Friday, February 22, 2013

My Bangin' Closet Light!!!!

I know I keep saying I'm going to continue with my friend Connie's house.....
but....
things keep on happening....
exciting things.....
mind blowing things!!!!!!!
I got  a new light for my guest room closet!!!!!!!!!
Now......
SOME of you may feel that I have no life.....
SOME of you may feel I need to get out more.....
but.....
you don't know what you're talkin' about!!!!!

This closet used to be for my guest's clothes and linens.
but.....
since I discourage having company.....
and felt assigning such a lot of space 
to such an insignificant amount of time
didn't make no sense!!!!!
Sooooo.....
I changed the purpose of this little walk in closet to my housing my sewing stuff....
my fabrics....
my threads.....
my stuff...................
Only problem was....
the light wasn't working so good....
actually, most of the time it wasn't working at all.....
It was fluorescent, 
and if it went on at all, it only flickered in a feeble attempt at lighting.
This is my Flerida guest room, for those of you new to my blog.....
(I still need to cover the little footstool)
Off the guest room is its companion bath....
Soooooo.......
I wanted to find a hanging light that would give off enough illumination, 
have a vintage feel,
and work with the design elements in both rooms.
Sooooooo......
of course I went shopping at my favorite international high class boutique!!!!!
ebay!!!!!
I started looking last year.....
I am running out of things to do on this house, so was not in too big a rush to solve this problem.
BUTTTTT.......
I did need light in this closet.
Last winter, I had gotten tired of my cutting table always being in the way in the guest room.
(I kept it at the end of the bed)
(not a great look)
(no it wasn't)
Soooooo.....
I rearranged the guestroom closet, and was able to store it there.
I had 
no idea....
that it would fit in this closet.
I never thought to measure it.
I couldn't for the life of me figure out where to stick the damn thing.
It's embarrassing to think that I'm a professional space planner.
Luckily, no one knows I had this problem.....
Just you guys........
No one sees anything posted on the internet anyway.....
right??????? 
I eliminated hanging space in this closet and added lots more shelves!!!!
I went to home depot and had the nice guy there cut me several more.
Making sure that they were not too tight!!!!!
WHAT IS IT WITH THE SHELVES ALWAYS BEING SO CLOSE TO THE WIDTH THAT YOU CAN'T GET THEM IN OR OUT WITHOUT BANGING ON THEM WITH A HAMMER?????
AND THEN YOU END UP CHIPPING THE DAMN THINGS!!!!!
Soooooo.....
I was the one to measure....
and I was the one to install them.....
and I am very smart and good at this kind of stuff!!!!!!
Since I got rid of the hanging space for my guests.....
I added some hooks on the back of the door that can hold a couple of hangers.

My guests shouldn't need any more storage space than this 
because.....
they can't stay more than two nights!!!!!

Since I was organizing the closet.....
I went to Walmart to look for storage stuff.....
AND FOUND THIS GREAT THREAD CADDY!!!!!
So I sat it on a shelf next to some little drawers that hold my needles and button and other goodies....
I have a weakness for fabric covered boxes.
Home Goods sells these on occasion, and I have more than I know what to do with.
the striped one is my sewing box that I bought from Joannes.
The fabrics clash.....
but only you guys will see this.......................
On the other side of the closet, I created a space for my bolts of fabric.
This is where I keep my lining fabric and left over runs from my projects.
I ALWAYS over estimate what I need.
always!!!!!
 Look at how organized I am!!!!!

But this is not what I set out to show you guys!!!!!
I wanted to show the new light I just installed!!!!!
Soooooo.....
this is what I had......
and this is what I replaced it with......
Ok, Ok, 
that doesn't look like much....
Here's a close up.....
A little 1940's flavor with a tropical feel!!!!!


It took me a year to find this!!!!!
I really milked this for it's entertainment value.
I found one in pink, 
loved the shape and leaves,
but the color didn't work in my scheme....
So kept looking, knowing that these were mass produced,
and there had to be 
one
out there that was clear!!!!!
So now we have to spackle the holes in the ceiling.
I need to figure out what I want to do to the walls.
I would like to wallpaper them like I did in my master bedroom closets,
remember????
I'm running out of rooms to play with, 
HELP!!!!!
Later, Gator
Photobucket

11 comments:

bmayer said...

Gee. In a gesture of pure generosity, I would love to "allow" you to come play/decorate/advise some/any/all of my rooms in my house (Jupiter, Fleurida)
I'm just that kind girl. Love, love love your tropical style. I suppose I should tell you I have next to no budget, but if you're willing to boss me around and show me the way I am a totally willing Guinea pig. I wouldnt want you to have nothin' to do while your here in the tropics. I'm serious. ps. I can sew up a storm (former Home Ec. and Art teacher) and have quite a fabric stash.

Lee said...

I would volunteer my home but it seems I am second to think of it...and I live in the cold north. Oh, well, I'm sure your friends will give you projects to work on, those lucky devils!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I spent the day arranging and rearranging my mantle, so I cannot say a word about whether you need a life or to get out more! I know I do.

your bedroom closet is prettier than any room in my house. truly lovely with the wallpaper. and, I'm loving how functional your guest room closet is getting. Can't wait to see more so I can stop rearranging my mantle.

Jan said...

I love your sewing closet! How funny...guests can only stay 2 nights! Oh yeah...the light looks perfect...glad you finally found it!

Anonymous said...

Wish known you were looking for such a light fixture. 12 years ago I moved into our home that had 1950's carpet, blinds and light fixtures. The bedroom had a light fixture exactly like yours that I replaced with a chandelier and gave it to the local thrift shop. Darn! The kitchen is still in the 50's style with the scalloped wooden lambrequins over the windows. Love your seamstress closet. How nice to have your own space for such things. Love your style!

Anonymous said...

Running out of room? Honey, you can come play with my whole house! --Huge screened porch included. I'll just stay in your closet while you're playing.
jane price
East Texas

Penny said...

Glad you made it back to Fleurida. After a week in NC I am appreciating our warm weather. I'm loving your blog - you've given my lots of great ideas and for that I thank you. We live here in the Winter and the NC mountains on Lake Lure in the Spring and Summer. Your lake cabin inspired the design of that cottage.

bmayer said...

Obviously I wasn't an English teacher. I should have said "while YOU'RE (not YOUR) here (Fl)in the tropics", in the first comment. As an added bonus/enticement/bribe I also have a butt-ugly cabin (with a killer view) on the top of a mountain in North Carolina you could vacation/play in. Got any of those black bears left-over? Just think of it...I could provide you with dozens upon dozens of blog posts from two states.
Bernie

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Now that's one impressive, well organized, and well lit closet. Congrats on finding just the right fixture. I struggle with the darkness in my garage closets. Maybe they need something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I liked the way you decorate your stuff, Betsy. It’s impressive! Well, with regards to your bath, I suggest that you replace your light with bulbs and replace the color of your bathroom wall with a brown shade. It can create a cozy ambiance and vintage vibe.

Darryl Margulies

home interior decoration said...

Choosing the right bathroom furniture can provide you with years of satisfaction and enjoyment. Its real fact so that we have to make good choice which can get unlimited appreciation from others.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...