Thursday, June 21, 2012

Toss Pillows are DA BOMB!!!


Class.....
Today's lesson is about the importance of
TOSS PILLOWS
A room without toss pillows, is like an outfit without accessories.
It may be very nice, 
But dere ain't no WOW factor!!!!!
Let us examine my living room.......
Now here's the room without the pillows or sofa throw....

Here's more of an overview without any pillows.....
When I got to this point on my living room design, 
my neighbors didn't understand me when I told them....
it wasn't ready for publication, because the last layer hadn't been done.
It needed toss pillows!!!!
From this.....
To this.....

from this.....
to this.....

It's important to bring color and pattern up onto the upholstery pieces, especially if you're going to a white slipcover look.
Otherwise, you'll end up with a cold and sterile (sort of) environment!

Throws over the back of the sofa are a nice way to bring in some color, and they serve a purpose for those colder days.

So let me take you on a tour of
 the pillows 
that I made with my very own 
little
hands!!!!!
First up!!!!!
I made the blue ones with little roses from a quilted flowered throw that I bought at the Christmas Tree Shop.
For those of you who live in other parts of the country, and don't know the joys of a
truly amazing BARGAIN!!!!!!!
The Christmas Tree Shop is not just a store that sells stuff for Christmas,
OTHERWISE.....
I would be a very sad little Jew!!!!
It's open ALL YEAR!!!
(yippee!!!!)
And it sells anything and EVERYTHING!!!!!
I liked the color and the pattern was a good scale. 
I wanted a smaller scale rose, to act as a foil against my big cabbage rose fabric.
(don'tcha know?????)
I sewed a second row of stitches 1 1/2" in from the outside seam to create a flange around the perimeter of the pillow.
Because of the thickness of the quilting, it created an really nice detail.....

The pillow in front of it was made from a scrape of the cabbage rose fabric inset inside a frame of decorative tape.
I already had the pillow made from before. It was just the white with the green trim.
SO TO BE VERRRRRY CLEVER!!!!!
I appliqued the rose fabric onto the white fabric, without even taking the cover off the pillow......

I still need to sew this pillow.....,
Right now, all I have is the fabric wrapped around an uncovered pillow form.
Maybe I'll get to it this year.....
It depends on whether or not my house will be photographed for a magazine.
I swear, the only way I ever get one of my houses completed, is to meet a  
publishing photo deadline.
It's kind of like.....inviting folks over to visit, just to force yourself to clean the house!!!!!

I made two other pillows using some left over trim from an old job.
I box pleated the tape to create a tailored ruffle effect.....

And lastly........
These two were created for a show house I did 
ages and ages and ages
ago.....
The R&R stands for 
Rest and Relaxation.
It was a show house on Cape Cod
I designed the needle point!!!!
and needle pointed the canvas!!!!!
But had my buddies at Drape It sew the pillows for me.
This was before I bought a sewing machine 
that didn't have a fit about its tension 
every time I tried to sew something!!!!
So, that's my pillow tutorial today students.
Don't forget to do your homework!!!!!
I want you to write 400 times in your notebook.....
TOSS PILLOWS ARE DA BOMB!!!!

Later Gator
Photobucket
Partying at:
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>504 Mainvif187UndertheTableandDreamingmop it up mondaysit all started with paintButton

Boogieboard CottageBetween Naps On the PorchHome Stories A2ZMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaA Diamond in the StuffNo Minimalist Here

26 comments:

nancy said...

Love the pillows. You are ESPECIALLY good with the details! Even before this post, I was wondering about the pillows. Are they of a medium firmness or soft & squishy? Are they to be used while sitting or mainly to "finish" the look? Must seem like a nitpicking question but I always wonder what to do with them when at someone else's home. Personally, I like to use mine. Thanks.

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

I agree toss pillows add the final touch. Your pillows are ssoooo pretty!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Great post....and really shows the need for all those final details in the before and after pics!
Blessings, Lorraine

Unknown said...

I just love that you shop at Christmas Tree Shops! Who knew, lol? I can't get enough of this room and I swoon every time I see it.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Betsy, I have found your blog awhile back and I just love love love it! Thanks for the lesson on pillows! I have a closet of pillow covers and inserts. Your R&R pillow is a sweet masterpiece!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Toss pillows are the very essential icing on the cake...
Brenda

Olive said...

They are the BOMB DIGGITY.

The White Pear Tree said...

They really do add an extra layer, like the sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Betsy, I agree! It's not complete without that last layer!! LOVE pillows!!! Yours are so pretty!

Maureen said...

The Christmas Tree Shop is worth browsing to see what you might find cuz the price is always right! Love the quilted fabric.

Ellen Kepas said...

