Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Painted Sewing Cabinet

Lately I seem to be having a little crush on old sewing cabinets.
They're a fun size to paint.
They're easy to carry up and down my cellar stairs.
They're cute.
I like them.
Problem is......
Every time I paint one for resale, I want to keep it.....
But this time I'm going to put my big girl pants on and take it into
in Boston.
Sooooooo......
Here's a picture of it all finished.....
I bought it looking like this.....
My sister, Nancy, saw it like this and loved the painted flower details.
WELL.....
I DIDN'T!!!!!
They looked weird painted on the dark wood.
The paint job was very amateurish..... 
And.....
I didn't understand the choice of the blue top with the dark wood of the cabinet.
But the inside was really cool!!!!

Sooooooo.......
I sanded the flowers so that the detail wouldn't show through the new paint...
And I whipped out my Cream color Chalk Paint,,,,,
And slapped a coat over the offending sight.
Then.....
True to form.....
the tannin started to bleed through.....
so I spayed it with a coat of shellac....
then, I added another coat of Cream Chalk Paint.
I love this color.
It's all lemony and buttery and yummy.
Yes, you're right.....
My mind is always circling around thoughts of food.....
Then I got out the Pure White and added some detailing.
I had just gotten a new stencil that looked like a ruler.....
I bought it with this piece in mind.
It worked out
 PERFECTLY!!!!! 
If you're a DIYer, you know that doesn't happen too often.....

I painted a ruler on both the front and back of the top.....
At this point, I tried to convince myself that the top was done.....
that it didn't need a stripe around the curved part.....
'cuz I wasn't sure I could do one!!!!!
Wellllll.......
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!
I had striping tape that I bought a while ago.
So I played around with it.
I first tried paint tape, but it wouldn't bend properly around the curve, it kept bunching up.
This tape, if you pull it a little, can be curved without creasing.
So, I applied one, following the edge of the half circle.
Then I applied a second one, eyeballing the spacing.....
I must admit.....
I impressed the hell out of myself!!!!!
Then I taped the drawers using Frog Tape.
It's the first time I tried it, but after hearing other bloggers talking about it,
 I thought I'd give it a go.
It worked like a charm.
Now it was time for the numbers.
I had bought a larger set in my most recent stencil purchase
 from Maison De Stencil
After handpainting the numbers on the back of Miriam's chairs.....
I couldn't believe how easy it was to stencil numbers.
I just had to clean up the number One a little....
Because I used chalk paint, it's easy to adjust lines using a little water and my thumbnail.
Just make sure you do it before you wax.
So here's a side by side

I'm becoming somewhat obsessed with redoing furniture.
I'm so lucky I have places to sell it.
Because, otherwise my basement would be overflowing.

Latah, Gatah 
Photobucket
Partying at:
Primitive and ProperA Bowl Full of LemonsOrganize and Decorate EverythingPhotobucketA Delightsome Lifeshabby creek cottagePhotobucketgiveawaysFrench Country Cottagevif187<b>Add my button to your sidebar!</b>504 MainFunky Junk InteriorsIt's Overflowing

sunday_button_featMotivatedMondayatBeColorfulBetween Naps On the PorchDIY-project-parade-button-thumbnailBoogieboard CottageMakeitPrettyMondayPhotobucketMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaPhotobucketHome Stories A to ZMiss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

50 comments:

Judi said...

I love what you did. It is so cute....

Starr said...

I thought the original was sweet, but I'm an amateur and don't have high expectations. However, I really like what you did with the piece. And I've never seen that type of cabinet before. Must find one now!

20 North Ora said...

I have a couple of those cabinets and think they are so sweet! Yours turned out just fantastic.

Judy

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

You are PROLIFIC! I love this sewing cabinet! The detail is perfect! I would not have been able to let this darling piece go!

Olive said...

Darling piece and you took it up several knotches. The rulers on top go so well with a sewing cabinet.

Miss Char said...

Wonderful transformation on this piece, the top is unusual and fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

That is the cutest sewing table that ever was! It was cool to learn about the tape that curves like that too!

Cindy

Amy Chalmers said...

yes PROLIFIC is a good word!! And your awesome skill set is showing~really looks great. The ruler really rules! I have to get some number stencils myself...the little cabinet is darling.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the cabinet...you did such a terrific job and love your creativeness with the numbers and the "ruler"....you must have had a "pretty great instructor" as your project is perfection!!!...

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Beautiful! Love it!

Nutbird said...

After seeing those tables for years, I never knew that the sides opened up! So ingenious. You did a great job! You are turning into a painting ninja. An n

Cyndia said...

Very charming!

sweet violets said...

I've always loved those old sewing cabinets, and you did this one proud!!! You have such a good eye and good taste too (no pun intended as a reference to food)....love the ruler on top and the numbers, very classy!!!

Lana said...

Love it. I need to keep my eyes open for one of those cabinets.

Cynthia said...

I love this table it is so creative. The ruler was brilliant. Great color.

Cynthia

Late Bloomers said...

