Saturday, March 30, 2013

Seaside Cottage Bedroom

Well!!!!!
We are now finished with the first floor of Connie's beach side home!
Let's go to her bedroom.....
Traditional Home Magazine 2007
I lucked out with the rug choice of The Previous Designer (TPD).
It was one of my favorites from Stark.
I never had a chance to work with it before, so I grabbed the opportunity and ran with it.....
Some of the other bedroom choices by TPD weren't so great.....
BUT BEING THE FABULOUS DESIGNER THAT I IS.....
I fixed them.... 
Let me start by complaining about the bed.....
I love me a high bed!
It is very romantic!
It looks good too....
A lot of new beds are too low, although with the thickness of the newer mattresses and box-springs, this is somewhat alleviated.
I often use something called a bedrizer to raise the mattress height.
Older beds are higher.
They just look gooder.
I wanted Connie's bed to look gooder too.
So it was raised.
Only problem was.....
the headboard was too low.
TPD had gotten it from a catalog.
The shape was nice.....
sooooo.....
We added blocks to the legs to make it taller, 
and of course we painted it white,
and then I recovered it in a fun dotted swiss fabric.
(notice how I edited out the electrical cords.....
when I tried to get rid of them where they run over the baseboard, it just wasn't working.....so I gave up.)
(Now it looks like the wires are coming out of the wall....)
(That's 'cuz I removed them from the wallpaper and floor)
(I can only do so much with photo editing)
(oy)

I really loved this spotted fabric, it's from Brunshwig & Fils, probably has been discontinued, just like everything else I like.
I used it on the draperies and the dust ruffle.
It's a sheer.
It makes up into a really pretty window treatment.
I had Drape It, (my workroom) create a smocked header
 for the top of the valence.
When I use a sheer for a drapery valence, I like to have a contrast trim along the bottom.
This way the side panels are visually separated from the top.

I chose a striae paper in grass green for the walls.
I don't know why.....
but a paper creates a cozier feeling than a painted finish, 
even if the look is the same.
Go figure!!!!

Across from the foot of the bed is a wicker sofa and chair.....
To keep the beachy feel, I had them covered in a green awning stripe.
The view out the window 
is to die for!!!!!!!
Connie falls asleep to the sound of the waves!!!!!

Across from the side of the bed, is the chest of drawers.....
The one TPD chose we placed in Connie's closet.
So, that's it for today.....
For the next few posts.....
I am going to show more of this room and the fun things that Connie and I found to give it some character and punch!!!!!
Now....
I have to get back to teaching myself how to use Photoshop Elements 11.
I just bought it along with Photoshop Elements 11 for Dummies, 
and
Photoshop Elements 11 The Missing Manual.
We will see if this dog can learn any new tricks.....

I also just bought 
Digital Photography for Dummies.....
some of this better rub off!!!!!!

On that note....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

7 comments:

Pondside said...

I love it - and the view is fabulous too.
Good for you for doing all that learning - waaaay beyond me!

Life at Still Woods said...

Wishing you a blessed Easter from Still Woods Farmhouse!

Vikki said...

Love, love, love the dotted fabric! I can tell I am gona love this room! Vikki in VA

Debra@CommonGround said...

I love every eensy bit of this, but that wicker makes me drool!!!

Anonymous said...

Where can one purchase a bedriser to make the mattress higher? I have always liked the look of a high mattress.

Thx

Shirley

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

thanks for the tip about wallpaper being cozier than paint. love everything about this cottage room.

Classof65 said...

If, after all your studying, you still can't make the electrical cords disappear, do what I do: unplug the cords and stuff them out of sight before taking the photographs... works for me!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...