Saturday, August 18, 2012

Marvelous Miss Mustard Seed Makes Me Motivated!!!!


I need to take a short break from showing off my master bedroom to report back from the trenches in my dining room.
The reason I had a white linen table cloth on my dining table was because it looked like this!!!!!
The two middle leaves had never been refinished, so when I bought the table this is how they were sold to me.
In Watertown, I didn't have room for expanding the table, so it was not a big deal. I just stored them in the broom closet.....
 It had big gouges dug out of the two center leaves.....
How that happened is a long story.....
(OK, it had to do with the way I stored the leaves in my old house.
 As I said, they were in the broom closet, 
and every time the vacuum was pulled out and put back in,
 it rubbed against the leaves.)
(I didn't know this was happening.......
because I was not the person doing the vacuuming!!!!!)
The end of the table was missing a big piece of veneer. 
I used to have this piece.
I KNOW I saved this  piece.
SOMEBODY LOST IT!!!!!
Since I live by myself, I wonder who that was?????
So to cover up this mess, I used a white linen tablecloth.....
I have my large family over to dinner on a regular basis, and it really is a pain always having to wash the damn thing.
So I decided to 
REMEDY THE SITUATION!!!!!
MISS MUSTARD SEED TO THE RESCUE!!!!!
I got the brilliant (in my opinion) idea to paint the top.
I was going to use chalk paint because it requires no prep work.
 (Other than filling in the holes.)
But then, Marion of Miss Mustard Seed fame decided to come out with her own line of milk paint.
Well.....
I am a big fan of the way her stuff chips.
(and it doesn't need any prep work, either!!!)
Yes in deedy do!!!!!
My good buddy Amy Chalmers at Maison Decor is going to be selling this fab paint.
However.....
Marion was not expecting every one and her sister to be chomping at the bit to buy this paint.
SOOOOOOO.......
It's launch date keeps getting pushed back, 'cuz Marion has created a monster!!!!
Well.....
I really wanted to try the chippy look on my table.
But I didn't want to wait any longer, 'cuz my house is getting scouted for Traditional Home Magazine.
So I checked that it would be OK with Amy, and I wrote Marion an email
BEGGING
to sell me some of that there Lucketts Green 
RIGHT NOW, THIS MINUTE, NO MORE WAITING, I'M NOT KIDDING AROUND.....
But before I heard back from her, I started panicking, so ran down to my basement workroom, and mixed up some Annie Sloan paint, working up a color green I could use in my dining room.....
 Then I waxed the paper with dark wax to see what it would look like.....
And I was liking how this was turning out.....
and then I got an email back from Marion!!!!!
Well.....
Marion is a real trooper, and she worked it out with her factory to sell me some of that there stuff!!!!!
Too Cool for School!!!!!!!
Sooooooo.......
I filled the gouges and places with missing veneer with a putty that Amy Chalmers told me about.....
the way her filler came was in a small tube that squeezes out a bead of filler.
My hardware store didn't sell it that way.
Amy is cooler than I am.
I was stuck with this big tub.
 So, I filled and sanded and wiped off the dust.
Moved the leaves down to the basement.....
Put some large cardboard pieces under the table.....
 Then I was ready to go!!!!!
Just had to wait for the paint to arrive!!!!!
It arrived Tuesday!!!
I painted yesterday!!!!!
And I blog today!!!!!
The paint came in a baggy.....
The paint came in a baggy.....
The paint came in a baggy!!!!!
It comes in powder form.....
So it's easy to store, 
won't dry out from old age 
(like I am.)
And doesn't take up a lot of room...


 And it was yellow!!!!!
I freaked!!!!!
I wanted Lucketts Green!!!!!
sooooooo
I called the really nice and patient lady at the factory, 
her name is Jennylyn Pringle.
It's supposed to be yellow!!!!!
It turns green when you mix it with water!!!!!