LOL I have the same obsession, and yes without a sales venue my garage is full to overflowing... and we need to build a shed so the mower can come in out of the weather!

Ang
SoLongFarm.blogspot.com

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Betsy, this is so cute. I love the ruler part on the top. That kicks it up to such a great level.

And I loved seeing the chair below. It turned out so well. In truth, I never realized everything it took to upholster a chair so in the future I won't look askance when my upholster tells me it's going to cost a pint of blood, an arm and a gam. ;-)

XO,

Sheila

fixitfaerie said...

Well, everyone has already said they like the ruler part on the top, so, ditto.
Did I miss it, or did you paint the inside too? I have 3 vintage sewing machine cabinets, but only want to paint 2. The other one was my Grandma's, and she taught me how to sew on it, so it has a special place in my heart, so NO paint. x Paula

Unknown said...

Im with you, it was ugly before but BEAUTIFUL now!!! LOVE the ruler idea and adore the numbers! :D

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Sew sweet! The graduated sizes of the numbers is very creative. Of course the yardstick/ruler! Being a seamstress I find having a measure printed on something useful as well as beautiful. Don't know when you have time to eat or sleep. Glad your creative genius has a place to shine.

Pondside said...

I'd have walked right by the original - love what you've done with it. Well done with all the lines and stencils!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

love the job you did on this. couldn't be any cuter!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Betsy,
Sweet cabinet. Everytime I stop by for a visit I read and laugh and leave with a smile. Thank you my dear.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Cassie Bustamante said...

so much cuter! the top is really fun.

Heather M said...

Oooh. Love this! Great job.

foreverdecorating said...

Fabulous, I have one to paint and this gives me inspiration.

Lifein1000sqft said...

Love what you did to the sewing cabinet. Visiting from A Diamond in the Stuff.

The White Pear Tree said...

I can't believe the ruler stencil fitting so perfectly and suiting the purpose of the cabinet!! The odds were one to a billion, I think.

Beautiful piece, I wish I could find one like that!

And also, I had never heard of striping tape, and I thought I knew everything. Just goes to show you.

Miss Lady Aga said...

I have one of these just like yours in my attic. You have inspired me to something with it!! Thank you!

Shirley

Karen said...

That is beautiful, the ruler and numbered drawers are perfect.

Anonymous said...

Just saw you when I linked up at The Charm of Home - I LOVE what you did with this piece. It's beautiful!! :)
Claire

Life at Still Woods said...

Don't you just love old sewing machine cabinets? They have such wonderful little nooks and crannies. You did a terrific job with this cabinet! I am visiting from Time Travel Thursday and am your newest follower. Would love to have you visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse!

Bethany@http://thislittleestate.blogspot.ca/ said...

I love what you did with this piece! I love the ruler on top, and the light yellow and the numbers! EVERYTHING! I want it... too bad I didnt live closer!

Mimi said...

What a fab transformation. I used to see these sewing tables in thrift shops all the time. Never thought one could end up looking this good.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful makeover!!!
Would love to find a piece like that!

Danielle said...

Lovely! I have a big crush on sewing cabinets too! I love how your's came out!

Anonymous said...

This turned out beautifully! I've never been into these cabinets, seeing them as dated, until I saw your version. It will sell in a flat second!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What a pretty sewing cabinet redo, Betsy--well done!

Unknown said...

Very pretty. :)

the cape on the corner said...

love the shape of that thing! great paint job!

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Wow! You really impressed the hell out of me , too! LOVE the idea of the measuring tape on the top! Will remember that if I ever find one again. Thanks for sharing! I pinned this to my Pinterest board, "Painted Furniture"

Madonna said...

You did an excellent job, and you made the correct decision by painting over the tole flowers. I love tole, but it was inappropriate for the finish. I always cringe a little when diy'rs paint furniture, but in this case you made a great decision.

Kathy said...

Love what you did, Betsy - this is a marvelous piece - I'd have a hard time parting with it! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

DIYbyDesign said...

What a gorgeous piece. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

New fan here! What a beautiful job you did! I would LOVE for you to come link up to my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-7.html

Lisa
Fresh Eggs Daily

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

Simply gorgeous - I love every single bit of it, you are truly talented! I saw it featured on the Shabby Creek Cottage and came over to pin it. Can't wait to check out your other projects - this is one of the best redo-s I've seen.
Thanks!

Unknown said...

This sewing cabinet looks amazing! I love the details you added. I'm a huge fan of refinishing furniture as well. I'd love for you to check out some of my projects at http://frugaltofab.blogspot.com/

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Loved your cabinet Betsy so I had to feature it on this week's Motivated Monday at BeColorful so everyone could see it too.
p

Gloria said...

Nice job, I don't think the previous painted flowers were 'amateurish" though... I guess I agree with your sister, I thought it was attractive and the artist did a pretty job. Your rendition is modern though, with the chalk paint, that's the 'in' thing now... so great job!
Best,
Gloria

website said...

What a great idea. Very innovative.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...