Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Beachy Keen Living Room


You may have not noticed.....
But I took the weekend OFF!!!!
I AM RETIRED.....
I AM LAZY!!!!!!
So here I am, back in blogland, to share what I've been up to.

I've been helping my neighbors.
I am a wonderful and beneficent neighbor.
They should worship the ground on which I lightly tread!!!!!

My neighbor (and friend, I don't do this for just anyone, ya know!), Helene admits that she's clueless when it comes to decorating. 
So she's at my mercy, because I could tell her that mirrors over her bed are the in thing right now, and she'd believe me.
I've been helping her with her front room.
It was supposed to be the dining room in the model she has, but then it would
never get used!!!!!
So we changed it to a sitting room, that gets lots of attention and  sprawling bodies.

I gave her most of the furniture in the room, as I was emptying out a small  cottage I had in West Palm Beach.
Her husband almost had a coronary, 'cuz he doesn't like cottagey design.
BUT IT WAS FREE!!!!!
JEESH!!!!

This is how it looked by the end of yesterday.....

OK, now here is how we did this.....

We started with a brown room the day I had the sh#% furniture moved into the house.

The sofa, wicker chair, armoire, two slip covered chairs, floor lamp and rug were from me, me, me.....
Helene had the ottoman, which her twin toddler girls had peed on, among other things, in their short life.
She likes blues and greens, so we decided to not use the draperies (hanging on the chair to the left), and bring in new toss pillows to change the color direction of my furniture.

The first thing we did,
 (this was two years ago, this has been a work in progress.......oy!!!)
was take an upholstery class at our local high school and reupholster the ottoman.

It was a plain canvas fabric with lots of interesting stains and smells.
So it was stripped down to its frame.
And we replaced all the foam and dacron, and then Helene came to Betsy's house for her own private sewing lesson......
So after I sewed the cover, it looked like this......

Stripes are really versatile, depending on how you seam the fabric.
By mitering the fabric, you can create squares or crosses.

Soooo.....
Then I chose a color for the walls, and somehow, I ended up helping with the paint job.
Don't these kids know.....
I'm too old for this #$%????
I chose a soft green, 
Don't ask me for the color!!!!!
It would look different in your house!!!!!

So, the room's now green.....
and we started to work on accessories.....
THE WALLS WERE BARE.....
OH NO!!!!!
BARE WALLS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!
I know!!!!!
Lets throw a bunch of stuff on the walls, and see what sticks!!!!

So I started with oyster plates, because Helene wanted to do a nautical theme.

I worked on the arrangement on top of the armoire. 
It was this.....

Needed some tweaking.....
So I added in a starfish theme.
Ya know, choose something and then do it over and over and over and over.

Helene, very cleverly attached the starfish on the basket by just hanging it on a nail, pushed through the woven side......

Just don't jostle it!!!!
We do things right down heah in Flerida.

Then we attacked the wall over the sofa.
Once again, I did a theme collection of nautical stuff.....

Now.....
at this point our friend and neighbor, Lissette....
(we all live on the same block)
felt that I had hung enough stuff on the walls.
HA!!!
She was sooooo wrong.
Now I just have to make her admit it.
The arrangement over the sofa felt flat and two dimensional to me.
Too pat.
NOT ENOUGH STUFF!!!!!
WE NEEDED BRACKETS!!!!
yeah, man, that's what we needed alrighty!!!
So I made advised Helene to buy them from Ballard Design, 'cuz I had seen some nice ones.
I had her get two of the large, and four of the medium size.

Next post, I will show how I worked out the wall arrangement, and planned out the whole shebang.
Later, Gator
Photobucket
Partying at:
French Country Cottagevif187<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>

RRR

it's OVerflowing{nifty button}

Sunday's Best ButtonBoogieboard Cottage
DIY Show Offyou are talking too muchi should be mopping the floor

UndertheTableandDreamingDelectable HomeButtonHome Stories A2Z

My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaIvy and ElephantsOrganize and Decorate EverythingButtonshabby creek cottage

PhotobucketNo Minimalist Here

44 comments:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

You are a great friend! Very cute room!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Betsy,
I want to be your neighbor in "Flerida" LOL
The room looks wonderful and so fresh..I look forward to seeing more photo's.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Crystal Cat said...

I like the painting in the backround. I wud luv that in a house of mine. If I ever get one.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, you are the nicest neighbor ever!! Love this room. Great ottoman and colors. Can't wait to see more.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE the way this room turned out and love all that fabulous color!! What a great friend you are! Looking forward to seeing more!

Anonymous said...

Drat...I should have stayed in Florida!!!! This room is amazing!!
Good for you and wonderful for her!!

Effie said...

You get a lot done for a retired lazy person. ;) I adore the room and who can hate starfish? Poor hubby, alone and outvoted. At least he has a tasteful front room at very little cost to him. Even if he's drug in there kicking and screaming.

Olive said...

Clearly you are brilliant. The ottoman is transformed and love the green on the walls and the whole room is wonderful. They are most fortunate to have you.

Amy Chalmers said...

The miters are perfection....that is HARD to do! I love how it came out~the room is pretty in a gender neutral kind of way...so her hubby must be as happy as she is...can't wait to see more.

home before dark said...

