Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Funky Painted Table

OK Kampers!!!!!
This is the dealio!!!!!
I am going back down to Flerida on Thursday for two weeks,
(unless I need to rush back up again.....)
So.....
I am going to hold off on showing more of Connie's beach house until I'm sitting in my air conditioned home down where it be hotter!!!!!
My dad's doing great, but for this year, I am going to stay closer to him
(and my mom)
up here in the big old north.
but!!!!!
I'm taking a little tropical vacation to help me handle all this #$% snow.....
Sooooooo.......
Today I'm going to show off something else I made for my niece Miriam's living room.
I found this little metal table for her on ebay.



And convinced her to buy it, telling her I could paint it up and make it look
 cute!!!!!
Well.....
Miriam has wanted to add lots of different colors to her new living room.
I have been stuck in blue, white, cream and brown.
We found this pretty fabric for toss pillows, that would add some more color......
The blue background is the color I chose for them for their walls.
The sofa and chair slip covers are going to be off white.
You guys know what the bench looks like.....
Soooooo.......
Miriam wanted me to bring some more coral into the mix.
WELLLLL.....
She now be married.....
She can't go throwing a lot of pink and frills around the house.
I know I was pushing it with her hubby, Ross, by adding the pleats to the piano bench.....
But I love my niece.....
(don't tell her I said that though.....)
So I tried to do this table in Scandinavian Pink chalk paint.
This is how it looked with one coat......
OY OY OY OY OY
It hurts my eyes even to look at it..... 
Soooooo.....
I calmly reminded myself that I had gotten out of
 worse design situations like 
this!!!!!
So, I did what any self respecting chalk painter would do.....
I grabbed the Old White!!!!!
and painted over some of the pink....
I started breathing a little easier.....
I really didn't feel like repainting the inside of the magazine holders,
but it was
ugly...
After one coat, I realized I wasn't out of the woods, and it would need at least 1 more coat to cover the pink....
I had mixed up some green a while ago, and still had it kicking around, so I pulled that out and attacked the book holder rack.
I started liking where I was headed!!!!!
Then I got out my little brush and cleaned up all the overlapping paint.
I wanted clean lines where the colors met.
Then I waxed it with clear wax.
I thought about using some dark wax, but decided I liked the crisp freshness of this little table.
Here it is up out of my dungeon work room.....




When a project is going down the tubes.....
just take a deep breath and realize that this happens to 
everyone!!!!
I love the way it turned out.
I just hope it isn't too girly for Ross, 
'cuz
I'm not redoing it!!!!!
Here are side by sides of before and after!!!!
 I think I am da bomb!!!!!
Later, Gator
Photobucket

12 comments:

bmayer said...

Hmmm...looks great, but somewhat unfinished....., I would love to see some 1" stripes ( or a checkerboard?)painted on the bottom white part. Yeah, yeah...I should leave the designing to you.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So cute, love all the curves. I never have enough magazine storage!
:)
Cindy

Anonymous said...

You done good. Just the right amont of pazzaz because that table IS pazzaz, the way its constructed it called out for just what you did. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Might this have fit in to the room 'as is'? I'm really more of a spray painter when it comes to metal pieces. Maybe a soft blue in satin finish?
Maybe that'd be too much blue for your color scheme.

At any rate, it'll be pretty swell cuz you've got your hands on it :-)

foreverdecorating said...

Love it! Mistakes can be really good.

Anonymous said...

What a change!!! Well done. But you knew that already...LOL

sweet violets said...

Now, this turned out really cute!!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Betsy, that is adorable. Cutest thing ever!

I wish my mistakes would turn out that cute. You give me hope. If you hadn't told us what you did, I would think you headed there from the start. GREAT JOB! I wish I were you niece!

XO,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Magic! Love it so......you inspire. Bobbie

Unknown said...

It's not too girly for me, but thanks for the consideration!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

What an interesting table! In the first pic I thought it was upside down! LOL It came out very cottagey cute!

The White Pear Tree said...

Well, there you go. You got the nephew-in-law's approval, you're off to the races. I like doing small detailed tables in different colours like you did, it really enhances the lines. It was nothing but a metal mess before, but now she's pretty. It is an interesting table and very handy for different storage. Love it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...