 So, I got my supplies out, ready to mix this baby up!!!
Made sure I had my phone, so I could call Amy with any questions, or odd comment, or just to say hi.....
Amy suggested I look at Marion's tutorial.....
Sooooo.....
Then I watched Marion's tutorial, and decided to mix it by hand....
 And I painted the first leaf.....
It went on 
So Easy!!!!
 Ran upstairs and painted the table.
Here it is with the first coat.....
Here's the second coat.....
I brought up the leaves that I had painted with two coats....
Put them back in the table, and waited for the paint to start chipping.
'Cuz that's what milk paint does.
It chips.
That's why we like it.
'Cuz it chips.
Why wasn't it chipping????
 Well, sometimes it doesn't.
OY...
So, I started distressing it.
It distresses really nicely.....
So, I kept going, and went too far, as usual.
It would have been OK if the damn thing had chipped. 
(Keep telling yourself that, Betsy)
 No, matter, I could add some more paint!!!
Then I checked my email.
Well!!!!!
Marion had emailed me a REALLY COOL tip!!!!
You can run a putty knife lightly over the surface, to create the chippy look.
She will be making a tutorial to show how to do this.
So I tried it, 
and it was magic!!!!!



I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!!!
It looks like the top is a hundred years old.
Older than Me!!!
(Actually, the table is older than I am, now that I think about it.....)
(Actually, it's over 100 years old now.)
(It wasn't when I bought it....)
(sheesh!!!!)

I need to add a finish coat to the top, and have ordered Miss Mustard Seeds hemp oil. It will come next week, and I am having my family to dinner next weekend.
This time, 
NO TABLE CLOTH!!!!!

This was a very long post.....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

31 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

You are just the BOMB!!! I love everything you do, and you go after it big time with gusto!! Love the table, and the room looks so pretty with the greens and the blues and the roses on the slips...I love that mustard seed paint too, its all too much fun painting away every day~this was an excellent post!

Miss Char said...

OK I'm so beyond in love with this I can't stand it. Wait...did I say I was in love with this? I should have said I'm over the moon at the results you've achieved with this table, the green is just perfect. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to get off my duff and try this on a table in my eating area!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Looks great Betsy!

hugs
Sissie

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Congratulations, Betsy! It looks great and will look even better with the top coat. Good for you!

Linda E. said...

LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

As usual, your stuff is lovely. I would not have chosen green, but it is beautiful, so I must learn to pick colors like you do. Love that flowered chair pulled up to the table, in fact, love everything!

Mari said...

How ever do you pick such beautiful colors, you have a great eye for clolor, wish I did :/ well any who your table turned out gorgeous like everything you do....
Your home is simply beauteeeeeful...

Big Smiles~
Mari

Jaye @ Just Trying to Make Cents of it All! said...

I love that!!! It turned out so good!! I'm actually of thinking of doing something similar to my kitchen table so I'll consider milk paint. I have used milk paint before and I liked the way it looked.

Found you through Show and Tell Saturday. You're freaking hilarious!

Your newest follower!!

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Bestsy! I love that green color too. You've given me an idea! Thank you! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Love, love that table. That green is fabulous. Wish I could get up the nerve to do that to some of my furniture. Maybe you are just the inspiration that I need.

Sandra White

Anonymous said...

It turned out great and now I know what to expect when I get some of Miss Mustard Seeds paints. I love reading your blog and hers. Ya'll are great! Thanks for the post and the laughs.
lin

Debra@CommonGround said...

it looks wonderful. I have a table that I need to do this with, Please let us know how it wears. that's my worry, cause it's a table we use in the kitchen daily. LOVE the color!

Nutbird said...

Yah! I always get excited when I see my email that you have posted something. I had forgotten about your table. When I read your posts sometimes I forget to breathe because I think I read them like you talk. That green is beautiful. I am going to paint my laundry room with Marian's paint. (I know, I know, I just don't get the whole laundry room decoration.) But I need to paint it and paint all the dark barn red cabinets to spiff up my house before retirement. This green might be a good contender. The hall and kitchen is gray with white trim, so it might look good together. Thanks for the demo. I Just Can't Wait. I also want to try it on walls. If you are going to be in Traditional Home, is chintz coming back? I recovered my sofa in 1999, but I still have about 12 ft of Cowtan and Tout fabric sewn into a big curtain. I love chintz.

Debra said...

Actually, I really do not like the Milk Paint.... I love the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint... One day Miss Mustard Seed loves Chalk Paint, the next day she loves her own milk paint. The paint blogs have all become whoremongers the same as politics..... Annie Sloan one day MMS milk paint the next day. It only matters who is paying you the money! I am sooooo.... dissappointed...

