Sunday, May 6, 2012

I think this is really the last post on my study!!!

I think this is my last post on my Florida study, but as my previous post illustrates......
either you can't trust a word I write, or I haven't a clue what I'm going to do next.....
By the way....
did you guys catch that I had tweaked the flowers in the corner a little more??????
Remember, I had this
thought I could improve it, and did this.....
didn't like it as much, so I stuck some of the gerber daisies back in, and ended with this.....

Only a designer could obsess so much over a few stinkin' flowers!!!

OK, enough about that corner..... 
on to the sofa!!!!!!! 
I needed to find some toss pillows for the little loveseat in my study.
This was a few years ago, before I had reacquainted myself with my sewing machine.
So I was poking around in one of my more exclusive boutiques.
(Home Goods)
and came across these two pillows.
I brought them home, not knowing where they would end up.....

This is one of the exciting aspects of trying stuff in different places, without having too specific an idea of where it's going. 
Wonderful color combinations happen, that a more carefully planned-out space doesn't experience.
(That is, if a space is capable of experiencing something.)  
For this reason, designer's own homes often are quirkier and have more depth than their clients.
(Not my clients, all their homes are fabulous and very interesting!
We give ourselves the extra time and trial needed to create something unusual.
Clients don't want to wait 30 gazillion years for the perfect toss pillow.
so unreasonable!!!!!!!
I never would have thought of bringing that much red into the space, but look how the crimson flowers pick up the touches of red in the sofa pattern, AND how they relate to the tropical birds hung above.

So much more interesting than just more blue and green.....
So then I added that little bit of red in the chair pillow.
AND THEN I MADE THE ROUND PILLOW.....

I had this silk souvenir scarf, that wasn't doin' nothin' anyhow, nowhere.
So I lined it with a lining fabric, and finished the edges with an X stitch.
then trimmed the lining to the shape of the scarf.

I gathered my pillow elements to see how I would work the @#$ thing out......

I wanted a contrast flange around the outside, so I made it out of some leftover fabric that had an off-white stripe....

Cut out the green for the front, back and sides.....

Sewed on the buttons.....

Sewed button holes into the corners of the scarf.....

and buttoned the scarf onto the pillow.....
Now, I think I am one smokin' smart desecrator!!!!!!

To the right of the sofa stands a little table that is 
really unusual!!!!

I have left it in it's dark finish, although when I bought it, I had envisioned painting it.....
It is all broken and weird....
I LOVE IT!!!
The bird on the right has lost its head.....
That's OK, I know what that feels like!!!!
When I carried it out of the junk store crowing in glee about my terrific find, I got really weird looks from people, wondering why I wanted a broken piece of @#$!!!
HEY!!!
The broken part faces the wall,
I even forgot it was broken, until I was writing this post!!!!!!
(I lurve it)
 Talk about the perfect table for my bird room!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted this late today, because I was helping my buddy Lissette with her living room.
So if I can get my @$$ in gear tomorrow and sew her pottery barn sheer curtains together, and sew them on the rings, and take pictures, I will have 
even more stuff
to share with you guys.
Till then.....
Later, Gator
Photobucket

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your sofa and your new pillows. Love your bird table. My post today is showing my little parrot figurine that looks a little like yours. I guess we could introduce our two birdies! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

I LOVE this room and I LOVE that table! What a great place to just sit and chill with a Margarita :) and a good book. I love your style. Hope your week is a good one!
Maura :)

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Attaching the hankie to the pillow with buttons is very clever. I might have to borrow that idea.

Nita Stacy said...

That table is crazy good!

Jeannine520 said...

Prove it! :-)

Vick said...

You are so right about the red! It really works, pulls out all the notes of red that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I love your comment about whether a space can experience anything. ha!

Sandy said...

You are soooo funny! I just love your sense of humor and your decorating style. You can show me a 1,000 more photos of your study and I would be happy as a clam. Love your adorable round pillow with the buttons and vintage hankie...that is very clever. I've never seen a bird table like yours...so unique and it fits right in with your decor. I love touches of red...you can't go wrong adding that delicious color. I think you should be on HGTV with your own show! You would be a hoot to watch and I think you would blow their other designers out of the water. Have a lovely day!

Bonnie Schulte said...

You never cease to amaze..not only me, but everybody else too..and as Sandy, above said, I could look at pictures of your study all the time, so when you find yet another treasure for this room, (and you probably will, grin) I'll be waiting to see and smile...

thistlewoodfarm said...

I love the round pillow! What fun. It looks amazing. I love all your colors.

blessings,
karianne

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...