Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Beach Cottage Dining Room

In the dining area of Connie and Chris's ocean side home is a farm type table
 that The Previous Designer (TPD) sold to my buddies.
It was one of the first things I had to fix, when I took over this decorating job.
Connie had given me pictures and specs of all the items TPD had procured for them, and I was carefully going over each piece, to make sure it would work, both aesthetically and practically.
I noticed that this table had stretchers connecting the legs at each end.
It looked something like this.....
source
Soooooooo.....
I called Connie, and asked her....
"Hey, Connie!!!!!"
"Do you actually want to be able to sit at the ends of your dining table?????"
Where upon she answered, 
in her always on top of the situation voice.....
"What do you mean?????"
Now......
I don't want to misrepresent myself.
I will admit.....
I TAKE GREAT PLEASURE....
in showing up another designer.
Especially.....
one that was hired in my stead!!!!!!!
So I tried not to crow when I pointed out that her new table 
wouldn't work!!!!!
And then.....
I had it fixed....
because that's how GREAT 
I am.....
I had the stretchers cut off and the finish patched.
So.....
now Connie and Chris can reside at the head and foot of the table.....
when they have dinner parties.....
for which Connie does the cooking.....
and Chris stands around and talks.....
and wonders why Connie thinks it's so much work to have company.....

The host and hostess chairs are from Minton-Spidell.
This is the way it was shown in their catalog...
And....
I thought....
with a little tweaking....
it could just be da bomb for a beach side home!!!!!
So,
since they are willing to do custom finishes,
I chose the white I wanted the chairs painted.
Most furniture companies want to do some type of distressed and waxed painted finish, 
but I held to my guns, and had them done in just a simple white.
They were upholstered in Sunbrella fabric for ease of maintenance.
Unfortunately, 
this color has been discontinues.
I had a white contrast welt applied to the seat cushion, 
which adds a crisp outline to the chair, and unites the white of the frame to the upholstery.
The side chairs are from Baker through their Milling Road collection.
EMPIRE SIDE CHAIR
THE MILLING ROAD COLLECTION
I was able to use one of their existing finishes, since they don't do custom.....
and covered them in some more of the coral Sunbrella fabric that 
you can't get no more!!!!!
It seems, whenever I use something, the manufacturers 
IMMEDIATELY
stop producing it.
I am the anti-trensetter!!!!
As I showed you before,
I also had the hutch painted a plain white,
uniting the look with the chairs.
Over the table TPD had had a candle chandelier hung.
This isn't electrified, but just for candles.....
Connie has been out shopping without me.....
(nasty, nasty, nasty woman.....)
and found these wonderful birds for the dining table top....

I hate that she doesn't need me for everything.....
They're pretty cooooolllllll.....

TPD had a little trouble with space planning, and scale.....
She thought there would be room for this console table at the end of the dining table up against the French doors.
If you don't want to use the chair.....
 or be able to walk by the table.....
or be able to look out to the ocean.....
or be able to 
use the room at all.....
then this would have worked.
BUT.....
since Connie and Chris are unreasonable,
and want to actually live in this room,
I moved the table to the entry way.
And flanked it with these two wicker chairs, 
which TPC had planned to use by the game table.
I felt that they didn't have the heft needed there, so moved them to here, and replaced them with the  Milling Road Regency Arm Chair.
I think they make more of a statement at the end of the room.....
With the console table in the entry,
it can hold practical things....
like this ships model!!!!!
There are no end of important uses for this thingy!!!!!
And on that note....

Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

8 comments:

Erin~Just*Grand said...

I love the chairs and the table fix, and especially love how you say what we are all thinking and only wish we could say... Very pretty rooms!

Beth C. said...

Love those host chairs. I don't think I would have looked at those in the catalog and seen "beach house". Not to disparage your dear friend Connie, but the first thing I would have seen wrong would have been the stretchers on the table. I am all for function. Still love her though :). Best, Beth C.

lynngweeny said...

I love these posts.

Unknown said...

Enjoyable post! Great Coral color!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful room...I love those Regency chairs paired with the painted table...

cindy hattersley design said...

Thank god you fixed that table...Who (sorry) would put host and hostess chairs at the end of a table that you couldn't scoot up to! As always an extremely entertaining post!!

Natasha in Oz said...

I think you are very clever indeed-I wouldn't have even noticed that issue with the table! Your clients are very lucky!

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

PS my Say G'day party has just started so if you have a minute to spare please pop by and link up this gorgeous post! I love it when you join in!

Ruchi Verma said...

very nice blog you have posted.....all the chairs are very beautiful..

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...