Thursday, July 30, 2015

How to Keep a Sea of White From Being Bland

Soooooooooooooo.........
Let me now show you guys the rest of Connie's living room as we work our way through the many problems of decorating a white room.
As you may know, if you've been following my work for the past few millennia.....
I don't usually use a lot of white in my designs.  
So, when I do, since it's not my usual pallet, I explore a room with less familiarity than my usual attack.
Connie and I wanted this room to have a lot of personality, this way we would use the white as a foil for wonderful pieces that we picked up in our explorations of antique emporiums all the way down to true junk stores.
We started with an antique pair of metal flamingos, as we can't seem to tear ourselves away from their wonderful shape.
In Connie's previous Florida home, we had them everywhere in her living room.
But in that house they were more of the 1940's and 50's junk store variety.
These babies are a different category of object d'art. 
They aren't exactly level.....
so they need a trip to the welding doctor to straighten them out.
This will happen this fall when nurse Betsy is back in town.
They form a nice vertical division in the middle of the space.
Now, if we could only find some artwork.......
luckily.....
we did, 
and I will show you guys in the next post, 
maybe.
We needed new coffee tables, as the one Connie had from her last house was too primitive for this one.
It's the wooden one shown in the picture below.
We needed something that would work with the Gustavian pieces we had chosen for this room.
I found this one from Niermann Weeks at the M-Geough showroom in the Boston Design Center
I chose a black rusty finish, a I wanted it to have a somewhat garden table vibe.
I don't know why, it just seemed the right direction to go because of another piece in the room, which I will show you guys in
another upcoming post!!!!!
I love the way it works with the Louis XVI game table.
Now we just have to figure out what to put on it.
Connie has a large garden trough from her last house on it.
it's not going to stay there!!!!!
right Connie?????
The big block of white that the bookshelves created bugged me.
I suggested
 (gently to Connie.....I think a sledge hammer may have been involved.....)
that the inside of the bookshelves would look better if they were painted to match the blue of the walls.
She wasn't sure she wanted to.
She isn't as afraid of my sledge hammer as she used to be.
But she caved to my whining, and had them painted.
I think it made a massive difference.
Here's the side by side.
When I get my way.....
it's very exciting!!!!!
On that note.
Latah, Gatah

Photobucket

8 comments:

cindy hattersley design said...

Those flamingos are to die for...love the coffee table...totally agree about the inside of the cabinets. Can't wait to see the artwork!!

Anonymous said...

Love the metal flamingos and totally agree with painting the insides of the bookcases blue....it balances the white. You are a ROCKSTAR!!
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Connie should not question the pro!! Love the blue on the back of the bookcases and that garden trough is great but not on that table....What color blue is that? So pretty!!

Mobile App Developers said...

Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

Dolores said...

Wow..that is one hell of a gorgeous room! Luckily Connie doesn't have a 'thick head' because you were spot in in all your decisions :-)
Love the pair of flamingoes !! I actually have an antique blue oil painting that has a prominent flamingo as the dominant feature..But that has to stay over my fireplace :-)

Di said...

The flamingos are perfect,love them. Too, painting the inside of the bookcases really makes them pop. Thank you Betsy for always making me laugh!

cotedetexas said...

just gorgeous! wondering about the bookshelves - the middle is open and then its has a cabinet? is that a faux door?

Stacey said...

Gorgeous! Those flamingos are definitely a winner! I love the garden gate back on the wall too.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...