Saturday, February 2, 2013

Beach Side Cottage

Let's continue with Chris and Connie's Florida ocean side home.....
Traditional Home March 2007
As I told you last time, this is a job I took over from another designer,
sooooooo.....
I am going to toot my own horn, and show you guys 
what I fixed to make this room (in my opinion) work.
To the right of the sofa, is a window with a nice low sill.
I like windows with low sills, it allows for a good line of sight,
 if you live in a place where you actually want to see outside!!!!!
The previous designer (from here on called: TPD
had ordered a chest to go in front to the window.
Now, that wouldn't have been a problem......
except it was taller than the window sill!!!!!
I don't mind if a piece of furniture sticks up in front of a window, if it's not solid.
Like: tables, chairs, tables, chairs, tables chairs, etc......
But not something solid!!!!!
If you can see through it a little, then I feel it's OK.
This is not a hard and fast rule.
It's just one of 
my rules!!!!!
Soooooo.....
The piece had to be returned, and we placed a table to the right of the sofa....
with a lamp.....
right next to the sofa.....
where it made sense!!!!!
This way there was room for the game table in front of the French doors.
I don't know how TPD did her floor plans.....
but she had some furniture chosen 
that just didn't fit.....
See over on the right?????
behind the lamp?????
That's the game table!!!!!
Here it is, straight on.....
The table is from Maine Cottage Furniture.
I didn't like the finish it was ordered in.....
So I had it repainted in a crisp undistressed white.
Because the look is a little more contemporary than I usually do.....
I didn't want the paint distressed.

Here's the shot that was in Traditional Home.....
The chairs I got from Milling Road Furniture.
The whale I found with my bidness partner....Kris!!! at an auction.
We were really excited when we won the bid on this.
I had shown the picture to Connie, to make sure she was interested.
I think it's da bomb!!!!!!!

If you're looking for some ideas in adding visual layers to a room, 
you know,
it doesn't feel cozy enough,
you need more stuff,
you just don't know what......
Try something small yet practical next to a chair.
We found this basket, and I felt it would just be perfect here....
although we actually got it to put in Chris's room.....
But don't tell him that, 'cuz then he'll want it....
He's got enough good stuff up there.....

Connie's freaking me out because she may have found a house she wants to move to in Vermont.
Remember how I said I was lazy?????
She's my last client.....
I don't want to work no more, no more, no more...
Soooooo.....
Even though their current home is too large for them.....
I feel they should stay where they are, 
so I don't need to work 
NO MORE!!!!!
On that note.....
Later, Gator
Photobucket

7 comments:

Virginia said...

Hi Betsy,

I've learned so much from your blog and your Color and Pattern book. Will you ever be posting about the house with the yellow kitchen you decorated in Vermont?

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Gin

Divine Theatre said...

Chris sounds like a very selfish man. It will help build his character to tell him about the basket. Just do it.
I would never play games on that table because the whale is just so awesome. Whale games would be okay. Do you know any?

xo

Andie

Anonymous said...

Gosh this looks so much like the 'bones' of my living/family room. If you put a tv in here, where would you put it Betsy? (Yes I am trying to get some free advice!) I love the openness of this!

Leo said...

It came out beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Betsy! I can't believe it! I clicked on a link that I think was on Graphics Fairy and it brought me to your blog!!!!! It's so good to see you and your beautiful work ... you'd better not post many more blogs if you don't want to work no more no more no more!!! ... Clients will be rolling in! (I am a neighbor of Betsy's and can tell you she is an AMAZING designer!)

Bren said...

Love it! Very cozy, but spaciouse feel to it. :)

Alonzo said...

This is cool!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...