Friday, April 6, 2012

Master Bath Primp




So, as I was saying.....
When I first saw this bathroom I was less than impressed.
I needed to add stuff to the room to make it visually warmer.
Even though this house is in Florida, it can get chilly down here.
I HATE STEPPING OUT OF A SHOWER INTO A COLD STERILE 
ENVIRONMENT!!!

Now the previous owner used a vanity stool without a back....
However.....
to help cut into the unfurnished volume of the space, 
I added a chair with a back.
The vertical height helps to make the room feel less cavernous.

I lucked out finding this faux bamboo chair from the Boston Design Center.
The color was perfect. 
The size was perfect.
The style was perfect.


I had the cushion made
 (once again, before I realized I could do this #$% myself!!!)
I even brought the chair in so they could make a template of the seat.
I didn't trust myself to do it properly.....
Soooooo.....
When I went to pick it up, I figured it would be fine.
I ordered it with a 2" box side...
(that means the side piece would be 2" high)
Soooooooo.....
I brought it home.....
put it on the chair.....
AND IT WAS TOOOOOO SMALL!!!!
AND I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH  FABRIC LEFT TO REDO IT!!!!
I was REALLY steamed.
This was expensive fabric.
I won't even tell you guys how much, because.....
well I just won't .

So, the store had me keep the feather inset, and didn't charge me for the cost of the inset.
So, now I had an inset, but nothing with which to cover it.

SOOOOOOOO.......
The next year.....
when I had retired, and started making stuff for myself.....
this cushion was still in my bathroom in plain muslin.
Every time I looked at it, it 
FRIED MY GOAT!!!!

By this time I had started to sew again, and had made a cushion cover for a different project.

Sooooooooo.....
I started thinking about it, and thinking about it, and thinking about it.....

Now, the thing is, without the cover, the cushion was the correct size.
The cover had been made too small.....
I CAME UP WITH A SOLUTION!!!!!
YIPPEE!!!!!
I just needed to take the old cover apart, and make new box sides that were bigger!!!!!
So I pieced together my scraps of fabric that I still had, and made a strip of fabric 5 inches wide, took the zipper out of the old piece, added it to my 5" strip, sewed it all together, 
and 
VOILA!!!
it fit, but instead of a 2" box, I had a 4" box.
AND I LIKED IT BETTER ANYWAY!!!!!

So now, I have this really lush looking place to sit and pull the unwanted hairs off my face!!!!

 I love the way the chair matches the mirrors, matches the towel hooks, matches the stool by my tub matches, the magazine rack by the loo.

For towel hanging help, I bought French faux bamboo hooks on ebay.
Once again, I am an international traveler, shopping in France, 
dontch'a know!!!!

Like the way I used silver colored screws to go with the chrome in the room?????
JUST KIDDING!!!!
I need to paint them, 'cuz they is ugly!!

I used the same type of hooks by my tub....

This one is made of oak, and I don't think it translates as well, because the grain is so noticeable.....

HOWEVER!!!
It holds my towels just fine, thank you very much.

It hangs over my tub.....
Where I soak when my old bones ache from all this DIY @#$

Here's a close up of my little stool, it holds my towel for me when I'm in the shower....

Isn't it pretty?????
I paid WAY too much for it in a local antique store,
BUT, it was perfect for my bathroom, 
and I HAD TO HAVE IT!!!!

Of course I need a pillow.....

and a caddy for all my things while I soak....

And pretty stuff to look at....


Now THIS bird collection is a bunch of little flower vases from 
Czechoslovakia. 
My buddy June collects these too. 

It's hard to take a shot looking into a window....

They have a mark on their bottoms like this.....

Can I blab on and on, or what?????
I will continue with this room .....
Later, Gator

Photobucket

9 comments:

Olive said...

Whatever you paid for the stool, by the tub, it completes the look. I would have bought it as well. Sometimes you have to splurge.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love all the faux bamboo and hearing the stories behind your collections!

Bonnie Schulte said...

OMG..most of all, I am so happy you have no hair (or hares, cuz, it is Easter) on your face today! Just join the old lady march.. I know you have a long way to go to be an old lady, but I've been fighting those tiny buggers (some longer than others) for the last 25 years... EKKKKK, I am 72, and no they don't dry up and go away,(face dries up some, and wrinkles show up too, with hair on them) ( well maybe a lot) they (those stupid lady whiskers say hello to you in the morning... and say.. I'm back...good morning...and you start again.. I'm thinking of using weed killer..who knows, it might just work.

Bonnie Schulte said...

Why, did I just write that???? I thought I read you were having a moment where you noticed a couple of (you know) on your chin. I am sorry if I was going blind here for a moment, and read that wrong... Please forgive me. My only excuse is..I'm old..true story.....very very old.stinky old...anyway...

Debra@CommonGround said...

Great bathroom, Betsy. Must have a tub to soak our weary bones. Love your birdie vases on the ledge, I collect them too. It's great getting this hands on tour of your home!

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

I could soak there! I really like this room. Hey can you post where you got that tub pillow? I really need one of those.

Victoria said...

love,love,love bamboo love the chair,the stool,the towel racks and the wallpaper does such a nice job
of warming up the space at least visually

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I'm so happy I found your blog, Betsy. I just love your beautiful sense of style. (I'm a betsy of another color, btw!)

Anonymous said...

Betsy I love all your what you call stuff, and put together well. inspiration plus, especially your cottages, love them

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...