it's amazing, but the details really show up better painted the way you have it. Of course,that may be because you took lots of closeups!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well, I got the whole tour and it was awesome! I love your style. Your color combinations are wonderful. And you sure have lovely things!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

I am green with envy over that dresser!

Tardevil said...

LOVE the wallpaper, color of the chest and the gallery wall. You know, there is a small bit of room still above the chair. (No, I don't sell on eBay! ;o) I'm just a bad influence! And, if your collection goes like mine, the bird collection might not yet be complete, either. ;o)

Nita Stacy said...

Love. love, love that green dresser. I'm crazy for 1920's furniture too. You have the best collection of birds....I swear. And that alabaster lamp is to die for.

Kellie Collis said...

Gorgeous dresser! And that chair is just stunning! Enjoy the lovely day, Kellie xx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Etcetorize said...

Oooh! Love, love, love the colour of the dresser and the shape of that chair. So glad you shared this at Etcetorize! (I'm following you now~)

Debra said...

I'm loving your whole house -- I hope you show us every bit of it. Can you please give the source for your bamboo wallpaper and bedroom fabrics? Thanks.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Period pieces add such a punch of personality to a home and this green beauty is full of personality. Love it. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful
pam

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

Ooooh, I love love love that dresser! The details are fab, and the color is PERFECT!

~Angela~

Miss Kitty said...

I got so many good ideas from just this teeney area of your house. The dresser has so much pretty detail...let me ask you this...do you paint the drawer pulls on all your painted pieces? I like the look on yours but I don't know if I would be brave enough to do it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...