Saturday, October 15, 2011

Stripping for a cause

Amy from Maison Decor asked what was going on with the walls in Miriam's dining room. Well, now I understand the true heartache of OCD. If you've been following this, I suggested Miriam strip the paint off the corner cupboard before she painted the wood work in the dining room because the old paint was gloppy and peeling off. She just needed to get if down to a stable tight layer of old paint, so the new paint wouldn't peel off with the old paint. I know she's been working really hard on this, but today I had her email me some progress pictures, and now I know why it's been taking so long. She is stripping it completely of all paint. OY!!! THIS IS NOT NECESSARY!!!!! I want to get this room done before I die of old age.

So I suggested she wash it down with mineral spirits and steel wool, and work any glop out of crevices with a scraper or razor blade, then sand the whole thing lightly with a fine sand paper to take care of the raised grain that is NOW EXPOSED because she stripped it down to bare wood.
All this is in answer to Amy's question of when I was going to put the fabric on the walls. WELL I CAN'T UNTIL THE WOOD WORK IS PAINTED!!!!!
P.S. It is NOT necessary to strip the back wall (which is plaster) of any paint. I know, I know, when I first did DYI I didn't have a clue either, but that was SO LONG AGO, that it's hard to remember.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your niece seems really talented and persistent. Good follow-through, Miriam!

Amy Chalmers said...

Geez Miriam, don't you know Auntie is going to her fabulous Florida pad soon for the winter?? I know you are reading this blog of Aunties, so get going and do as you are told and lets get this dining room finished!

Betsy Speert said...

I have to apologize to Miriam, the back of the cabinet was not plaster but wood and she finished stripping the body today, so tomorrow we prime!

Betsy Speert said...

I would also like to point out that the comment by anomymous, above, is my NEICE MIRIAM!

Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound like something your niece would say.

Anonymous said...

Now girls ....

Kris

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...