Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cottage Living Room, Complete Reveal.....


Okay Dokay.....
Let's continue to peruse the rest of my Massachusetts living room.....
When I bought the condo, this wall looked like.....
Great!!!
(NOT)
The builder put a soffit over the fireplace, so as to provide a place to install   
recessed lighting.
The idea was good, the reality was #$%.
Instead of allowing the shape of the ceiling peak to stand out.....
He (I'm assuming it was a "He") truncated the shape, and made what could have been an impressive wall look like a short little poop.
SOOOOO.....
when I bought the condo and started renovation, I had the guys.....
rip the sucker out!!!!
I used the fake beams to supply a surface to mount the down lights. 
Since the beams were fake, I was able to recess the electrical boxes into the wood.
After the walls were clad in V-groove paneling, I designed a new fireplace surround that was a better scale for the wall.
Here's a picture of the window side of the room....
And here's a picture that shows how the fireplace relates to the sofa.....


This was to get you guys all revved up, to see all my details in tomorrows post.
Well, not all the details, I have a gazillion detail shots, so I will spread them out over a few days.
But before I go, to make the room complete, here's the shot I showed you on Tuesday.... of the last wall.....


So, I know this was a short post,
 but VERIZON sucked all the life out of me today.
 Last week I worked on getting my parents hooked up, 
with all the ins and outs of converting three things (triple play) over to a different internet company.
 And THIS WEEK I'm working on my house. 
It is VERY frustrating,
 but I hope will be worth it in the end. 
And I'm saving a #$% load of money......
Sooooooo.....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
it's OVerflowing{nifty button}mop it up mondaysyou are talking too much
Sunday's Best Buttonits so very cheriUndertheTableandDreamingDIY Show OffButton copy
Boogieboard Cottage 
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Organize and Decorate EverythingNo Minimalist HereFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

31 comments:

from me to thee......... said...

awesome, beautiful, LOVE it !!!!!!!!, you have the touch !!!! can't wait to see more!

Salmagundi said...

My heart skips a beat (in a good way) when I see you have a new post up. You never disappoint with impeccable taste! Sally

Anonymous said...

This room is so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Pamela
Ohio

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I LOVE everything about this room!! Beautiful!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I just need you to move out so I can move in!

Sharon Rexroad's Bringing Creativity 2 Life said...

Gotta love any room with a tuffett!

AndeM1 said...

love it.....now I need to hear the details about that coffee table/ottoman...which is it?
Andrea

Gerry said...

Love your tole trays!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh it is stunning. I absolutely love it all. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

wow! it's amazing what a difference removing that soffit made. The room looks terrific!
David

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You certainly transformed that room into a magnificent showpiece...I love how you always start "with the bones"...adding architectural elements...Without that, it's just a room...love everything...and especially the bookcase...the colors are terrific...Your use of symmetry is impeccable!

Victorian1885 said...

What a beautiful room!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Gorgeous room! I absolutely LOVE it! Did you have to take the walls down to the studs to install the v-groove, or did that just go right over the drywall? I love that look!!

Great job :)

nancy said...

Betsy, you are a HOOT! I too am a cabbage rose kind of gal. As a matter of fact, I think you are living in what should be my place in Mass. Either that or we are twins born 25-30 years apart...I'm the elder. (really enjoy both your blog & your style). N

Brenda Pruitt said...

Adore this room!
Brenda

Bonnie Schulte said...

This room is so pretty. The rug is great, as are the roses.

Unknown said...

Such a pretty room, love the floral touches!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Love your style, Betsey!
Your slip covers are so pretty and love all the extra little details.

Gorgeous.
Hope you are recovering nicely.
xox
Alison

Carolyn said...

I feel like I just viewed a showcase home from a magazine!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

The room looks just gorgeous! So pretty and cottagey. Love the bead board on the fire place wall too.

Debbie

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Betsy,, I love your cabbage roses and cows combination. That room looks so cozy and comfortable, like you just want to grab a book and relax there. Thanks for showing your beautiful room at Your Cozy Home Party. Your attention to details shows in those gorgeous chairs. The scalloped edge of the slipcovers is a nice touch that most people probably wouldn't think to do. Did I say I love this room? --------------- Shannon

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I have this very same issue with the fireplace in our Galena getaway home. Did we have the same builder? So far ours still looks the same. :(( but I am inspired by you. Love the look. Thanks for sharing this week on BeColorful.
p

Roeshel said...

Betsy, I love your style - everything you do is an inspiration. This room is gorgeous!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Love, love, love this room.....the paneling is a great look! And I love the little slipcover on the coffee table!
Blessings, Lorraine

Youaretalkingtoomuch.com said...

Precious! You were featured today! Meet Me Monday party is just getting started. Would love to have you! Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Just beautiful! Come visit sometime. I have a den somewhat similar. I'm your newest follower :)

Anonymous said...

I love this room but most of all, I love all your cow pictures. WOW!

Unknown said...

LOVE this!! I just want to curl up in this room and read a book, and to me, that's the sign of a well-decorated living room! Good job!

Free Art Printables said...

It looks fantastic! I love the walls!

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

What a huge difference! love the use of plates on the side of the mirror over the fireplace...very different from the typical plain mirror (which i am guilty of having over my fireplace, lol!)

We are running a Before and After Link party to support Habitat for Humanity, with a chance to be featured on other big blogs and win gift cards. Would love if you entered! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/2012-before-after-series/

Keeping It Cozy said...

This is so beautiful! Every detail is perfection.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...