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Betsy dear....I always feel as if I have run a marathon when I read your fun posts! LOVE your sense of humor. Love the table even more...well done!

Janet xox
The Empty Nest

sweet violets said...

I agree with janet, I am always breathless after reading your posts!!! What fun you are!!! And honey, wow, that table top looks fab, what a great green that is, and love the floral chairs mixed with the striped cushions.....just my cup of tea!!! Can't wait to see the table all set for dinner!!!

pipigirl said...

early bird special ehhh????? looks great bets.

Anonymous said...

Love it! I've gotta get her milk paint!

kristilpow said...

Oooh and aaahhhh!!! Love it! Don't I wish I could be stored in a baggie to stop drying out!?! You're too funny! Have to be careful drinking my coffee reading your blog...BTW, is this the same milk paint (concept) from the 80's just 'better'?

Anonymous said...

Green is my favorite color... Looks great in that room... Thanks for sharing the demo... Teresa

Anonymous said...

OK, I might get booed and hissed for this, but -- your dining room chairs are bugging me! I love them individually, but I don't like the way they look together at the table. I would take the set of the chintz side chairs and create a conversation nook in that room with them, until they are needed for a dinner seating. That being said, my house looks like crap, so you trump me ;) P.S., the table rocks!

Cindy said...

Oooooo, I love it. Lucketts green is just such a perfect shade of green. It looks great in your dining room too. It really does seem to have a natural aged look, and goes with the brown nicely. Those little caned back chairs with their sweet stripy seat cushions are so charming with it all too!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Love the room with all the delicious layers. Especially the fabric on the chairs with the green tabletop, blue surroundings. Swoon. I would love to see what you do with a table setting in here. You definitely have a vision with awesome execution skills.

The White Pear Tree said...

kristilpow stole my line! Ooooh and aaaah indeed! What a great colour. Please show pics once you have put the hemp oil.

And I disagree with Debra. I think there's room for both MMS milk paint and ASCP on the market. They're both different, the colours are different, depending on the final effect you want to achieve. ASCP is great for the French look, and milk paint is ideal for a more country look. In fact, a lot of ASCP stockists will be selling both.

Debi Jaynes said...

Now after seeing your table, I'm really going to paint the back wall of the top of the secretary-it's going to be yellow! Thanks for giving me the nerve to start it! We may have one of the few houses in SW Florida furnished with ante-bellum antiques!

Terri~terrileeauthor said...

I love it...it looks perfect.

design on a find said...

I love the green. I can not wait to try this. looks great!

thistlewoodfarm said...

I had never heard of the putty knife trick! Absolutely brilliant! I need to get some milk paint and try this!

Have a blessed day!
karianne

Anonymous said...

Talented you are but PLEEZ stop this chalky milky paint thing you have started. I abhor it. In my humble opinion you would do a lot better with green on your walls in your dining room and your living room. They are a bit on the chilly side with the wimpy blue. But I adore you and will continue to follow your talents.

Sue said...

I LOVE your style and love visiting you for inspiration! Your table is motivating me to do something with mine. I am getting a kitchen redo so think I may wait til I can really "feel" the room to choose color(s) for the table. I painted the chairs with chalk paint and have recovered their seats. Love the look. I had planned to do the table top and legs in chalk paint as well but the feel of it is just not something I can imagine wiping down each day as my grandchildren visit and drip the syrup from their favorite pancakes all over it. My table is sporting the paint I applied 20 years ago and actually still looks great despite two sons and now their kids. I just have to cover up the stencils I loved so much 20 years ago so need to do something. Any thoughts on the durability of chalk paint? I have done several pieces and do like the look but the touch is just not what I envision for this table top. Is there a trick I am missing?

Anonymous said...

Looks as if Betsy has not polished her tabletop. I've done a small table in ASCP Pure White. After much sanding with sanding pads, ending with a 320 Sandblaster, that table top is smooth as satin. I can't believe how smooth and beautiful the sanded paint looks. Try it, you'll like it. I might spray on a coat of clear urethane to ensure protection. But also,maybe not.......

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...