Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mixing Patterns in a Room

OK Kampers.....
Let's get back to Connie's Vermont dining room.
To refresh your weakening memories.....
here's an overall shot of the room.
Traditional Home Magazine 2004
If you've been following this blog....
 (and shame on you if you haven't), 
she loves the color coral, as shown in her Florida home.
Here's a shot of her Flerida beach house living room with tons of coral accents.
Sooooo.....
We used coral as the main colorway in her mountain dining room.
We started with the buffalo check, which I had used in the living room, and then found a wallpaper that worked with it.

When I want to do an open flowing color-scheme for part of a house, I use some of the same fabrics in each room.
I just use them differently in each space.
In the living room, I used the check on a club chair, 
so in the dining room, I used it on the draperies.

We really lucked out when I went to look for a floorcovering.
I found this wonderful Sarouk woven rug at Stark that matched the color scheme perfectly!!!!!
Then I found the chair fabric, and it all just fell together.

If you believe it was really that easy, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.....

Anyway.....
I wanted to edge the hanging lampshade with a detail that had the same feel as the room, and couldn't believe it when I found this tassel trim mounted on a plaid ribbon.
I mean.....
who would ever make a trim with a plaid ribbon and tassels?????
I obviously am just using the same picture and blowing it up for my detail shot.
That's why it's so blurry.....
I really need to get up to Vermont and take some decent pictures.
I love the look of  checked fabric made into draperies!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's sunny,
finally,
so I'm going to go sit on my terrace,
read a trashy book about witches,
and have a nice cool glass of water.

Soooooo.....
go outside and play,
and stop reading my stupid blog.....

On that note,
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

13 comments:

Laura's Rose Garden said...

Hey Betsy!
We went outside to play but it started to hail!!! So we came inside and started a fire and are now sipping wine and watching golf!!! Happy Mother's Day!
Laura.

Mary said...

Love this room! The checks are perfect, but I guess you know that ;)

Mary
From Virginia

truthbtold said...

Hay what's the name of the trashy novel about witches ! I could use a trashy book right about now. LOL

truthbtold said...

Love the room too ! Wonderful !

Divine Theatre said...

I WAS outside building garden walls out of Limelight Hydrangeas. Thirty planted...need ten more. I love my neighbors but hate their swingset! I hope these plants grow fast!

I have decided that I NEED checked draperies. Thanks for planting that seed; as if I didn't have ENOUGH to do!

xo

Andie

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy

I love how you put together all the design elements and patterns, and am a little encouraged that it isn't entirely effortless for you. As I have become a faithful deciple of your techniques there is one big looming question that keeps popping up in my little mind. If you wouldn't mind sharing where you typically go to find trims, fabrics, and wallpapers, it would help me. That is, of course, if these resources are only available to the trade -- which you can probably tell. I've scoured ebay (perhaps too successfully) for many treasures in an effort to emulate your style. But finding coordinating fabrics and wallpaper are proving more difficult.

Thanks, Penelope Tucker

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the humorless post above. You do deserve better. :-)

Penelope Tucker

Romi said...

I love buffalo check fabric and have it in my house. Thank you for sharing the tip about using the same fabric in different ways for open rooms. I happen to have an open floor plan so this idea is fabulous. You are all kinds of awesome, Betsy!

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Betsy, You are one talented lady!

Charlotte Des Fleurs said...

Hi Betsy, Love the way you use tall, large scale furniture in rooms with normal height ceilings. Most people out there do not have the 10' or higher ceilings that are often featured in shelter magazines. The tall furniture makes the walls look taller.

AND love your use of large scale plaids. Great design is NOT for the faint of heart!

Smiles from My Slice of Provence,

Charlotte Des Fleurs

Vikki said...

Hey Betsy, Once again I love everything! Thanks for sharing your expertise and your entertaining writing skill. Vikki in VA

Sweet Designs said...

Hi Betsy,

I am so enjoying your blog! You are hilarious! And your talent, well, you are sooooo good! I have a collection of your designs from magazines I have purchased thru the years, I'm so glad you decided to blog!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I am such a FREAK for buffalo checks...gingham....checks in general...I can't seem to help it! So I LOVE these rooms! LOVE THEM!! I enjoy your blog so much and read it all the time but rarely leave a comment...what is up with that? So today, I broke the cycle! Love your style!

Lou Cinda :)

PS Got some real interesting comments up there. I have gotten some of those too....must be spam...I enjoy this information very much....LOL

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...