Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Little Cottage Guest House

OK Kampers.......
This is the next to last space to show y'all of Connie and Chris's Vermont home.
Across the pond from the main house is this little gem of a cottage.
It was there when they bought the property,
 but has been totally reinvented by MOI!!!!!
(with the help of Les Brown, my buddy, who is the architect I worked with for a millennium.....)
We added the metal roof and the front porch and the French door and the window box and the adirondack chairs and the peonies and ...and...and.......
Inside there had been a loft over the left half of the room which made the space feel claustrophobic and dark.
Since NOBODY was going to be climbing up no ladder to get to it.....
we took it out!!!!!
Which opened up the space nicely.
We painted the inside a light cream, but left the beams a nice dark stained wood.
I chose a pretty lemon yellow that matched the background color of the floral fabric to paint the shutters and woodwork around the windows.
The same color was used on the headboard.
  
I used the same fabric in my Massachusetts Study on the little sofa by my desk.
Don't tell Connie, but I made the pillows out of left over fabric from her house!!!!!
I am shameless and have no scruples.......
Lucky for me she can't remember how to get to my house, and every time she comes to visit me she has to have me tell her once again how to get to where I live.......
Sooooooo.....
We used the fabric for the duvet cover and bed skirt as well as the club chair and ottoman.
Blue was used as the contrast color for both the welting and the bottom edge of the dust ruffle.
I fell in love with the cottagey vibe of the floor lamp, and got Connie to buy if for this little house.
The flowers on the lampshade go so well with the overall feeling of the room.
For guests that Connie and Chris hope won't want to return.....
is this little log cabin in a clearing in the woods up the hill from the house.
Chris built it with a friend of his.
It's something he always wanted to do.
No plumbing.
No electricity.
No heat.....
Sooooo.....
Since I guess that the cat's out of the bag about me stealing Connie's fabric, 
this is probably where I'll be put if I come back to visit......

On that note,
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Betsy, be still my heart! Since I am old and decrepit, resigned to fact of having to live with my son (bummer), I would give my eye teeth (if I still had them, I promise I would) for this little cottage. You're killing me here...

Bonnie Schulte said...

Oh good grief. I would swoon (do women really do that)? if I had anything in my bedroom that was covered with that beautiful fabric. Too wonderful for words!! I would probably STEAL any left over from the project... Where did that idea come from?

Sam I Am...... said...

When can I move in? I mean "visit". LOL! Yellow is my favorite color and I've been wanting to "down size" and I love roses!

Carol Ray said...

I Love everything about the little cottage. Does it have a bathroom? I'm old too so I would need a bathroom close by in case Connie asks some of your "close friends" to come stay in it.

Beth C. said...

If I remember correctly you mentioned a while back that Connie and Chris were selling this place. If I scrape all my friends together we maybe could afford the one room cabin. Best, Beth C.

Betsy Speert said...

Carol Ray, YES!
It has a toilet and a sink with an outdoor shower, as well as a coffee maker.

defaziolinda said...

i

defaziolinda said...

I MUST have a coffee maker!!! And lots of books! I am looking for a little place as my lease is up - and so when I do find a place I shall steal, sorry, borrown all your ideas, change them a bit and make them mine! I love your blog!

Di said...

This is charming I love it and since yellow is my happy color I'd be happy to cottage sit forever.

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

How charming and cozy is that cottage! I love the idea of the board and batten shutters hanging on the inside walls...very pretty.The floral fabric is to just die for...I could spend hours in that cottage just reading and drinking my tea...what a wonderful retreat.
XO Barbara

fixitfaerie said...

I, too, could just move right in. Love it. I don't know your voice, but, in my mind I hear you, when you say 'klass', and 'ok campers'. I guess it takes back to SNL in the '70's. Too funny. Gotta go, meeting and old friend, old two ways, for lunch. Have a great day. Paula

Burlap Luxe said...

It true l'y does not get any better then this...

So adorable.

Xx
Happy February to you my dear.

Doré

Mary said...

So neat, and I love how you decorated. I hope you post a picture of the bathroom-they're very important.

Mary
From Virginia

Anonymous said...

I adore that log cabin. Saddle notches are troublesome and expensive, that guy knew what he was doing. And pleasing dimensions which is also difficult. I would like to talk with the builder, I just finished building my own log cabin though mine is somewhat larger I'll bet we both solved similar problems.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...