Thursday, August 30, 2012

Next Up!!!!! My Armoire!!!!!

Let us continue the exciting exploration of my master bedroom.....
Here is my armoire.
I fell in love with this piece while I was still living in Watertown.
I would look at it in the antique store I visited,
 lust dripping from my eyes.....
But, woe was me.....
I had
no place to put it!!!!!
And then I moved.
AND THEN I HAD A PLACE TO PUT IT!!!!!
Life is funny that way.....
 When I first got it,
 it didn't have a curtain behind the glass door
I lived with it like this,
for a while,
didn't like the way it looked,
ignored it.
and ignored it.
and ignored it.
etc.
etc.
etc, 
I could lie, and say that I installed the gathered sheer curtain within the first year I had it.
Or the second year.....
Or third....
Or fourth.....
 But that would be a bad thing to do, 
I try not to lie.
soooooooo.......
I will admit, that I just made this curtain a couple of weeks ago.
Which is 8 years after I bought the armoire........
I figured it would take 1/2 an hour to make the curtain.
HA!!!!!
First I made it too short.....
Then I made it too long.....
So I crammed the extra fabric down behind the bottom rod, and figured,
 it would stay that way.
IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!!!!!!
This is the great part of not having a client!!!!!
I can sort of tweak my mistakes, and live with the imperfection!!!!!
This piece is another example of my love of 1920's style furniture that has a Louis XVI flavor.
 There's just something about the details that sucks me in and won't let me goooooooo.......

Of course, since there is a top to an armoire.....
That creates a whole nother surface to place things
 of an unnecessary nature!!!!!
I found the Nantucket basket knock off at the Christmas Tree Shop.....
and flanked it with my carved wooden poodle candlesticks.....
 I'd like to say that these were a bargain too.....
But I paid a king's ransom for them when I bought them from 
John Rosselli's in Manhattan.
Because of their cost, 
I have allowed a really good protective covering of dust to accumulate.....
 To the right of all this prettiness, is the most important thing up there.....
I picked this up from the Christmas Tree Shop at the same time I bought the basket.
Since my ceiling in my bedroom is too low to have a ceiling fan.....
And ceiling fans are great for holding hot flashes at bay.....
I turn this baby on at night to create a soft cooling breeze.
Now that I look at this picture, I see this guy needs to be dusted also....
OY OY OY OY OY!!!!!
That's it for my armoire.
 ONE LAST NOTE!!!!!
I realized that my humor may be toooooooo subtle for some of you guys.
You may have missed one of my best quips!!!!!
In my last post I made a reference to 
Eau De Ban 
as my perfume of choice.
That was a joke you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was referring to Ban deodorant !!!!!

On that note.....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

10 comments:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Love the armoire, love the poodles, and I DID get the Ban joke originally, so at least one of us out here is following your humour!

The White Pear Tree said...

...Because of their cost, I have allowed a really good protective covering of dust to accumulate.....

Can I borrow that line, a good protective covering of dust? That would be my excuse. Even for the cheap stuff.

I love that armoire, love the urns on it, the glass, etc. It's awesome!

fixitfaerie said...

I got the joke too. lol I love this armoire, it is so European. Dust and I are best friends! And fans, are always a dusty little secret of ladies of a certain age.
Love your decorating, blog and sense of humor. au revoir Paula

Unknown said...

Love your armoire!!! The curtain is lovely, but it looked great before too :) I think this new look is stunning!

Hugs,

Tartan Terrace said...

I like your curtain but I also liked it before you put up the curtain. That way you didn't have to open the door to watch tv. Just sayin'

Rosemary Q said...

The armoire is just as fab as everything else in your room! I too have a fan except mine is a little more industrial. It's like a hurricane blowing in my room every night. Ear plugs and a sleep mask help block out some of the noise and keep my eyeballs in my head.

Amy Chalmers said...

What a beautiful armoire~love hearing the stories of where your treasures came from. Speaking of beautiful cabinets I am so excited to see the cabinet you gave my hubby and Colin for the Boston store yesterday!! I am going in this morning...and the guys were raving about your house being all magazine perfect. Hubs said, and I quote " its just beautiful decor"! he loved the entrance, the stone floor...remember that was the part I said I didn't like? So funny. Anyway thanks again to you and Kris for letting me use the monster cab in the shop, its awesome!

Eliza said...

Love the armoire. I have a somewhat similar piece in my bedroom, though mine is dark wood and was really intended as a china cabinet.

Can I ask what type of rod you used for the curtain? Was it just a tension rod, or something more elaborate?

I bought my cabinet intending to add a curtain. Some twelve years later my clothes are still still visible. I only wish it took me eight years to get things done around here!

therelishedroost said...

What a lovely armoire, I think the details are great!!!

Anonymous said...

That is one beeeuttiful armoire!! huge, beautiful armoire, never fit in my house :-(. I was in heaven when I saw your poodles, until you said how costly they are. See, I have 3 standard poodles in my little 1960s ranch. So hard to find statuary for some reason.
Janet

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...