I recently came across your blog and I love it! I find myself chuckling quite often, while reading it.
I know it's not a Tuesday but...I have two matching sofas in my living room. Should I have all my pillows be the same fabrics on both sofas or should I stay within my color scheme and have a bunch of different fabrics for my pillows?
I absolutely love the way you decorate! Thanks for all your tips!

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Yup! I've always used toss pillows...even if the client says "Why do I need them? I just throw them on the floor anyway!" Eventually they'll learn those pillows are truly "da bomb!" :-)

Love the white slipcovers with pillows!

Linda in AZ * said...

*** OK girlfriend, you SAY you're "older"... buuuut,are you old enough to remember an ollllld TV show called "The Life of Riley", with William Bendix??? It was verrrry popular when I was a kid!!!

Welllll, that's our last name & I think we need a pillow that says that, don't you? ~~~ After 38 years in the Army (hubby), and 28 moves, we are FIIIIINALLY living "The Life of Riley", even BETTER than we'd dreamed of for so long... Will that (the saying) be too big for a "first project" for me, or do you think I should "hire" someone to make one??? ... SUGGESTIONS on how to go about it are WELCOMED, PLEASE!!!

As always,loving your blog and FAB sense of humor, Betsy!

Blessings,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Linda in AZ * said...

P.S. BTW, I am a CERTIFIED "PILLOWHOLIC", and that AIN'T NO EXAGERATION, kiddo!!! My husband says they multiply like RABBITS!!!!! Linda ***

Shingle Cottage said...

Thank you for these lessons on details Betsy,i love your pillows and your room is just beautiful....you really are in a league of your own and have an amazing way of bringing everything together x

laney said...

...betsy your blog is such a joy!...everytime i come visit i end up with a happy feeling...and a smile on my face... and some wonderful ideas...blessings laney

Tammy said...

Wow! This entire room is just lovely! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

Great post !
Your newest follower, Francine
Ethereal PLUS what I Love

The Gilded JunqueYard said...

My sister lives out east and when i visit i always want her to take me to THe xMas TrEE sHOp!!! LOVE your attitude {maybe 'cause i recognize it haha} NEW follower! thanks for the turn on from my BFF Alison over at The PoloHouse!!
xxo-j

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Oh, I agree 100% with you about toss pillows (and, no, no, it has nothing to do with the fact that I have an Etsy that sells .... you guessed it!).

But the flange ... the decorative tape inset ... the box pleat trim (I pinned that sucka) ...

And the timing couldn't be perfect cuz I've got me a little pillow thingy going on over on my blog and would be oh so honored if THE Betsy Speert participated!

I so adore that room ... even without the pillows!

:)

Linda

Mary @ Sea Quilts said...

I'm obsessed with throw pillow and make them ... or recover them ... constantly. I'm thinking it might be an illness, but there's no time to see a doc about it ... too busy designing and sewing.

I've followed you for years, it was fun to come across your blog ~

Mary

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

So happy you came to the party! Thanks for the Pillowpalooza link up ... and button sporting love!

:)

Linda

House Crazy in Michigan! said...

I just placed my photo for the 8th Q&A session. Hope Im doing this correctly?

My early 1950's ranch "small house under a big sky' home has a Indiana Limestone fireplace wall and mantle with oak that the former owners put on. Shiny and busy.

NOTE: We live in the country on a dirt road and have two large dogs. Many of my design decisions must be made taking these two factors in mind. This is why we have leather furniture and area rugs in green/brown/rust tones.

We are retirees on a VERY limited, fixed budget so contractors and tears outs are not in the budget.

I'm pretty much convinced that I need to do these two things and then there is my stone dilemma.

1) Paint the oak wall and mantle, selecting a color from the limestone to softened the wall down.
2) Paint brass fireplace surround; either black or brown (the four square grates are brown.) What color would you go? I have new leather furniture that is deep brown.

My dilemma...the Indiana limestone on the fireplace matches the limestones on the outside of my home and is part of this Ranch Homes "vintage charm.

I've been told paint the stones and frame them in with wood to modernize the look, but I am reluctant!It's a bit stretch for me to even contemplate painting the wall and the mantle. Then if the stones are painted...as the wall it will be a big cream blob...

Everything else in the room, drapes, furniture etc. must stay due to fixed income.

What would you do if this were your home and you were on a restricted budget??

feather in my cap said...

Question: I have a corner gas fireplace in the living room, so three sides to the mantel. Do I design it as it were one piece or 3 separate vistas as it has 3 different sides?

allisamazing said...

Your pillows are gorgeous and really are that finishing touch!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Betsy, I agree with needing some color in an all white room. Your pillows are beautiful and perfect for the room. Thanks for joining the Open House party and have a great week.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...