Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Family room continued

Some of my favorite possessions are items that I got for clients and that they didn't like. I brought this painting to a client in Boston's back bay, thinking it would be a real plus to the look of their living room, but they couldn't see beyond the ugly frame, (I also think that they couldn't appreciate a painting unless it was an artist that they had heard of, or a very expensive piece of work. I should have put a higher price on it.)



This is my favorite painting that I own. I thought I would get a frame that was better suited to the piece, but when I took it out of the frame, I really liked it just by itself. 


Of course, I can't have a bare area on a wall, without adding plates. My father thinks they detract from the artwork, but I think it's just cozier.
The plates are from my collection of Wannopee lettuce leaf pottery.
Majolica green Lettuce Pottery was made by the New Milford Majolica Co. organized in 1887. The company changed the name to WANNOPEE in 1892. The most famous design was the "lettuce leaf" and had a series of different manufacturing marks over the years. The company was liquidated in 1904. I love this pattern so much that I have some of it on the walls of my Florida home too.


 
There are a lot of advantages to living in a condo, but one of the disadvantages is a conformity of exterior design. Of course, this is not a disadvantage when dealing with my neighbors, but is a disadvantage when I CAN'T DO WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!
The casement windows don't have muntins (what most people call mullions), you know, the wooden grills that divide the window into a grid. I don't like the look of just one big piece of glass, to me it's not cozy (there I go with that word again). So I figured NO ONE WOULD SEE THE BACK OF MY UNIT, 'cuz it's hidden by bushes and trees. Sooooooo, I bought snap in grids for the back of my house, hoping I wouldn't get caught. (I know, I know, now it's on the Internet, but don't worry, I WAS CAUGHT).

Here's the way it looked without grids.




I don't feel that this looks cozy, so I found out that Pella (the makers of my windows), and Anderson (the maker of my sliding doors) sells snap in grills. Boy was I excited. I wanted to run around my condo complex and share the good news, only I would get into trouble. I tell ya, it's hard for me to keep my mouth closed, so of course the info did leak out.

Here it what it looked like after I committed my act of rebellion.




That's all for now, I still have a lot more to say about this space. Oy, can I go on or what?
Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

Well it is cozier! I think it looks so much better with them than without. Really like the lettuce plates around the painting. Those losers, I mean, clients, lost out on a painting, but you benefited from it, so all is good. Keep going with the story!

Anonymous said...

I love the grids and totally agree with you... much cozier! Were you able to keep them?

Holly said...

The grids make a huge difference...much more cottagey! You sure are a master at accessorizing a home!

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, I love your home. However; I would love to see the outside of your home and patio. I think that would make a great post or posts. Thanks June

Terra remodeling in columbus said...

I just love your style - it's so chic and romantic....elegant and cozy - I agree, I would love to see what you've done with the outside of the house!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...