Saturday, August 25, 2012

More Cottage Bedroom Details!!!!!

OKAY CAMPERS!!!!!
I was going to show my dining table with the hemp oil application, 
but decided I better do another post on my bedroom,
 as I am very scared of what may happen if I keep telling you I'll do it,
 and then I don't.....
You will call me a liar......
You will think I'm not dependable.....
You will realize that I am retired and only want to do what I want to do when I want to do it....

Soooooooo.....
In order to make you think I'm reliable, dependable, and a woman of my word.....
TODAY I CONTINUE SHOWING MY BEDROOM!!!!!
OH BOY!!!!
ON TO THE LEFT SIDE OF MY BED!!!
Which is on the other side of my bed from the right side.
Depending on if you're looking at the bed from the foot.....
OR LYING IN THE BED ON YOUR BACK!!!!
You better not be lying in the bed.....
IT'S MY BED!!!!
OY!!!!
OK, where was I?????
Oh yeah, showing you pictures.
This is my bedroom.....
This is the left side of my bed.
 Another shot of the left side!!!!!
A closer shot!!!
Lets start with my chair.
It's a bergere, which is a French style closed arm club chair with a partially exposed wooden frame.
This one is a Louis XVI style.
It used to be covered in a green brocade fabric when I lived in Watertown.
This is how it used to look....
But moving to my condo, some things had to be reinvented.
I found this wonderful fabric from Scalamandre.
I had planned on using it on a client's job, but of course, that never happened.
So, the sample was just sitting around in my office,
waiting to be noticed,
whispering.....
"Pick me!! Pick me!! Pick me!!"
It was sorta jumping up and down, waving from the corner.....

I think it looks like white lace, overlaid on blue cotton.
Fabric placement is very important when laying out the pattern for a piece of upholstery.
Notice how I used the different parts of the pattern to create a variety of effects.
I had my buddies at Drape It reupholster this for me, but I spent some time with them, plotting out the fabric placement.
Tufting can do some really neat things to a fabric's pattern,
 creating a new pattern by folding the fabric back onto itself.
OKAY...
enough about the chair.
Oh, wait!!!!!
I've had several people ask about how I got my cushions to be so poofy.
FEATHERS!!!!!
This chair and the two in my study have cushions filled with a mixture of down and feather.
OKAY....
Now enough about the chair.
back to the table on the left, (if you're standing, that is...)
Staying true to my aesthetic, and laziness.....
I have fake flowers on this table TOO.....
housed in ANOTHER tarnished silver plate vase.
Jeesh.... 
I found this German piece of china 30 years ago.
I think it's from the 20's.
But then what do I know?????
BUT I LOVE HIM
 (or her, I never checked, it would be rude.)
Here's the picture of my Dad, I told you about.
He's 97.
This picture was taken last year!!!!!
Here's a picture of my three oldest siblings.
This was taken before I was born.
My mother had time to dress them up in cowboy outfits.
This was before she had five children...
All three of these cowboys are going to be living near me!!!!
In two weeks my younger brother (the little guy in the front) is going to come to the Boston area.
He's going to live here for 9 months!!!!!
He's taking a sabbatical.
The other two desperadoes already live here.
With my parents next door.....
It's
A LOT OF SPEERTS!!!!! 
The only one missing is my sister Ellen.
She ran away to California......

While we're looking at family pics....
HERE I AM AS A BABY!!!!

Once again....
my mouth is open.....
probably looking for my foot.....

Above the night table is one of a pair of hand colored bird prints.
 Here's it's mate, on the right....
It's a great place to hang some of my justly earned awards from my long ago youth.
I was captain of the riding team in college.....
How sad that I've held onto this ribbon for so long, but I like the way it looks hooked on the frame.
To really show my level of maturity!!!!!
I have kept my BEST DANCER award from dancing school from when I was in 
8th grade!!!!!
How could I great rid of something this dorky??????
Above my headboard is a pair of sconce lights.
I like having supplemental lighting over a bed for those of us with weakening old rheumy eyes....
(oy, oy, oy)
Of course I spent money on  the lampshades.....
they have a beautiful smocked detail.
The mirrored backplate detail I've repeated around the room, and will be showing the other items sooooooon.

SOOOOOO......
Another long post from me me me.....
that's it for today.....

Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

20 comments:

Connie said...

The blue chair fabric is so pretty..looks like a cozy spot.

I love the old family pictures. No one would ever believe your dad was that age. He looks great. Tell him I said so.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you've been hiding from us more of your wonderfulness! Now the left side of the bed is where I sleep! :) Love all your pretties on your night stand, the pictures of your family and tiny little you! ;) The dog figurine is darling and love her (I can tell) blue eyes! :)
Everything is looking so pretty.
Now you've fibbed about your Daddy, haven't you?
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

You have the most beautiful bedroom!

Wow, I hope I look that good when I'm your dad's age! And you can tell him I said that as well!!

Patty said...

Beautiful bedroom. The chair is so pretty. Your style is so appealing because you stick with florals and marble rather than "griege" and granite. Love everything you do. Thanks for mentioning the feathers and down for the cushions.

Laura said...

oh, Betsy . . . everything you touch turns to gold . . . and I love that you shared your family history . . . it implies a certain trust . . . although I suspect you're lyin' about your Dad's photo . . . and isn't it hilarious that your college name is 'Monmouth'? . . . seriously? You could 'talk the hind leg off a mule' . . . love you!

Rosemary Q said...

I want that chair! I love it. I have the Scalamandre coffee table book and drool over their designs and fabric. That chair is to die for and so is your bedroom. So pretty.

laney said...

...it is just perfect perfect perfect...as was that little foot stool in the other post...as is everything...blessings laney

laney said...

...it is just perfect perfect perfect...as was that little foot stool in the other post...as is everything...blessings laney

Amy Chalmers said...

I LOVE that chair!! Its the prettiest chair Betsy~ I am enjoying you pointing out the details. And I think its adorable to have your old ribbons...my gosh Dancing Award and Riding?? You are amazing!!

20 North Ora said...

Your bedroom is beautiful!! I LOVE your chair. They really did an outstanding job of upholstery. I always love old photos - they remind us of the things we so took for granted.

Judy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

All I can say is that the room is stunning!!...Love everything about it...The chair is so well done...you must have a magnificent upholsterer...the room is so very romantic with that sentimental feel and the sentiments of your ribbons are perfect....

Sandy said...

I have a blue toile bedroom. I wish it was as beautiful as yours. I want everything in your room. Well, you can keep your family photos but I want everything else! You are so talented. You live the way most women only dream of living. Tell us how you got started as a designer/decorator. When I was in college (late 60s/early 70s) there were no courses for designers at least at the university I went to. Love this post.

CK SN said...

I'm not much for blue for myself, but I love this room! And hey, that pic of your dad is when he was much younger right? I'm thinking the pic was from around the late 1940's (?) Handsome feller! Do you get your good looks from him :-)

bmayer said...

Have loved your style for YEARS...We are close to the same age. I still have my "Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award" from High School graduation.(although not on display!) Never became a scientist though....a high school Art & Home Ec. teacher and Art Quilter and fabric designer. Its fun to learn about "past lives" of people whose talents you admire.

cheri said...

Beautiful bedroom! I've been to Monmouth, IL, a couple of times :)

Heather said...

So glad I've discovered your blog. Your bedroom is gorgeous.

Terri~terrileeauthor said...

You are the Queen of fabric. I love your choices. That darling blue chair is to die for.
Indeed it does look like a lace overlay. I think your awards from the past look sweet just where they are. Don't hide your light under a bushel...ha ha.
Thanks for sharing.

fixitfaerie said...

Okay, so yesterday I guess I sent u an email. And guess what I could only write 300 spaces!?!?! Anyways your homes are absolutely beautiful! I am in my 3rd home in 40 years (geez that sounds old) and your rooms have given me new inspiration. I've always been a pink and seafoam green person, but, now I have a ton (not really) of aqua toned fabrics to make drapes, pillows, reupholster chairs, slipcover chairs, etc. Plus I want to paint a bunch of furniture with ASCP! I'm tired thinking about it. Anyways, your blog has reinspired me to get off my a#$ and get busy. For now, I'm going to take a nap. Thanks for having a blog to share.
Paula

Anonymous said...

The chair on the left side looks scrumptious in that blue fabric

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Betsy, this is so beautiful! This is the kind of room one could live in/with forever. Love it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...