Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cottage Bedroom Details



Today we will continue
 the tour of my bedroom!!!!!
You guys are SOOOOOO lucky!!!!!
We left off with an overview of the room......
So let's start to the right of the bed, and work our way counter clockwise around the space!!!!!
To the right of my bed is my right night stand.
That's because if it were on the left, it wouldn't be the right.
HUNH????
By my table is the mate to the chair at my dressing table.
I like to have a chair in the corner of my bedroom.
I could pretend it's for sitting on......
But it's not!!!!!
It's for my clothes.....,
You know.....
Not really dirty, but not clean enough to hang or fold back up?????
In Flerida, I have a walk in closet, so I can hide my #$% there, but in Massachusetts I have 
no such luxury,
so I have to rough it with my little chair.....
I found the pair of Edwardian gallery tables in a local antique store
 and snapped them up.
 (galley table??)
 (I'm having a senior moment, and there's not one to ask!!!!)
(YIPPEE!!!!.....I remembered someone to call!!!!!)
It's galley table, like a ship's galley. 
I asked Steven at Brookline Village Antiques in the Boston Design 
Center. 
He knows EVERYTHING!!!!!
Then, we were trying to figure out why they're called that.
My guess is the brass edging around the top would keep things from sliding off the table in rough seas.....
If anyone knows the answer, leave a comment!!!!!
ANYWAY.....

I think they're beautiful.
I think they're elegant.
I think they're VERY grownup!!!!!


 Per my decorating style.....
I have a ton of @#$ on the tops.....
I have a soft spot in my heart for alabaster lamps.
They come in such pleasing shape.
Of course, I found this pair on ebay....
I had the lampshades custom made.
It's one of my necessary splurges.....
Some folks spend money on designer clothes,
I spend tons on custom lampshades.
Why spend money on what other people look at?????
I spend money on what I look at.
This way I just avoid mirrors.
It's better that way anyway, if I don't prepare myself.....
I always wonder who the old bat is looking back at me!!!!


 Of course I have fake flowers by my bed!!!!!
 And a picture of my Mom from when she was a little bit younger.....
(my Dad's on the other table)
(his picture, not him)
The frame is slowly crumbling away, but I love this frame, so I live with it.
It's covered in an old silk brocade fabric.

I don't remember where I found this box.
It's not even silver plate. 
Which is great 'cuz then I don't have to polish it....
Not that I polish my silver.....
but I THINK about polishing it!!!!!
I just looked on the bottom of the box, 
it was made in Japan.
That's all I can tell ya....
 HOWEVER!!!!!
This next box I inherited from my Great Aunt.
She was one truly elegant lady.
One time when I was in college and  I went to visit her in Manhattan, she informed me that I dressed like a peasant.
Clothes have never been at the top of my list of important considerations.
NOW....LAMPSHADES.....
 Her name's on the inside of the box, so I don't keep anything in it, so that 
I CAN SEE HER NAME!!!!
(I'm very sentimental for a peasant.....)
 I like to have plates on tables, I use them as coasters.
This is one of several I found in a flea market in Florida.
It's chipped!!!!!
That made it cheaper!!!!!
 It's some kind of stoneware or creamware or something.
 I don't know and I'm too lazy to look up the mark,
so here's a picture of the back, in case anyone wants to.......
 Last but not least is my back scratcher!!!!!
I have a very itchy back, and it's important to place these babies in strategic areas around one's home.....
I purchased this one from that very elite shop, Pier One.......
So, 
that's it for the right side of my bed!!!!!!!
How exciting is my life, anyway??????

Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

21 comments:

Terri~terrileeauthor said...

Darling post, hysterically funny and pretty to boot. My cup of tea.
Your bedroom looks yummy.I love the soft blue and white. Quite a la-te-dah bedroom for a peasant. :)

Brenda Pruitt said...

Now Miz Betsy, are you sure your Daddy isn't perched over there on that other table? I have clothes that "aren't dirty enough yet" but "none too clean either." I put them across a chair too. Get a little more wear out of them and save on that washing machine HE high-falutin' soap.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

you know . . . I don't know how many people 'get' you . . . but you are so brilliant and funny and . . . I (seriously) thank God for you . . .

Evelyn said...

Hi Betsy...I agree with anonymous above. You're blog is so entertaining. Fast becoming one of my favs. And I love that you love fake flowers. Pretty cool for a big time designer. I love them too. Thanks for all the good info and laughs.
Evelyn

Jennelise said...

You have an absolutely gorgeous bedroom! I love the soft colors and the beautiful antique pieces. If I had a room like this I would never want to leave it! :) It has been lovely discovering your blog!
Jennelise

fixitfaerie said...

I want to live in your house.....it is so pretty. Thanks for sharing.
Paula Lusk

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said...

I get happy when I see "Betsy Speert" in my inbox! Love your blog! Love your style!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Betsy,
I rather dress my home then myself too...I have a friend who has so many designer shoes and handbags she could never use them all. I would rather have antique/vintage dishes, good old hand me-downs and lovely handmade things, hand stitched pillow cases and quilts. I am still me not matter what I wear..
I think your thought about the table edge might be correct...at least it sure makes a lot of sence.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

As always, a great post to read for my daily humor coupled with design ideas. Oh..and your mom's photo...she was quite the beauty! Do you get your good looks from her?

Amy Chalmers said...

BEtsy you are so funny!! I love the galley table~it has tiny hearts all around it, so sweet but not sugary~just like YOU!!!! Loved the peasant story, the best thing about your posts is that you do design and share your funny personal stories right along with it...what a great mix!

Vicki said...

I have a chair like that too! (for clothes not clean enough to put away but not dirty enough to wash) I figure I'm "airing them out" for another wearing. I do love your bedroom, it looks so restful and pretty.

Stacy's Shabby Shoppe said...

Just found your blog through a mutal friend and I love it...just my style and I love it that you don't take yourself too seriously! Now that I like in a woman!

Decdreams said...

You are obviously a very neat and tidy person, you can't fake that kind of tidy. So what is in the drawer?? Where do you hide your pills, eye/nose drops, tissues, nail file etc. etc. etc.

What would you call your style? Betsy?? What I love about your decorating is that it can't be pidgeonholed, so free and creative, so refreshing and delicious!!!
Your floral freedom made me bring my beloved but a bit shabby sofa down from the sewing room to replace the newly recovered boring blue one in the living room and I LOVE it!!! Bet your are shaking people up all over blogdom, well, especially your long time devoted fans. What a treat to see how it's all done!!!! Pure delight!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You bring such a smile to my face when I read your blog and I always laugh out loud. You are hilarious as well a talented. Killer combo sister!

Anonymous said...

It is so pretty I do love it so much, I love blue !!!!, Thank you to be so nice to show us your are a real tallented person, keep on.
Chantal from Québec

Anonymous said...

Betsy, You make me laugh and recognize who I am and glad to know I am not alone about my feelings of self and home. Your style confirms it's okay to be ones self and love it. Bobbie

Unknown said...

I loved your post on place settings. I also have lovely vintage plates, cabbage leaf plates from Marshalls and the faux mother of pearl cutlery from Target!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, peaceful room.
I love all your personal stuff; some houses you walk into and they could be a hotel room. No family pix. No unusual touches.
I use antique dresser trays for coasters. My tables are big enough and my cats love to sleep on the cool, lovely Limoges violets! Just the right size for kitty butts.
I enjoy your blog.

Rita's Recipes said...

I'm all caught up on your last few posts and just wanted to say (again) you crack me up!

Lisa said...

You have a beautiful bedroom.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...