Don'tcha know forces of nature never retire.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Will you please be MY neighbor now????:):) The room looks beautiful, I love the wall color and the OTTOMAN!!! Great job! I can't sew a thing:( HURRY, I want to see the rest:):) XO, Pinky

Anonymous said...

I love your style ... the way you write ... your humor ... glad I landed here ... just wish I was your neighbor and friend too ... FUN.

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

What a fun room! You'd die in my house though---for sure you'd say "When are you going to fill up those walls?!?!" Sorry, I'm sort of a "less is more" for my own house.

What a fun neighbor you must be and generous ta boot! :-)

Mary said...

I want to be your neighbor too!! Love the room and mad you left us hanging...I can't wait to see how the brackets changed the look of the wall.

JoAnn said...

Since you keep saying you are sooooo old...I have to say this...PLEASE don't die on me..I would miss you something fierce..I LOVE LOVE your blogs...You are of course, a fantastic decorator but your personality shines through here...hmmmm such as it is...lol....You are the greatest...just like Ali...oh by the way, I hate it when you take off a day or two ....stop that.,...lol...

Joy @ Comfort and Joy said...

The paint color started a revolution! Its warm, fun, inviting and sooooo creative. Love it!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the stripes and beachy vibe to the room! I want you as a neighbor!

PinkPeony said...

Love the room, drab to fantastic and so much brighter.

Unknown said...

Oh honey, it's just gorgeous! Love it!

chateau chic said...

This room is sooo pretty! Love what you've done so far.
Mary Alice

Roxanne Reinhart said...

Hi I found you from Fridays Unfolded (the word beach reached out and grabbed me) and I must say I'm happy it did. I love what you have done to this room. Especially the wall art, the paint color, the ottoman, your writing style and .....lol

cgammeter said...

Hi Betsy: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GF friend, I would love it if you stop by and be my friend, too.
I just stumbled onto your blog. It's adorable. You did an amazing job on this beachy living room.
Thanks for sharing.

Eclectically Vintage said...

Love it - but a mirrored ceiling would have added so much to the room!!
Kelly

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Well I sure wish I was your neighbor, because you could give me this sh#% anytime. Love how the room is coming together. Im loving the colors and beachy vibe. Can't wait to see how the shelves add to the room. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha... you know what? All that others said on top + the fact that you are a good writer and narrator. I loved reading your blog and I am coming back for more.

I lurve the beachy style and I think I could one of those prawling bodies that fall here eod. :)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

*be one of those. Coffee still not in my veins..you can make out :)

Donna Wilkes said...

I am pinning this in my Green With Envy category just because I am green with envy!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Crafty Texas Girl said...

You crack me up! Love you sense of humor and sense of style. Thanks for linking up to Cowgirl Up!
:) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

Anonymous said...

The new version looks beautiful, and, despite, brighter colours, even cosier.
Wow, brava! :)

Unknown said...

So nice to help your friend!

I'm visiting from the Cozy Home Scenes linky party. I hope that you can stop by my blog. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Betsy, you must be the best and funniest friend a girl could have!! The furniture is amazing and looks right at home in Helene's sitting room. Thanks for showing it at Your Cozy Home Party. -------Shannon

very merry vintage style said...

What a lucky girl to have you design the room. That ottoman cover is amazing. Everything looks beautiful. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday
Mary

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

You are the nicest neighbor ever! Love the transformation..it looks brighter and colourful.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I'm in love with this room... I love the blues and greens. And I like that the room isn't so light and airy that it seems to float away...the armoire really anchors the space. The vignette on top really floats my fancy...did I just mix up sayings...anyway...the basket of hydrangeas is beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest of the reveal! Thanks for sharing your fabulous style and fun self at Show & Tell!

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Love, love it!! What a great job. The wall came out beautifully..., and I want to learn how to upholster as well.

Jennelise said...

Wow! It looks beautiful! I love the color of the walls!
Jennelise

Angela said...

Beautiful! :)

Roeshel said...

LOL! Betsy, you crack me up! This is oh so pretty! It may be old stuff, but the new spin is gorgeous! You are one talented decorator! :) I'm going to share a link back in this week's highlights. I'm so glad you linked up to the DIY Project Parade. Thanks for sharing your hard work!

Tisha Clapp said...

This redeux is amazing! I love that ottoman with the mitered stripes! And the new green color is so light and happy. Thanks for linking up - I'm inspired!

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious and fun! As a fellow Floridian I know how the never ending sunshine affects our brains! :-) just found your blog through Between Naps on the Front Porch and plan to look around. BOY, what a lucky neighbor you have...I would have PAID for that stuff from your W. palm Bch. Place.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

A great look for sure and i LOVE that chair. Perfection. thanks for sharing on BeColorful this week.
pam

Laurel said...

What a fabulous transformation. I also took an upholstery class - and am in awe of your mitered corners on the ottoman. Fantastic!

Laurel at SoPo Cottage

Amy Fountain said...

This is just gorgeous! Love the seashells collection.

The Charm of Home said...

Gorgeous! Love the beachy touches! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...