Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm a Fool for Slip Covers

Before I get to the meat of this day's post,
I want to give a shout out to Judy Clark!!!!!
SHE SENT ME A PRESENT!!!!!!
Now, this is not a plug for more stuff, 'cuz to be honest, 
I usually don't like the gifts that I get.
But boy, did she nail it on the head!!!!!
I'm not sure where I'm going to put him. 
I wont' know till I go back down to Flerida.....
But he's going to fit right in to my bird collection, 
SOOOOOOOOOOO.........
Judy.....
THANK YOU!!!!!

Now, back to my Massachusetts home.....
Last time I showed you some slip cover details.....

I lifted up a little corner of a slip cover to show what was underneath....
Matter of fact, I didn't even bother to show this picture.....
Boy am I lazy!!!!
So I gave myself a stern talking to..... 
and pulled the slip cover off the chair.....
and took pictures to share,
(whoa baby! I just made a rhyme!!!!!)
 so you can see what a 
TRANSFORMATION
a well detailed cover can make.

This is the way the chair looks neekid....
It was my winter look in my house in Watertown.
I added a lot of little flourishes to the arms

 and back.....
which I had to work around with the slip cover.....
If I can add unnecessary details I will!!!!!
So I had the fabric that folded into the pleat be a contrast green strie.
One detail that I don't feel is an unnecessary addition is 
CONTRAST WELT!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!
So the ties and welting were a solid green.....
Ties make a nice touch, rather than a zipper....


Add in the scalloped bottom edged in trim....
And you have got one stylin' chair!!!!!
So, I have a winter look,                                    and a summer look!!!!!

Now, to all the nice folks who have wished me a speedy recovery from my rotator cuff surgery.
THANK YOU!!!!
But I had that operation 3 years ago......
I was just making the point of how I like mood altering drugs to admire my living room.
THAT WAS WHY.....
I was wondering what surgery to have NEXT!!!!!

Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
Primitive and Propershabby creek cottagePhotobucketgiveaways
Miss Mustard SeedFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

24 comments:

ShopGirl said...

OMG too funny !! I love recovering from stuff- my buddy broke her ankle and got to lay on the couch for a whole week with pain killers- I was jealous ;) Love the slip cover- I am trying to make a slip for my headboard and footboard - note the word "trying" we shall see if it turns out I will send you pictures, because I know how much you LOVE hearing from me !
The Other Betsy

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy! Love your little gift and I have his cousin, yes I do! :)
Love your pretty chair and the slipcover. What a slipcover too. Now I have a couple of winged back chairs in my bedroom and now I want a winter and summer look too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

nancy said...

I would love to see/know more about the little blue footstool, if you please. Thanks. N

Brenda Pruitt said...

Judy is a gem. When I moved to Tulsa last fall, she became my local friend. That woman is close to a saint. I moved here after a divorce and I really needed a friend, and that was her!
Brenda

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, you my dear are hysterical!!! Love the slip covers... hugs ~lynne~

Olive said...

I would love to have my dining room chairs slip covered but that is not to be so I will just moon over this glorious chair of yours. The detail is about eight kinds of wonderful.

Unknown said...

love the slipcover details!

Cassie Bustamante said...

so pretty! the scalloping at the bottom is my favorite part!

Fairfield House said...

Betsy,

Perhaps I should have started at your last post and read back. Please disregard my comment on one of your previous posts asking for details and more photos. In my defense, I hopped over from a party you linked to. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I am writing to inform you that I adore every detail of your cottage living room. The slip covers are simply charming. I think if I were a guest I would opt to sit on your white sofa and enjoy taking it all in (including the pain meds) btw, check the expiration date on that bottle.
If I had been reading your words when you were looking for a sign off line I would have suggested either "and that's no Boston Bull" (MA state dog) OR "See you lay da, Cod" (MA state fish, closest thing to a gahta)

Deborah

Amy Chalmers said...

Love the slipcovers and all the time consuming details you added to them. I am going to be working on some today in the shop for the garden chairs I have....but nothing this elaborate. YOu are a patient person...

Sandy said...

When I was a child we had a next door neighbor that put slip covers on her furniture each season including new curtains. I loved it and though it was so nice to have a new look as the seasons change. Always wanted to do it in my home but never have. Glad to hear that your "surgery" was 3 years ago. I wondered about that when you mentioned it. Anyways I love your slipcovered chairs and wish they were mine! I'm going to get new furniture for our family room one of these days and I think I will go with the expense of having slip covers done.

Bonnie Schulte said...

The summer slip covers are to die for. Love those cabbage roses/Peonies? Pretty,pretty, pretty

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

So you had us all worrying about your rotator cuff surgery that was 3 years ago!?!?! I'm wondering why the pain killers now at this late date! Yikes! You are such a card :-)

I made a very simply-styled slipcover once for a swivel rocker. (OK..I had to do SOMETHING for the ugly thing!) Wondering if I will ever get the gumption to try another slip cover. Yeah,it weren't purdy like your slipcovers :-( LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh My God! You just make me laugh out loud and bring a huge smile to my face....feeling good. Adore the slip covered chair, very inspiring and beautiful. I bet your friends are always laughing and love you. Thanks for making my day. Bobbie in Spokane

Anonymous said...

That pleat is genius! I've been wondering how to make a slipcover that doesn't require perfection on the fit, but looks perfect when on the chair. Now I know. Thanks. Nancy in Mpls.

Anonymous said...

You're slipcovers are the best. I add whatever details I can figure out how to execute, also. Love how the tassels peek through the eye holes. Also, the contrasting inners of the pleat. If you wern't a designer (great one) and an author (entertaining one) you would have been a dressmaker. I look forward to all your posts.

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

You are such a hoot!! Love reading the blog. That slipcover is pretty amazing and transforms the chair.

Mandy said...

No more Latah Gatah..... how about Cheers (well known tv sitcom based in Boston, MA...although I do like the "See you Later Cod!" kinda cute and funny too...right up your alley!!!
Hugs,
Mandy

Chubby Chieque said...

OMG... your such a good crafter.

I drool and envy how you sew. Great job.

Happy pre-w/end.

Greetings,
/CC

chateau chic said...

Your chair is definitely stylin'! It is so pretty and fresh looking for summer. Love it.
Mary Alice

foreverdecorating said...

Adorable transformation on this chair. Love the ties and scallops.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

My dream room would have a winter and a summer look...I've put off for several years slipcovering my two living room sofas....now you've gone and inspired me and I am feeling that compulsion to sew!!! I may just have to blatantly copy that scallop bottom...I LOVE it!
Blessings, Lorraine

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my goodness, that slipcover is so awesome! And that little scallop detail - divine! ... When can you come over and do my chairs???

Christine said...

Amazing!! Love that fabric! more details on that pleeeease 😊

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...