Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Adding an Upholstered Top to a Hard Bench

Well you guys....
Let's continue with my niece Miriam's new bench.

When we last left off.....
I had stripped off the padding and painted it and got it ready for it's new cushy top.

Soooooooo.......
what follows is a tutorial on how to add an upholstered top to something that's 
not supposed to have one!!!!!!
Or, I guess you could just say, 
that it wasn't originally designed to have one.
Sooooooooo.......
this is what I done did.
First I cut 2" medium density foam to the size of the top.
The full size, including the shaped edge.
To cut foam, I use my special supper duper foam cutter.....
 It's an electric knife made by Hamilton Beach that was the cheapest  best priced one at Bed Bath and Beyond.
I then used spray adhesive to attach the foam to the bench top.
Then I cut a piece of Dacron to the same size as the foam....
Adding this extra piece of padding helps create a nice rounded crown on the seat.
I used more spray adhesive to adhere it to the foam.
Then I applied a Dacron cover......
And started stapling it to the sides of the top.
I use a small compressor and a staple gun.
If you plan on doing more than one piece of upholstery,
it's really important to get a compressor.
They are only around 100 bucks, and well worth the expense.
I love my compressor!!!!!
It's my buddy!!!!!
First set a staple in the middle of each side.....
 I stapled it to the very edge.....
 Then working from the center out, staple along the edge of the top, smoothing and gently putting the Dacron into place.
Then, trim off the excess.
Since I was going to be making a slipcover, 
I just covered the bench in a plain lining fabric.
I keep a bolt of it in my closet.
My closet has lots of goodies.
(but no dead bodies.......)
 At this point, I thought I could cover the top while it was still attached to the bench.
That's because I am an idiot.....
So, once I realized that that wasn't going to work so great........
I took the top off the hinges, and whadayaknow!!!!!
It worked much gooder!!!!!
 I stapled the fabric to the underside of the top.
Starting in the middle of each side, I set a staple.
Then working from the middle out, I smoothed and pulled the fabric to the outside corners, stapling 
as I went.....
 When I came to the corners, I tucked the fabric under, like a package.
 Then I trimmed off the excess, and cut away from where the hinges would screw back in.
Then I covered the bottom in cambric.
I keep a roll of it in my closet, along with my other goodies.....
 Then I trimmed the cambric and reattached the top to the bottom.
Now it looks like a real upholstered bench!!!!!
And when it's open, it doesn't look tooooo bad, but then I don't plan on opening it, 'cuz it's Miriam's.....

So, here's the shot of it before and the picture of it up to this point.
Next post I'll show you how to do the slipcover.
So that's it for tonight.....
Later, Gator
Photobucket
Partying at:
Furniture Feature Fridaysgood oneMod Vintage LifePhotobucketHome Stories A to Z

14 comments:

sewbetsy said...

Betsy ! Great Job ! Thanks for the tutorial- one quick question the dark fabric that you used inside to cover the underside is there any special reason you used it as opposed to a decorative fabric or even just plain lining fabric ?

the other Betsy

The Other Me Is Sane said...

I see now I've been stapling it wrong. thanks for the tutorial.

Katherine Wolak said...

Ohhhh wow. You did a fabulous job on this, I mean, wow! I love the colours, even without the slip it looks fab!

Hugs,

MONICA GALE said...

Your post is soo timely. I plan on making an upholstered ottoman out of a grotty looking table so I am glad to learn from a pro how to. Thank you for sharing, hugs xx

Still Woods Farmhouse said...

Happy Valentine's Day! you did a great job on the bench. I am about to tackle a chair, but recently broke my wrist so am spending time reading about techniques. I am sharing vintage Valentine's Day cards today. Stop by for a visit!
Many blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

Nutbird said...

What room are you working in? I thought your workroom was in the basement. How about a close-up on the three or four paneled memo board on the wall. I forgot that I know how to make those. That huge size might be good for my sewing room. I like your technique of three different colors. I might try that. Thanks, Ann

KatieQ said...

Thanks for the very clearly written and illustrated tutorial. I love the little black and rainbow half square triangle quilt.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Betsy, I read your upholstery and slipcover posts like a textbook! They are wonderful. Thanks so much for showing us how! I am in the middle of reupholstering 8 Etan Allen 18th century dinning room chairs. I am really over my head!
This helps so much!
Thanks!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Looking great. Such a pretty stool I can't wait to see it finished. :)
Cindy

Mir said...

In case your niece hasn't made it clear, she knows how lucky she is to have your help :-D

Helen's Decor said...

Betsy, that bench is more lovely than ever. Looks fabulous! Just found you on Funky Junk's blog hop. Helen

Mel said...

Thank you for this! my piano bench isn't nearly as gorgeous as my piano, and my daughter claims that it's uncomfortable to sit on when she practices. I think she's going to have to find a new excuse now!

Amos said...

This is cool!

Foam-By-Mail said...

That electric turkey knife may garner a few chuckles when you tell people how you cut your foam, but in reality, that is THE best way to cut foam at home. Clean lines, minimal compression, and very easy. Great job!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...